A sad ending to a wonderful but short life for Ollie

It is with a heavy heart that i signed away the papers on #1285 today. She lived a brief though exciting life and her replacement will be loved just as much. A few trips with my parents around the Texas hill country and an incredible trip from San Antonio TX to Fairbanks AK and most of the way back. For those that were ever curious, while Ollies can certainly hold up significantly better than stick trailers if rolled the repair cost is simply too great and insurance will likely total it as they have mine. Im not interested in nitpicking why it rolled other than saying it was my own fault as there were several compounding mistakes i made that caused this. Fortunately there is a bit of a silver lining in that insurance payout will actually be more than i originally paid for it and will sufficiently cover the cost of replacement which should be before the end of the year.

20230403_100110.jpg

20230513_200050.jpg

Aroura shot.jpg

20230514_145412.jpg

20230514_153515.jpg

20230514_145420.jpg

• Care 3
  • Sad 11

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

2022 Oliver Elite Hull #1285

2023 Oliver Elite Hull #1434

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

I have State farm comprehensive coverage. looking through the current build sheet with the payout theyre giving me should cover at least 98% of the cost of a 2023 as the price has increased quite a bit since last year but thats not too big of an issue for me. The truck did manage to escape unharmed aside from the hitch needing to be replaced.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

So sorry. We saw her on the lot in howenwald when we pickup up out LEII. I wondered how they would be able to put her back together.  Good luck and happy trails going forward.

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

Ouch!  That must have been really terrifying to experience.  Hope everyone is ok.  Stuff can be replaced, people can’t be.  When you are comfortable discussing what happened, your experience may be helpful to others towing.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

There is a sad beauty in those pictures.

We are all proud of our shiny new Olivers and tend to believe that they are "over built".  But, the proof is in the pudding!  It is in unfortunate situations like this that we can really be proud.

Can you give us any idea of how the interior faired?  I suspect that basically things were found intact.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

How often have we passed an unfortunate accident of a "stick built" trailer and seen a debris field of trailer pieces and strewn personal effects?  

The integrity of the Oliver structure is truly impressive.

Glad you and your tow vehicle remained upright.  Sometimes, "THINGS" happen. 

• Like 3

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Your story is a true testament to the love for an Oliver.

I am so glad no one was hurt.

I know you said you do not want to discuss the details of the rollover, but I would ask for the benefit of others if you might reconsider and start a thread on how and why it happened.  We all make mistakes, and a post event analysis is the best way to learn how to do better.  ❤️

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

Thank goodness no one was hurt, well maybe except for pride.  But that is a learning lesson.  Despite the appearance the hull stayed intact if you where able to get it back to the mothership.  In fact that your truck only had damage at the hitch is remarkable as well. To be sure though, I hope your insurance had the truck checked to make sure the frame wasn't bent.  Your wait for new Oliver probably is faster than last year I would think.  The fact you want another one is a testament to Oliver's build as well.  Even though you aren't ready to talk about, I hope once all this is processed in your thoughts you will share what went wrong.  Do it when you are ready, even if it takes more than a year before the time comes. Could of should of hindsight is great but until you experience the situation you can't learn from it 

• Like 2

ALAZARCOFLGAKSKYLAMSMTNENVNMNYOHOKPATNTX

#837 started this new traveling experience in the summer of 2021 and loving it.

TV is 2020 Durango Citadel or 2021 Dodge 1500 diesel V6.  2021

5 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Sorry to hear about your rollover, but glad to hear your insurance will cover a replacement.  I wonder what Oliver will do with your old one?  Mike

I would think the insurance company owns it now since paying out claim, so it probably will be taken where insurance companies take totaled out vehicles.

• Like 2

ALAZARCOFLGAKSKYLAMSMTNENVNMNYOHOKPATNTX

#837 started this new traveling experience in the summer of 2021 and loving it.

TV is 2020 Durango Citadel or 2021 Dodge 1500 diesel V6.  2021

7 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Can you give us any idea of how the interior faired?

Everything inside was pretty much intact aside from the bathroom wall being pushed in a bit. If the money was there it could have certainly been fixed. parts and materials cost was maybe 1/4 of the repair estimate and all the rest was labor as it would take quite a while for them to fix everything. Even the frame and axles were all still perfectly straight so the tow company i used to get it to the mothership simply replaced the bulldog coupler and towed it back.

6 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I wonder what Oliver will do with your old one?

I was told by the insurance that they had it picked it up today and will send it to a salvage auction. Honestly it would make a steal of a parts vehicle with all the upgrades that were on it if someone wanted to pull everything out and transplant them into a different trailer or van remodel.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

• Moderator+

Looking at the photos, this doesn’t appear to have actually “roiled.” If it had, the air conditioner and solar panels would have been destroyed. It looks like it just flipped onto its side and slid for a bit. 

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

@ScubaRx thats exactly what happened. When it went over it broke the hinge pin on the bulldog so it was just the chains keeping me attached to it. It slid maybe 40-50 feet on its side as it pulled me sideways. the crack in the AC housing and missing TV antenna were from where it hit one of those black plastic poles on the side of the road.

• Care 2
  • Sad 2

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8