Rock Guard

HDRider

Notice the rock guard on the front of this silly aluminum trailer.

I'd like to see something like that on the beautiful Oliver.  It needs to be replaceable, repaintable, or so durable that it never shows wear.  It also has to be aesthetically  pleasing so it does not detract from the simple beauty of the Oliver.

I am guessing something like this needs to be put on before the two sets of clam shells are put in place.

image.thumb.png.24228d3c3dea0e72ffb0affad019ffad.png

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

As a prior owner of an airstream Basecamp X, I wasn’t particularly impressed with my segment protectors.  They resonated/vibrated at highway speeds, and there are multiple reports of attachment fatigue on the shell. I think rock tamers or  mud flaps on the tv and some sort of protective film on the front of the trailer might be a better solution.

• Like 4

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

1 hour ago, Rolind said:

As a prior owner of an airstream Basecamp X, I wasn’t particularly impressed with my segment protectors.  They resonated/vibrated at highway speeds, and there are multiple reports of attachment fatigue on the shell. I think rock tamers or  mud flaps on the tv and some sort of protective film on the front of the trailer might be a better solution.

Not looking to start an AS v. Oliver fight, if I was at all impressed with an AS I would have bought one.

We had come down to AS, Type X and Oliver.  The quality difference of the Oliver was a large margin.  I suspect Oliver would do a rock guard right, matching their overall build quality. 

It actually does have to be a separate piece.  I am no vehicle engineer, but the rough surface on the under panel of my truck is pretty tough, and you hardly notice it.  It is a textured surface shot with the body color and clear coat. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

No worries, our Basecamp saved us during Covid, but we like the Ollie better. Both great trailers.  I like your idea of the same material they treat auto rocker panels with.

• Like 3

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

Any FIXED guard on the trailer will deflect the rocks back at the tow vehicle, causing chips and dents in the paint. In the worst case, it will smash tail lights or the rear window.

https://rvdaily.com.au/how-to-keep-the-track-debris-off-the-front-of-your-trailer-part-two/

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2504-how-to-stone-stomper-gravel-guard/

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2505-how-to-subframe-gravel-guard/

Almost seven camping seasons and the trailer looks close to new top to bottom, and underneath too.. It is simply the best solution bar none..

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Well, if you (and your machine) are up to it, Sailrite has a video on creating your own "bra" for the Ollie front. If you bought discounted vinyl > than 23 Oz,  on totofabrics.com, and had the tools, probably could cut the commercial cost by more than half.

Going down a bunch of gravel, I'd probably still tape yoga mats under the bra.

And, not neglect proper rock guards, on the TV. 

https://www.sailrite.com/how-to-make-an-rv-front-cover

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We're both previous AS and Casita owners.  We installed Airstream-manufactured stainless steel rock guards on the quarter panels of both of our AS's - not a cheap date by any stretch.  On the Casita we did what many owners did for protection and had "Rhino-Liner" material applied - not only to front gelcoat areas but also to the wheel wells.  Also not a cheap date, and may take away some of the aesthetics of the rig.

For older rigs like, Casablanca, we're considering Rhino-Lining the front to "hide" the small dings in the gelcoat.  Probably a less expensive option than having the gelcoat repaired - but such a mod is WAY down the "to-do" list in this household.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Katjo said:

Our Rocktamers have done a great job keeping chips off our Ollie. 

Our Rocktamers generally do a good job, but if your travels include many miles of gravel, I'd add some kind of additional protection to the front of the trailer.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

18 hours ago, Katjo said:

Our Rocktamers have done a great job keeping chips off our Ollie. 

We're lov'n our's too!  If we decide to take a gravel road, it will usually be the exception and not the rule - and if so, it will be done very, very slowly.

670959359_Screenshot2023-07-27at16_12_10.thumb.png.0a1049fe0e9002d7398a682cc92e0797.png

• Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

On 7/26/2023 at 12:41 PM, HDRider said:

Notice the rock guard on the front of this silly aluminum trailer.

I'd like to see something like that on the beautiful Oliver.  It needs to be replaceable, repaintable, or so durable that it never shows wear.  It also has to be aesthetically  pleasing so it does not detract from the simple beauty of the Oliver.

I am guessing something like this needs to be put on before the two sets of clam shells are put in place.

image.thumb.png.24228d3c3dea0e72ffb0affad019ffad.png

Many of us use rock tamers and/or have covered part or the entire front of our Ollies with 3m or Xpel clear bra.  I have rock tamers and 3m clearbra.  The combo has worked well but I only drive gravel roads on the way into a camping site, nothing hardcore like the Yukon Highway.  For the Yukon etc, I would tape yoga mats on the front and behind the rear wheels as some on here have done.

• Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

@Tom and Doreen:  Thanks T & D!  

We don't have the auto bed step option, FYI.  

The only issues with the sensors are when the OTT is disconnected, the hitch/Rocktammers are still attached, and the TV is backing up - we have to remember to disengage the Rear Obstacle Alert and the Rear Crossing Track Alert; both of which will scream at the TV occupants and apply brakes automatically if not disengaged because the truck is sensing an incoming obstacle.  

We also must disengage these alerts when the hitch/Rocktammers are replaced with the bikes/rack.  

No biggie, IMO.

Cheers!

13 hours ago, Mountainman198 said:

• Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

www.Livelymachine.com custom fabricated “Rock Stoppers” and www.XPEL.com 10 mil paint protection has worked excellent protecting the front of our Ollie.IMG_0226.thumb.jpeg.4c1f7e7e8709c717be15897602cd1315.jpeg

Patriot🇺🇸

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka- “Beauty & the Beast” - 2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor

• Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Patriot said:

www.XPEL.com 10 mil paint protection

Hey, @Patriot; When able, could you post a close-up of the EXPEL, preferably in the area of its edge termination with the gelcoat?  Just curious...  TKX!  MAX

• Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

Hey, @Patriot; When able, could you post a close-up of the EXPEL, preferably in the area of its edge termination with the gelcoat?  Just curious...  TKX!  MAX

Here you go Max, long post..
XPEL is sorta hard to see and get photos of, but I think you will see where the trailing edge terminates. Here are a few pics I just took. No regrets with XPEL..it’s expensive but worth it to me to keep the gel coat clean and chip free. I had this installed shortly after our delivery date in June of 2020. So with 14k on our Ollie now the gelcoat still looks clean and chip free. I special ordered the thicker 10 mil for the Oliver project. Some folks look at gelcoat chips as patina or a badge of honor, nah, I look at as a very costly repair. 😎 
In 2021 we had our Super Duty completely covered in 8mil XPEL PPF it took our installer a week. In my experience over the last decade it’s the best PPF out there.
Pro tip-  If you already have existing gelcoat damage a professional installer won’t cover the chips with XPEL, if you find one that will cover damaged paint or gelcoat you have the wrong installer. XPEL PPF installed over any paint or gelcoat will only enhance the chip or damage, a total no go.

Our installer who is also a friend is excellent at his craft. (It’s all about the install).  We have had several cars and trucks covered with XPEL in the last 15 yrs.. It’s the best PPF in my experience. If you’re considering it you may want to get a quote from a local XPEL dealer it’s expensive, but so is repairing paint or gelcoat.
The company is based out of San Antonio, Tx but they have a dealer network across the US.

A pic of the termination point on street side front corner trailing edge. Look closely you’ll  see it. I had the bottom road rash blast area of the dog house and the entire length of the Olivers bottom quarter panels covered on each side as well. I just took this photo after our most recent 2200 mile trip. Naturally the Ollie had the SPA treatment after we got home. Between the Rock Stoppers and XPEL I have done all I can do to protect our gelcoat. 

IMG_9298.thumb.jpeg.daefece71817ccfa15bb1576c8a37910.jpeg

The custom “rock toppers” allow for use of back up OEM warning sensors. I like the look, fit and finish. 

IMG_2105.jpeg.609f4c695c2d0947c8061441747c624a.jpeg

The XPEL install shop..Sano. An old pic with our former Demonic Penguin bongo noise maker AC.
It now lives on a food truck somewhere here in NC. 😅

IMG_0998.jpeg.d3ea80f08f91c23aefbe15dc9d2b6998.jpeg

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka- “Beauty & the Beast” - 2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor

• Like 4

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

@Patriot:  Looks great, brother.  I just spoke with a local XPEL installer - he said the same about the small rock dings - we've got several.  The gelcoat repair on those dings isn't a show-stopper - but you're correct, installing 10mil XPEL isn't a cheap date.  He quoted $2,100 after the dings are fixed - is that in the ballpark?

• Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

• Moderators

Another question about the xpel, @Patriot. How do you maintain it? Is it inherently uv protective, or do you still have to wax?  How do you remove bug and tar splatters? 

It looks great, btw.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

3 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

@Patriot:  Looks great, brother.  I just spoke with a local XPEL installer - he said the same about the small rock dings - we've got several.  The gelcoat repair on those dings isn't a show-stopper - but you're correct, installing 10mil XPEL isn't a cheap date.  He quoted $2,100 after the dings are fixed - is that in the ballpark?

No. That’s is a lot more than I paid, then again I had it done in 2020. If you’re just talking about covering the two front corners it’s too high of a quote. The level of difficulty of the install is minimal. I would shop a few more quotes. Do you have chips and dings in your gelcoat?

• Like 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Another question about the xpel, @Patriot. How do you maintain it? Is it inherently uv protective, or do you still have to wax?  How do you remove bug and tar splatters? 

It looks great, btw.

Here is a good FAQ off their website which may help answer some of your questions. 😊

I use XPEL Ceramic Boost after I finish washing the Ollie, truck or car. 

https://www.xpel.com/faq

• Thanks 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, Patriot said:

Do you have chips and dings in your gelcoat?

Several very slight chips/dings from debris impact.

• 2022 TUNDRA

17 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

Several very slight chips/dings from debris impact.

I would repair before having any PPF installed, just me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 7/28/2023 at 3:53 PM, Patriot said:

No. That’s is a lot more than I paid, then again I had it done in 2020. If you’re just talking about covering the two front corners it’s too high of a quote. The level of difficulty of the install is minimal. I would shop a few more quotes. Do you have chips and dings in your gelcoat?

I covered both front corners with 3M Clearbra, from the belly band on down, for less than $50 DIY (including the purchase of two plastic squeegees and spray bottles for both the soapy slip and alcohol grip mixtures).  Mine is a foot wide.  Simple and easy to install if you take your time.  No rock issues have reached the gelcoat yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

1 hour ago, Mountainman198 said:

I covered both front corners with 3M Clearbra, from the belly band on down, for less than $50 DIY (including the purchase of two plastic squeegees and spray bottles for both the soapy slip and alcohol grip mixtures).  Mine is a foot wide.  Simple and easy to install if you take your time.  No rock issues have reached the gelcoat yet.

Did you cover the entire radius of the corner and the cover the lower areas of the dog house?
What thickness was the 3M PPF? Likely it is 8mil.  My XPEL installer used 3m many years ago, until he had issues with the 3m material beginning to “orange peel” and the material releasing post install. 

Good for you on the $50 install.  Pics of your install? 

Patriot🇺🇸

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg