Well, another problem...this time water

...and this time I think the problem initiator would be me! After our last fall trip I thought I drained the water from the freshwater tank but I didn't.  You can probably figure out where this is going. In prep for our upcoming trip to southern Utah I turned on the water pump and saw that the pump would not stop and no water would come out of the faucets. I looked at the pump/accumulator plumbing and saw that the filter housing (on the suction side of the pump) was cracked and had "dribbled" a small amount of water. At this point I checked the tank monitor gauge and saw that the tank was nearly full of freshwater (and if I could have kicked myself in the backside I would have). We live at near sea level in Western Washington and it seldom gets cold but this winter we had a good cold snap and I'm pretty sure that's what cracked my filter. I purchased a new filter but just replaced the stainless filter element not the entire filter body. I was so sure that this would solve my problem that I drained all water from the tank using the bottom, gravity drain and refilled the tank with water and some bleach to disinfect the tank. I oriented all the valves in their correct position and turned on the pump. As they say, No Joy, and the pump would not turn off and there was no water at the faucets. I checked the pump area and all the valves and fittings that I could see....there were no apparent water leaks. The only thing I can think of is I have an air leak (maybe because something cracked during the freeze). I also assume these pumps do not need priming after draining. Any ideas? Like most of these problems I thing its relatively simple and may also be operator error....again.    

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

You might try hooking up a hose to the city water and test for leaks that way. Maybe be prepared to turn off the water quickly. If you don't see leaks, then run the water from a faucet and see if it gets rid of any air pockets? Sorry I am not coming up with any other ideas at the moment.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

image.jpeg.09f40a09983d95bd862eb789e3430148.jpeg

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

• Moderators

I assume that you are NOT seeing any water coming out of the "scupper" holes in the bottom of the Ollie?

More than likely - you have a small air leak upstream of the water pump.  A few blue shop towels will come in handy in wiping around all of the pipe that you can get your hand on.  Pay particular attention to the areas near all fittings.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Well, did as Ray suggested and water was flowing out of plastic shark-bite like fitting in back of Truma Aquago Instant water heater. Hopefully it's just the plastic fitting and not the Temperature Stabilizer Tank. Now to figure out how to remove unit so I can access the fitting. Hoping this isn't a cascade of problems including air leaks upstream as topgun2 mentioned. The Truma manual does not describe removal of the entire heater so I'll call Oliver tomorrow. In the interim, has anyone remove the Truma unit? 

• Thanks 1

It happens. I'm just wondering why you have damage by the water heater. If the pipes were winterized that area shouldn't have frozen, even with water in the fresh water tank.

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Toby said:

water was flowing out of plastic shark-bite like fitting in back of Truma Aquago Instant water heater. Hopefully it's just the plastic fitting and not the Temperature Stabilizer Tank. Now to figure out how to remove unit so I can access the fitting.

Toby - 

Perhaps the "issue" is as simple as a problem with the Shark Bite fitting.  There are a number of ways to remove these fittings with THIS being one of the simplest and cheapest.

Good luck!

Bill 

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I'm just wondering why you have damage by the water heater.

It is possible that the "issue" has nothing to (or little to do) with water and the possibility it froze.

These Shark Bite fittings are great for emergency repairs but they have been known to "loosen" due to the vibration caused by an RV simply going down the road.  Also, these fittings are subject to improper installation which can cause "issues" as time goes by.  On the few occasions that I've had to use Shark Bites I have always made what I believe to be a more permanent repair once I got home.

Bill

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Toby said:

Oliver installs these for "keeps". 

To my knowledge - 

Oliver does not use Shark Bite fittings.

So, is it the fitting or the Shark Bite that has the leak?

Also, please use the "signature" area to fill out details on both your Ollie and Tow Vehicle so that it is easier for members to respond to future questions.  Thanks!

Bill

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a similar problem in that the pump was running, never shut off and no water.  Connected the city water and no leaks.

I found that the connection to the filter before the pump was loose and the pump was therefore sucking in air rather than water. Tightened it and the pump is now working fine.

• Like 5

2021 Elite II Twin Bed Hull #1023 - Kimba  | 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 5.0L V8

I have to admit I had another problem with the pump this morning.  Closed the valve to the freshwater tank, opened the bypass valve to the hot water heater and filled the fresh water tank.  After the tank was full, I turned on the pump and waited for it to turn off.  And waited. And waited.  Still running.  Tried the faucet - no water.  Checked the connection I tightened yesterday - still tight.  Decided to walk around the trailer. Opened the door and heard water running.  I forgot to put the anode in the water heater.  Sigh.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2021 Elite II Twin Bed Hull #1023 - Kimba  | 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 5.0L V8

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Roger said:

I forgot to put the anode in the water heater.  Sigh.

Look at it this way - it could have been worse!

Imagine that you only just barely put that anode back in the water heater and then were standing right in front of it when someone else turned that water on for you.

I bet that you would remember (after a few moments to catch your breath) exactly at what height that anode is located for future reference!😬

• Like 3

RVing is a lot about making these kinds of mistakes, as we all have, and learning from them. OMG, I forgot... (100 things thru the years). It does trouble me when I make the same mistake a second time and many of us have been there, done that! Just as long as it's just a little water, a little this or that... 

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderator+
On 2/11/2024 at 6:16 PM, Toby said:

Well, did as Ray suggested and water was flowing out of plastic shark-bite like fitting in back of Truma Aquago Instant water heater. Hopefully it's just the plastic fitting and not the Temperature Stabilizer Tank. Now to figure out how to remove unit so I can access the fitting. Hoping this isn't a cascade of problems including air leaks upstream as topgun2 mentioned. The Truma manual does not describe removal of the entire heater so I'll call Oliver tomorrow. In the interim, has anyone remove the Truma unit? 

Steve, did you buy your Hull #329 new? To the best of my knowledge, Oliver has never used Shark Bite fittings during their regular production. Do you think that the fitting is original from Truma?

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

8 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

To the best of my knowledge, Oliver has never used Shark Bite fittings during their regular production.

This is a pic of these stock white “shark bite” like fittings on our Truma water heater. They are definitely not shark bite fittings, believe they are “John Guest” push to connect fittings.
image.thumb.jpeg.48118ebc62437a12dd91cb6941f8b617.jpeg

@Toby if you do have these John Guest fittings, the big white knurled like caps can come lose, twist/turn them clockwise to tighten/lock them again, like in below pic. 
image.thumb.jpeg.abb942d86ce0d51d991d5f81b9928080.jpeg

• Like 2

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderator+
2 hours ago, rich.dev said:

This is a pic of these stock white “shark bite” like fittings on our Truma water heater. They are definitely not shark bite fittings, believe they are “John Guest” push to connect fittings.
image.thumb.jpeg.48118ebc62437a12dd91cb6941f8b617.jpeg

@Toby if you do have these John Guest fittings, the big white knurled like caps can come lose, twist/turn them clockwise to tighten/lock them again, like in below pic. 
image.thumb.jpeg.abb942d86ce0d51d991d5f81b9928080.jpeg

I do believe you are correct. At first glance,  these could easily be confused as shark bites. Our older model has something very similar, screw on connectors, the only difference being that the rings have wings on them to assist with tightening or loosening.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 3/12/2024 at 8:02 AM, Roger said:

I forgot to put the anode in the water heater.  Sigh.

A  LOT  of us have made the same oops!   Once.   🙂

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg