New Oliver Advertisement - Winter Camping Adventure

Patriot

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
19 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Just saw this and thought I would pass it along.

Note the absence of snow.  And the fact that you can't see the actors' breath.  They are wearing what would pass for fall or spring gear in Idaho, with no hats.  

This is consistent with my earlier observation that the stock Oliver is a "4-season trailer" where it is made, in the Southern USA.  It would also be useful in winter in many parts of Western Washington, Oregon or British Columbia (such as the coast, where it rarely snows).   But, without significant modifications, it is not a true "4-season trailer" for use in Idaho, Montana, Northern Utah, the Northern Great Plains, New England, Canada East of the Rockies, etc.

• Like 9

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

5 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Note the absence of snow.  And the fact that you can't see the actors' breath.  They are wearing what would pass for fall or spring gear in Idaho, with no hats.  

This is consistent with my earlier observation that the stock Oliver is a "4-season trailer" where it is made, in the Southern USA.  It would also be useful in winter in many parts of Western Washington, Oregon or British Columbia (such as the coast, where it rarely snows).   But, without significant modifications, it is not a true "4-season trailer" for use in Idaho, Montana, Northern Utah, the Northern Great Plains, New England, Canada East of the Rockies, etc.

I think that is a fair clarification.  Without an industry standard definition of four-season, we will always wonder how far north we can go.  I will never have a problem in Texas, but I might run into some issues in Thief River Falls in January without taking some precautions.  I plan on camping in Missouri after I pick up my Oliver in late December and I have no fear that it can handle that weather.  

• Like 3

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

Concur 100% w/ @Rivernerd, but hey, I'm really liking their dog!

• Haha 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

It looks like late fall camping in the Carolinas to me, as well. We all did fine over Thanksgiving, some days highs in the 40s. Lows in 20s. 

But, hats and gloves were ordinary wear. Especially on windy days. 

Maybe they'll shoot another commercial in actual snow.

We've managed that, in an early Ollie, with non ducted furnace and no power, other than  (then) 200 watts solar. We opened a hatch or two, the bath door, and cupboard slides. (We don't have reflectix, in a 2008.) Our lowest camping temps have been in high teens and low twenties. I'm definitely not a winter camper,  by choice. But it does happen that we  get caught by surprise,  sometimes. We like to be in Florida from December till April.  

We winterize anytime we leave the camper in storage, in WNC, after mid-september. We broke/froze the outside shower valves one time when we left it without winterizing, and didn't get back til after a couple hard freezes. Our bad. 

For folks with a Florida zip code, we're surprisingly good with winterizing....

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 11/28/2023 at 9:34 PM, Jason Foster said:

I think that is a fair clarification.  Without an industry standard definition of four-season, we will always wonder how far north we can go.  I will never have a problem in Texas, but I might run into some issues in Thief River Falls in January without taking some precautions.  I plan on camping in Missouri after I pick up my Oliver in late December and I have no fear that it can handle that weather.  

My first job out of college was in St Charles, MO.  It gets single digits cold there, be prepared.

• Like 3

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

My first job out of college was in St Charles, MO.  It gets single digits cold there, be prepared.

I lived in Clayton, MO (close suburb of Saint Louis) for 25 years  - one of the major reasons I left upon retirement was that it is cold in the winter and hot in the summer.  Actually, it can get worse than single digits - not very often - but - once I saw 13 below.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

@Wandering Sagebrush:  Time to break out your backcountry skis!

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs

8 hours ago, Cameron said:

a pipe? somehow he doesn't look like a pipe smoker.

I thought the same, went back for a second viewing to see if the pipe was just a prop, but saw actual smoke! That reminds me, I need to locate my ‘old’ deer hunting camp Peterson pipe, get some cherry tobacco, and carry with. Thanks for the memory jog!

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Ronbrink said:

I need to locate my ‘old’ deer hunting camp Peterson pipe, get some cherry tobacco, and carry with. Thanks for the memory jog!

Just don't tell your dentist!😇

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

26 minutes ago, Ronbrink said:

That reminds me, I need to locate my ‘old’ deer hunting camp Peterson pipe, get some cherry tobacco, and carry with.

With full understanding of what "highjacking a post" means, and risking getting hammered for this post - but @Ronbrink reminded me of my old handmade meerschaum pirate pipe I acquired in Istanbul decades ago...  Now I need some good tobacco to go with the Oliver!

Screenshot2023-11-30at07_45_51.thumb.png.2bdb8bf1cd02e0f2d8baa392d1294c35.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Art, you need a pouch of Borkum Riff.

Excellent call, Brother!

• Like 1

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

With full understanding of what "highjacking a post" means, and risking getting hammered for this post - but @Ronbrink reminded me of my old handmade meerschaum pirate pipe I acquired in Istanbul decades ago...  Now I need some good tobacco to go with the Oliver!

Screenshot2023-11-30at07_45_51.thumb.png.2bdb8bf1cd02e0f2d8baa392d1294c35.png

I see you have a good stock of cigars, as well! I’m an infrequent smoker, cigar with whisky, pipe when camping. Gave up the whisky a long time ago, but now reminded of something missing in camp! Nice looking pipe! 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

15 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I lived in NW Arkansas for 27 years, worked in Missouri for 2 before moving to Ohio then to Iowa, so I'm not unfamiliar with cold.  Fortunately for me when I say Missouri, I am talking about Pineville which is just north of the Arkansas border.  They get a little snow there but rarely get too far below freezing.  Regardless, I will be bringing a few space heaters, a fan and will be hooked up to 30 amps the entire time.

• Like 3

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.