Upgraded Audio/Visual System

jd1923

• Moderators
6 hours ago, jd1923 said:

SeaDawg, delete those old dusty TVs, clean up your space visually and save about 20 lbs. in the rear of your Ollies! And btw, thanks for taking interest in my installation thread, even though TV A/V is not your thing!

Your installation is clean, and pretty. And, I love reading about well-planned, well-executed mods, like yours.

Our older (2008/2009) trailers had the tiny Jensen 12v TV, in the corner, silver frame. So old, the system has an integrated cd player (@!!), but no Bluetooth, etc. It doesn't fold up. 

When it dies, we'll probaby take it out, and patch the holes, tuck the wiring up in the attic,  case our daughter wants to use it someday. Lots of other projects in the meantime. 

Do relocate the exit stickers. 

Here's our tiny "black eye."

Screenshot_20230722_230852_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Nice work, John! Too bad that you couldn't find a 12V monitor, but I'm not sure they make such a thing.

We've only had our trailer since March, and have used the TV maybe three times, and only for streaming. I added a cellular-embedded router and an Apple TV, so I don't need a "smart TV". A monitor would work except for when we eventually get somewhere without cellular service and I can use the omni-directional antenna for terrestrial TV. At some point I'd like to swap for a 12V TV, and then I'll convert the Apple TV to 12V, too.

I've only used the inbuilt audio a couple of times, but it sounds like low-end car audio to me. I've used the TV's speaker when streaming. I did notice that the speaker over the closet booms a lot, using the entire closet as a speaker box. I'd imagine that a foam speaker cover over the back would do wonders for the mediocre sound. I'm using a Sonos Move for streaming audio, inside and out. It has almost too much bass for that big reflective interior. It's probably a good thing that my hearing isn't as discerning as it used to be...

One of our better financial moves was subscribing to XM Radio back when they had a lifetime subscription for $485. We got two licenses in 2008, and have transferred them to each new vehicle, plus using the streaming app on the phone. As of now, we are at an average subscription cost of $2.69/month and dropping!

(The router is still using the stub antennas, and not permanently mounted. I have an external antenna, but haven't yet convinced myself to drill a big hole in the roof!)

IMG_9434.thumb.jpeg.6f082ff018807462b07dd67b01048404.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

Thanks Steve, for your addition. Wish I had your SiriusXM package! I never thought I would want Sat radio, before traveling in the west. Our local FM stations fade quickly, and we have to seek 2-3 different stations, just driving from home to the Phoenix valley. 

Yes, you need a TV to include a TV tuner for broadcast TV and a decent antenna, roof-mount will have greater range. We can hardly get broadcast stations up at elevation. At home they bounce the Phoenix digital broadcasts off Mingus Mountain and we get about 30 stations, all but NBC. Camping we can get a few stations or none.

I wasn't interested in 12V DC A/V components, since the Blu-ray, Dish Wally and most require 120V AC. I never fear running the inverter all day & night with this solar/battery setup. My last RV had less capacity (315 AH AGM and 1800W inverter), a system I installed, and it was always adequate to play music for hours, watch TV at night, and make coffee, run microwave in the morning, before the sun is strong. Out here in the SW you can count on sun 9/10 days!

It amazes me, the pictures I've seen, how newer OTT models have a 12V DC sub-panel in the attic. Love to know what all the 12V fuses connect to. Ours does not have this sub-panel. And what a funky install, with each wire running through its own separate hole in the panel! My side panel removes easily, and I mounted the TV monitor power supply behind the panel.

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

5 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

how newer OTT models have a 12V DC sub-panel in the attic.

We have a 2023 and there’s no DC sub-panel in the attic.

• Wow 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

15 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

We have a 2023 and there’s no DC sub-panel in the attic.

Must be for specific options. Steve, or somebody with such panel, please let us know how the fuses are marked. Thanks

I added the funky panel. 🤣

It is fed from the 12ga wire that used to go to the 12V cigarette outlet. Then it feeds the outlet, Sirocco fan, Alexa Echo Dot, and Pepwave router. It will later also feed the second fan and Apple TV. 

I ran the wires through the holes for the most direct route to the panel. Each has an insulation sleeve on it where it passes through the panel, and all are gathered in a bundle and wrapped in a wire wrap behind the panel. It is actually a much cleaner install behind there than any of Oliver’s jumble of wires. 😉

• Like 2

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

8 hours ago, jd1923 said:

It amazes me, the pictures I've seen, how newer OTT models have a 12V DC sub-panel in the attic. Love to know what all the 12V fuses connect to. Ours does not have this sub-panel. 

IMG_2964.thumb.jpeg.272394a9cd62b5e66dd7ac40ab12ea7d.jpeg

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5405-how-to-disconnect-the-attic-blue-sea-circuit-breaker-backlight-10-milliamp-phantom-drain/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

14 hours ago, jd1923 said:

It amazes me, the pictures I've seen, how newer OTT models have a 12V DC sub-panel in the attic. Love to know what all the 12V fuses connect to. Ours does not have this sub-panel. 

Our 2019 Elite II has that 12v fuse panel in the attic next to the EMS remote display.  Pics attached of that plus the one under the dinette.  The cover of the attic fuse panel also has a handy fuse puller included.  There are a lot of variations in Oliver trailer builds over the years due to component substitutions, options and production line deviations/on the fly changes.  We’ve joked on this forum that there probably aren’t any two identical Oliver trailers, especially in the early days of the first couple hundred trailers.  

IMG_2738.jpeg

IMG_2735.jpeg

IMG_2734.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

I added the funky panel. 🤣 It is fed from the 12ga wire that used to go to the 12V cigarette outlet... It is actually a much cleaner install behind there than any of Oliver’s jumble of wires. 😉

Now that I understand this panel is an owner's addition, it's really less funky, and instead it's actually very good work! In a manufacturing environment, it would be odd to work it that way. They would want a full assembly to mount quickly, and I agree yours is a cleaner install. Good use of the 12V outlet feed, since you have multiple 12V DC appliances. I have these cigarette lighter style outlets in the OTT and my TV and do not use any of them. I prefer the ones that have the USB built in. My A/V installation is all 120V AC, but I do plan to disconnect the same 12V DC source to connect a bedroom fan at some point. Thanks Steve.

1 minute ago, jd1923 said:

it's really less funky, and instead it's actually very good work!

Nice save! 😂

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

6 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

I prefer the ones that have the USB built in

Over the years, I've had too many USB style outlets fail, and of course USB specs change (now going to USB-C as standard.) So I use the simple 12V cigarette outlet, albeit a good quality one from Blue Sea, and then stick whatever style adapter needed into that. My external 12V outlets will be Andersen Power Pole style.

• Like 2

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

2 hours ago, Frank C said:

Our 2019 Elite II has that 12v fuse panel in the attic next to the EMS remote display... There are a lot of variations in Oliver trailer builds over the years due to component substitutions, options and production line deviations/on the fly changes.  We’ve joked on this forum that there probably aren’t any two identical Oliver trailers, especially in the early days of the first couple hundred trailers.

Frank, thank you for sharing your pictures. You would think the opposite would be true, where early in production they would have variations and later they would standardize on best practices. Love the pic John shared. I mentioned in another thread that this model is the "lost in Space" version!

I had a feeling that those of you with power awnings would have this subpanel, which makes sense requiring the two 20A DC circuits. We old hulls have the manual Fiamma awning, manual as in will hardly ever use it. Dual power awnings - priceless!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

... and of course USB specs change (now going to USB-C as standard.) 

The Samsung TV Monitor installed here has USB-C port to connect a laptop, for charging and likely for many other uses.

16 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

My external 12V outlets will be Andersen Power Pole style.

That's the way to go, IMO.  The Anderson Power Pole system is pretty tough to beat - its "bombproof".

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
6 hours ago, jd1923 said:

had a feeling that those of you with power awnings would have this subpanel, which makes sense requiring the two 20A DC circuits. We old hulls have the manual Fiamma awning, manual as in will hardly ever use it. Dual power awnings - priceless!

We use our manual awning all the time. I'd personally rather have a manual awning than power. It's so small (elite I) it's minutes to roll it up, or out.

We also run on agm batteries, 2 x 105, so, we need to conserve power ,and a power awning wouldn't work for us, in that regard, since we rarely camp with hookups .

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

We use our manual awning all the time. I'd personally rather have a manual awning than power.

Agreed 100%, wish we had the option of a manual awning! 

• Like 2

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

We use our manual awning all the time. I'd personally rather have a manual awning than power.

Same here.  A manual awning offers simplicity and reliability.

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Anyone of you wanna trade a powered model, for my Fiamma, done in a heartbeat! Perhaps easy on the baby Ollie, but what a pain to unwind. It's coming down, better duck. Can't have your entrance door open, like the newer model. Then mount the side supports, crank them out left and right, role it out some more, lengthen the supports again. No such thing as opening it up just a few feet, the feature I like most about modern power awnings. To each their own, yeah.

This has been fun, and I appreciate everybody's + reactions and posts. Time for me to add my last installation post...

The final need is to fold up the TV, to the attic ceiling, for unobstructed view out of the rear window. Some of you may think my final install is not "professional" but it's easy, clean, and keeps the TV snug, just 2" from the ceiling. BTW, on our maiden voyage we drove 220 miles, 50 miles on dirt, much of it washboard, with the TV in the down position, and all was fine! This TV install can travel in the up or down position, either way no problem.

I installed two hardware store 3/8" eyelets about 3" left and right of the TV, at the front of the attic (should have gone 4", so that the metal of the bungee would not touch the TV, to fix I will add sleeve). Marking the correct spot, left and right is not trivial, with all the Oliver curves. Then drill the 3/8" holes and mount with 2" fender washers, above and below the ceiling. Then I needed to find the right strap, bungee, cable or something. Shopping for this was not easy. I did so many Amazon searches. It had to be HD (strong and taught) and I was wanting white. I settled on Blue, which is what my wife calls her accent color for our Oliver! I ended up with this: Amazon.com: Extreme Max 3006.2786 BoatTector High-Strength Line Snubber & Storage Bungee, Value 2-Pack - 24" with Compact Hooks, Blue : Tools & Home Improvement

The blue bungee is a nice match in color to the bolsters we bought for our evening TV watching: https://www.amazon.com/Retrospec-Sequoia-Yoga-Bolster-Pillow/dp/B092DYYR5W/ref=sr_1

Without measuring, I would think the OTT factory installed TV sits a good 3-4 inches lower. The pics would look better if we were not also cleaning our windows and blinds, and the lovely bedspreads from the prior owner!IMG_1517.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1513 (1).JPG

• Wow 1

Lastly, what about the remotes? There are always too many, right? I mounted a couple of parts bins, I had on-hand. One bin for the Oliver installed remotes, and one bin for the newly installed components (TV, Blu-ray, Dish Wally, and soundbar remotes). The TV remote will change volume on the soundbar, pause a DVD and more.

OMG, even our Rummikub game has the perfect place, snug fit top of the nightstand drawer! Best wishes y'all. We love this OTT Forum. You guys are great!

Remotes.jpg

On 7/21/2023 at 3:11 PM, SeaDawg said:

Any light in the bedroom is disturbing to me.

My wife concurs 100%.  The TV power cord is always removed as part of our pre-slumber checklist to eliminate the illumination of a bothersome red LED.  It's amazing how many LEDs are everywhere in our OTT when it officially "Lights-Out".  Ugh.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Thanks Art. We haven't slept in our new Oliver more than a few nights yet, but in past RVs I've worked to install small patches over some of those annoying little LEDs. Please let Diane know the monitor in our new system has no LED light, when it's off, it's lights out and dark!

• Like 1