Newbies taking the plunge - Are we missing anything

43 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

So, is it just that simple?  2/3 longer battery life?

Same roughly ten year battery life. (That's not what you meant, but just added for clarity.) Think of it as a bigger tank: You can go 640 Amps on a fill-up vs 390 Amps.

The 640 A/Hr batteries are also automatically self-heating, where the others have a heating mat under the batteries that you turn on.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg.d9d6547ab1cd0cc5803e63d1a54214de.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

The larger batteries 2 instead of 3)  are also within a UL Approved aluminum case. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

On 10/9/2023 at 4:50 AM, Dennis and Melissa said:

We've never owned a truck or a trailer.  My wife and I are retiring in 6 months and diving in with all 4 feet.  Tell me what we don't know please.

We looked at lots of trailers and are finally pulling the trigger on the LEII.
I've read a bunch of threads on here over the last year.  Very helpful.  But if you can point me to some that have already discussed this sort of  thing, I'd appreciate that, too.
We prefer simple: Everything we need, but nothing we don't.  So....

LEII - starting the ordering process today 🙂.  Scheduling factory tour soon.
Standard except as follows:
Twin Bed Floor Plan Two Upgraded Foam Mattresses
Hypervent for Twin Bed Floor Plan
Front & Rear Propane Quick Connects
Backup Camera with 4.3” display
Aluminum Storage Basket
Inside Basement Access Door
Auto Drain (push button drain valve) - What is this?
Door lock (do I need the electric one?)

TV - bought yesterday 🙂
Ram 1500 Laramie, 5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, class iv hitch, 9 pin connector, rear video
Approx 1,700 load capacity
Locking hard tonneau cover, bed liner

Miscellaneous side purchases (yet to be made)
Generator that runs on propane - to be carried in Ollie's storage basket
Surge protector (no idea what sort of electrical equipment I need for generator or shore power)
TPMS for trailer
Screen house
carpet for under awning
hoses, leveling blocks, antitheft?
tools?

Storage - We intend to use these toys a lot. Maybe even 6 months a year.
But, inevitably, they will get placed in storage when not in use.
We live in a FL subdivision, with no garage space for this size stuff.
So, I thinking I buy a cover for both.

Welcome to the family! 
I’m answering from the road, on my phone, so pardon my brevity: 

I own the 2022 Elite II, twin bed, upgraded mattress, solar (3 lithium batteries), composting toilet, convection microwave, the convenience power connection up front, and a front basket. I tow with a 2500 HD truck and a 2-5/16” hitch ball, so I didn’t need the Anderson hitch. I chose 20# propane tanks, after I learned what they weigh when full. I love everything about my Oliver; no regrets on any of my choices. 

If there’s an option for backup camera size, I’d recommend larger

TOYS & OTHER EQUIPMENT:

I am shopping generators. During my first OTT plant tour yesterday, Josh mentioned a newer model Honda 3200i that is smaller (fits in basket) and DUEL FUEL. It sounds pretty decent. I haven’t researched it yet. 

I bought the “Sand Mat” and love how it lets dirt and sand pass through. Look for sales, or used on REI. It’s not light weight, but comes with a storage bag. 

I have several electric adapters: 50 to 30, 15 to 30, and I’ve needed both for various purposes.  

Torque Wrench is a must (mine is hand powered, easy to use and lives under my back seat in the truck.) You might need to buy the right size fitting. 

This summer I’ve added:

COOKING: a Blackstone 17” propane griddle (great thread on this forum will give you lots of options and ideas); a third 20# propane tank in the back of my truck; a Duxtop electric Induction cooktop (has two model numbers on the box! BT-200DZ and 9610LS).
COMFORT: a DREO space heater model DR-HSH004-G that can run at eco setting using the battery (I never leave it on, as I didn’t need it running all night, including during 20+ degree temps, as I had winterized my trailer.) MAINTENANCE: a grease gun with extra fittings (see Jason’s excellent service video on Oliver Travel Trailer YouTube channel plus forum threads on greasing Zerks); a small mirror on a handle, to see some of the zerks, and other equipment in small spaces; a Combustible Gas Detector. 

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention, I’m from SW Florida and I cannot store my trailer at home. I opted not to buy the cover, and I rent a covered space in a secure storage facility. It’s north and inland from where I live, and it was worth the expense, as my Oliver didn’t suffer from Hurricane Ian last year, and was protected from UV. 

I’ve been on the road since early July (and I’m not home yet). I’ve only needed to empty my compost solids twice. 

Edited by Boudicca908
added information
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

6 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

I'm trying to get my head around the PRACTICAL difference between LITHIUM PLATINUM and LITHIUM PRO PACKAGE for LE2

Choosing platinum vs pro depends so much on how, where, and when you intend to use the trailer, which I realize may be difficult to know before you set out on your first trips.  Things to keep in mind include the following (1) the batteries like to be drawn down from time to time (they don't like staying at full charge); (2) solar produces about 20 amps in full summer sun, but the sun isn't overhead all day (therefore, by example, 8 hrs at an average of 15 amps yields 120 amp-hours), and substantially less when cloudy (e.g., 5 amps for 6 hours yields 30 amp-hours), in shade, or in shoulder season months; (3) A/C draws about 100 amps from the batteries, so 1 hour of A/C use draws the batteries down 100 amp-hours; and (4) your compressor fridge (based on our experience with a smaller compressor fridge in a Sprinter van) might use between about 40 and 60 Amp-hours per day (perhaps someone with a newer trailer will verify this).  

So the "practical" differences depend on you you use the trailer.  If you plan on using lots of A/C without shore power, or lots of microwave and TV, go big.  If you plan on having shore power every 3-4 days, or camped without shore power in the sun, and can get by with modest electrical use, then platinum will likely suffice.

We've used our 2021 trailer (with 390 Ah lithium) over 12 months in the last 3 years, covering about 20,000 miles.  Our electrical demand from the batteries is primarily for lights and CPAP, with occasional A/C use at rest areas when it's hot.  Our state of charge (SOC) typically remains above 70%.  During shoulder seasons or with lots of rain, we might hook up to shore power every 4-5 days to recharge the batteries, but could usually go longer if we wanted.  One benefit of hooking up to shore power is that we can also use our electric heater, which is quieter than the propane furnace.  Another benefit of hookups (some very nice state and provincial parks have hookups) is that we don't have to listen to other people's generators.  I try to top off the batteries (i.e., charge them to 14.4V) with shore power every 2 weeks, at a minimum.  Not infrequently, we hook up to shore power to run the refrigerator on AC, but don't charge the batteries (because charging is noisy).  I cycle the batteries periodically (draw them down to the cut-off voltage and then charge them to 14.4V); this would take longer with the larger batteries.   We do not carry a generator (which avoids the extra weight, fuel, and noise), and, with a bit of battery management, have not needed one.  We do carry an extra solar panel for when the trailer is in the shade.  

So, our example is but one of many scenarios, and practical differences between batteries will, in my opinion, depend on how, when, and where you hope to use your trailer.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

I am shopping generators. During my first OTT plant tour yesterday, Josh mentioned a newer model Honda 3200i that is smaller (fits in basket) and DUEL FUEL. It sounds pretty decent. I haven’t researched it yet. 

Reach out to Patriot in this regard.

He bought one of these and did a fair amount of research on it prior to the purchase.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

16 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Torque Wrench is a must (mine is hand powered, easy to use and lives under my back seat in the truck.) You might need to buy the right size fitting. 

Do you carry this as a general-purpose tool?  Or is there some specific task that requires it?

And thank you again for sharing all your insights.  They overlap with a lot of what we are expecting.

2024 OLEII - Hull MDIV, born 3/13/24

Ram 1500  5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, 6’4” box, crew cab

visited-united-states-map.png

14 hours ago, Fritz said:

So, our example is but one of many scenarios, and practical differences between batteries will, in my opinion, depend on how, when, and where you hope to use your trailer.

Hope this helps.

It's a great help.  TYVM.

As you and others have requested, I'm gonna take a swipe at pigeon-holing our "camping style".

We are basically doing this to go to national parks.  Or things that look like and feel like national parks.  The plan is to visit in seasons when tent-camping would be pleasant (not too hot, not too cold).  But we want to do it with a bit more comfort and safety than car-camping has provided us.  Once there, we want to day-hike until our feet give out, then have an inviting base camp for recharging.

We realize we have to accept certain limitations (65 ain't 35 and money don't grow on trees, etc.). But, for the first time in our lives, time is not one of them.  So, long road trips with many (interesting) stops can replace fly-overs with quick turnarounds.  And when we get to the places we love, we want to stay until we are sated.  Instead of a couple of days at 1 park, more like a couple of weeks.

I fully expect to be in the Ollie 100+ days per year.  I'm OK with having to find facilities (electric, dump station...) more or less on a weekly basis.  In fact, when it's not too limiting, even more frequently.  Many of the campgrounds we've loved over the years have electricity & water at least.  But we would also like the ability to unhook for at least several days at a time (we would NOT be running the AC for long during such periods).

I do NOT want to stay in a paved parking lot, bumper to bumper with a million other trucks and RVs.  But I will, if it's a pit stop on the way to the next beautiful place or it happens to be across the street from a hike I want to take.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Do you carry this as a general-purpose tool?  Or is there some specific task that requires it?

Primarily the torque wrench is used to check the torque on the lug nuts of your wheels.

I check mine prior to leaving on each trip regardless of whether or not the wheels have been off the Ollie for any reason.  I'll also check this torque once or twice during a 5,000 mile trip.  If the wheels have been off the trailer - annual wheel bearing service or if they are removed for greasing the zerks on the suspension - I will re-check the torque before traveling and then again between 50 and 100 miles and then again that night (or the next morning prior to departing for the day.

There are other things that should be checked/torqued (at least annually) such as the jack/stabilizer bolts, the bulldog hitch bolts, the axle bolts, etc.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

4 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Yes — you will want to check the torque after your initial 50 miles, and then at regular intervals. And more frequently whenever the wheels have been off. EXAMPLE: after leaving my service at OTT this morning, I checked dutifully at 50 miles and found several were just a wee bit loose. That’s normal. I think of my torque wrench as a necessary tool. Mine is a long handled hand wrench. Sorry I’m in transit and can’t give you an Amazon link for an example; maybe another member can give you options. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

• Moderators

I purchased one of THESE from Harbor Freight to carry around in my truck.

I have better quality torque wrenches in my workshop but this one is good enough  and accurate enough for the main purpose of torqueing the wheels.

Also, if I drop it I will not feel  bad given the price.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Near Asheville, NC

13 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

We are basically doing this to go to national parks.  Or things that look like and feel like national parks.

Our reasons for purchasing an Elite II are similar.  In our first year of ownership, we have yet to get to a national park with it, but have enjoyed some pleasant stays at state parks in Idaho and Oregon, along with some lovely days boondocking at Harvest Host locations, Forest Service campgrounds, and elsewhere.

We opted for the Lithium Pro package, with 390 Ah of capacity.  It has been more than adequate for us.  We have found that even when boondocking for a few nights, the thing that has pushed us to pack up and find hookups or a dump station has not been battery life, but the size of the gray water tank.  After 2+ days, it is nearly full, just from 2 short showers per day and dish washing.

So, for us, the extra expense for the Platinum package did not make sense.  Had a larger gray water tank been an upgrade option, we would have gladly paid for that!

Given your plans, I recommend you save the difference between the Lithium Pro and Platinum packages, and opt to spend that savings staying one out of every 3 nights or so at an RV park close to the national park you are visiting, so you can dump your gray tank (and black tank, if you don't have the composting toilet), recharge your batteries, if needed, from shore power, and refill your fresh water tank.  Then go back to the park, if desired, for another visit.  That was our choice last year, and given our use of the trailer, our initial year of ownership has left us quite comfortable with that decision.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

4 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

We have found that even when boondocking for a few nights, the thing that has pushed us to pack up and find hookups or a dump station has not been battery life, but the size of the gray water tank. 

This is precisely the conversation my wife and I were having.  Water and personal ruggedness will probably limit us more than electricity.  And your proposed solution is very much in our plans.  Thank you for sharing your experience.

P.S. I can't wait to spend a few weeks in Idaho running out of water somewhere breathtaking. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

P.S. I can't wait to spend a few weeks in Idaho running out of water somewhere breathtaking. 🙂

Then plan to spend a few days during July or August in the Stanley Basin near Stanley, Idaho camping at Redfish Lake, or along the Main Salmon River in a Forest Service campground.  The views of the Sawtooths are truly "breathtaking".

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

2 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Then plan to spend a few days during July or August in the Stanley Basin near Stanley, Idaho camping at Redfish Lake, or along the Main Salmon River in a Forest Service campground.  The views of the Sawtooths are truly "breathtaking".

Calendar updated. 🙂

• Moderators

D & M - 

If you're going to do that then I'd recommend the Forest Service Campground (Pole Flat campground) at 44.30381, -114.71971.  The sites in the back of the campground are the best.  There is water and pit toilets available and each site has a picnic table.

Then, if you camp there (or near there) a stop at the gold dredge is worth it - 44.37747, -114.72261.

Fishing along the West Fork of the Yankee Fork can get you a 50 fish day but be prepared for a scramble down the steep bank and then back up that bank - 44.36969, -114.75025.  Of course, the fishing in the Salmon River will get you bigger fish but certainly not as many and there will be more people.  Also, there are a couple of Hot Springs right along Route 75 if that is your style.

Bill

• Like 1

Near Asheville, NC

22 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

It's a great help.  TYVM.

As you and others have requested, I'm gonna take a swipe at pigeon-holing our "camping style".

We are basically doing this to go to national parks.  Or things that look like and feel like national parks.  The plan is to visit in seasons when tent-camping would be pleasant (not too hot, not too cold).  But we want to do it with a bit more comfort and safety than car-camping has provided us.  Once there, we want to day-hike until our feet give out, then have an inviting base camp for recharging.

We realize we have to accept certain limitations (65 ain't 35 and money don't grow on trees, etc.). But, for the first time in our lives, time is not one of them.  So, long road trips with many (interesting) stops can replace fly-overs with quick turnarounds.  And when we get to the places we love, we want to stay until we are sated.  Instead of a couple of days at 1 park, more like a couple of weeks.

I fully expect to be in the Ollie 100+ days per year.  I'm OK with having to find facilities (electric, dump station...) more or less on a weekly basis.  In fact, when it's not too limiting, even more frequently.  Many of the campgrounds we've loved over the years have electricity & water at least.  But we would also like the ability to unhook for at least several days at a time (we would NOT be running the AC for long during such periods).

I do NOT want to stay in a paved parking lot, bumper to bumper with a million other trucks and RVs.  But I will, if it's a pit stop on the way to the next beautiful place or it happens to be across the street from a hike I want to take.

I haven't read through the entire thread, so I'm posting this risking it's already been mentioned. In a comment above you mentioned risking running out of water in exchange for longer stays in beautiful places. One thing I strongly encourage is considering a composting toilet based on your travel plans. 

1. You will in effect double your fresh water capacity in a way because you will no longer be sending half your fresh water down the toilet. And if you can transition to sponge bathing you will use very little for that chore as well. We can easily go more than a week using most of our fresh water at the kitchen sink. 

2. The whole drama of dump stations sort of fades into the background. We have yet to get in line at the dump station. You have many more options for dumping gray only, including that in most states you are allowed to dump gray water on the ground. You won't be able to at a park, but elsewhere it's fine. Some states encourage this practice to increase ground water around plants, etc. 

3. The solids side of the composting toilet can last several weeks or months depending on your usage. We set up our composting toilet when we got the Oliver in May this year and just changed out the media for the first time this week while winterizing. We only use the camper toilet about half the time when at campgrounds so our usage is relatively low, but the system works perfectly and the whole waste disposal thing is very no drama for us. And we don't even own a so called stinky slinky. Our gray water is drained through a 3/4" garden hose dedicated for this purpose. 

The composting toilet just makes dry/extended camping a lot easier. BTW you can quickly switch to a standard toilet in the future with very little effort if you decide you want to go that route. 

• Like 2

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

D & M - 

If you're going to do that then I'd recommend the Forest Service Campground (Pole Flat campground) at 44.30381, -114.71971. 

I'm not a fisherman, but that still looks like the sort of place we would enjoy.  🙂

So I googled it and found this:

Restrictions: 32 foot RV length

Which gives me pause.
From your comments, I think I know that means trailer length.  But is that something I could have known without your experience.  IOW, does "RV length" always mean "trailer length" and NOT "trailer + TV length" ?

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

does "RV length" always mean "trailer length" and NOT "trailer + TV length" ?

Yes - just the trailer (RV).  Even some take this to mean just the "box" and NOT from hitch to bumper as we Oliver people measure it.

However, the term "always" bothers me in that I'm guessing somewhere out there in the universe there just might be someone that considers the TV into the equation.

I've stayed at the Pole Flat campground and there is absolutely no issue with getting in or out with your Ollie.  The best campsite is located at the top left of the "circle" in the campground.

Since you do not fish then you would also enjoy the ghost town that is located further up the road past the dredge.  Some of the repair work on the scar that the dredge left that Trout Unlimited has done in that area is impressive..

Bill

• Like 3

Near Asheville, NC

15 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

the thing that has pushed us to pack up and find hookups or a dump station has not been battery life, but the size of the gray water tank. 

We have managed up to six nights camping with no gray water dump.  Our first camping experience with the OEII was at David Crockett State Park which has no sewage connection on-site. We've done up to 3 consecutive days boondocking. We avoid making dirty dishes, and wash them outside using two dishpans. The most costly activity is showers, so we do facecloth wash-ups, and hair washes with wetting into a dishpan and rinsing into the sink drain, or use the campground shower if there is one. Soap water goes into the grey tank and some rinse water is disposed of outside. We also have the composting toilet, so no black tank dumps are ever needed.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

17 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

the thing that has pushed us to pack up and find hookups or a dump station has not been battery life, but the size of the gray water tank.  After 2+ days, it is nearly full, just from 2 short showers per day and dish washing

With management, we can generally go longer (with substantially more small showers during this time) without needing to empty the gray water tank.  We extend the gray-water tank in two ways.  First, we use a solar shower bag (fill it with hot water from the trailer's tank or with water from campground faucet heated on the stove or by leaving it in the sun).  This prevents the substantial amount of water that flows into the gray-water tank while adjusting the shower-water temperature, and reduces the amount of shower water needed.  Second, we frequently fill tubs for dishes with hot tank water or heated campground water, emptying the tubs into the woods.  Again, these measures extend our fresh-water tank and reduce the amount of water filling the gray-water tank.  

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

19 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Since you do not fish then you would also enjoy the ghost town that is located further up the road past the dredge.  Some of the repair work on the scar that the dredge left that Trout Unlimited has done in that area is impressive..

The gold dredge is up the Yankee Fork of the Salmon, which joins the Main Salmon at Sunbeam.  There is a commercial hot spring pool at Sunbeam.  The environmental devastation caused by the dredge has always been disheartening for me to see, so I, too, am now interested to see the results of restoration efforts by Trout Unlimited.

The ghost town is Custer, Idaho, named after General George Armstrong Custer.  I would not recommend towing your Oliver to Custer, as the  last leg of the road to Custer is quite primitive, and it may be tough to find a good turn around.  Park your Oliver at a campground and take your tow vehicle on Hwy 75 to and up the Yankee Fork, then continue on to Custer.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

22 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Calendar updated. 🙂

But, don't tell any of the locals that I sent you there.  Last summer I noted a bumper sticker in Stanley that reads:  "Stanley Sucks.  Tell your friends."

• Haha 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

The environmental devastation caused by the dredge has always been disheartening for me to see, so I, too, am now interested to see the results of restoration efforts by Trout Unlimited

Be a bit careful when talking to the "locals" up there in that some of these people wanted that "scar" from the dredge to remain as a memorial to the people that worked on the dredge.  Yes, there is still some of the "scar" that is left and the scope of it brought home to me what damage we humans can do to Mother Nature.

Note in the first picture that all of the rock visible in the upper left is "tailings" from the dredging.  The second picture is the dredge.  The third picture is a view of the Sawtooths near Stanley.

Bill

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

• Thanks 1

Near Asheville, NC

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Yes, there is still some of the "scar" that is left and the scope of it brought home to me what damage we humans can do to Mother Nature.

Good photo of some of the dredge tailings.  What has stuck in my mind is that those mounds of tailings go on for miles and miles as you travel up the Yankee Fork.

• Thanks 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg