LP Gas Tank Level Measurement Devices

dewdev

• Moderators
15 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

None of us ever use flame to find gas leaks. Including @Jason Foster above, I'm sure. That was a joke, for sure.

A propane sniffer is even better. 

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

In fact - if you even think that you smell propane (rotten eggs) don't even switch on a light or strike a match or light the furnace or light the fridge (assuming propane fired fridge) or anything that could cause a spark or open flame.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
On 2/28/2024 at 7:15 PM, Jason Foster said:

Nope.  I use the lighter method to determine if I have any leaks.

🤣I have done this for years! Caveat -
NEVER, never try this in an enclosed space where gas can accumulate!

The first time I worked with LP, we lived in Northern VA. I installed 80+ feet of threaded black pipe to go from a newly leased propane tank to heat the lower level of a 4K SF home to supply 2 ventless wall-mounted space heaters.

When I completed the install, the LP company agent came to fill the tank and test the installation. Now this was western Loudoun County, VA and the good 'ol boy that arrived, with decades of experience, used a long-stem butane lighter to test each and EVERY joint. He found a small flame at one connection, and we corrected that joint.

Been doing it ever since. If fact I was under the Oliver with a lighter to test the rear leak we had (mentioned recently in another post). LP is pressurized, while the compressed liquid is released as a gas. The flame can only go out of the system. No way can it go in! You cannot cause the tank to explode.

Again, when escaping flammable gas can fill a room or other container, it is in this state explosive. But if you have a minor leak in a line OUTSIDE of your home or TT, it will just light a flame, revealing the leak. Recently, I found the leak in the rear of our Oliver, while lying on the gravel driveway, lighter in hand!

Prior to this, I had already smelled the gas. The nose knows! The gas sensors are OK if you trust the Chinese manufacturer. But my nose will now immediately, in seconds, and those sensors only work in closed spaces. Indoors yes, and don't try a flame indoors. If you smell gas indoors open up the entrance door immediately, followed by opening windows. In fact, outside if there is any wind, the sensor will likely not read any gas. I can get a joint to burn in the wind though.

I don't believe I have convinced anybody here, but I will continue using my tools, in my way, and haven't blown up anything that I did not intend to!

Back to the subject...
I have the Mopeka sensors on my wishlist! They look great. Until then, I turn the LP switch one direction, so I know when one tank is empty. 

• Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

The first time I worked with LP, we lived in Northern VA. I installed 80+ feet of threaded black pipe to go from a newly leased propane tank to heat the lower level of a 4K SF home to supply 2 ventless wall-mounted space heaters.

When I completed the install, the LP company agent came to fill the tank and test the installation. Now this was western Loudoun County, VA and the good 'ol boy that arrived, with decades of experience, used a long-stem butane lighter to test each and EVERY joint. He found a small flame at one connection, and we corrected that joint.

Been doing it ever since. If fact I was under the Oliver with a lighter to test the rear leak we had (mentioned recently in another post). LP is pressurized, while the compressed liquid is released as a gas. The flame can only go out of the system. No way can it go in! You cannot cause the tank to explode.

Again, when escaping flammable gas can fill a room or other container, it is in this state explosive. But if you have a minor leak in a line OUTSIDE of your home or TT, it will just light a flame, revealing the leak. Recently, I found the leak in the rear of our Oliver, while lying on the gravel driveway, lighter in hand!

Prior to this, I had already smelled the gas. The nose knows! The gas sensors are OK if you trust the Chinese manufacturer. But my nose will now immediately, in seconds, and those sensors only work in closed spaces. Indoors yes, and don't try a flame indoors. If you smell gas indoors open up the entrance door immediately, followed by opening windows. In fact, outside if there is any wind, the sensor will likely not read any gas. I can get a joint to burn in the wind though.

I don't believe I have convinced anybody here, but I will continue using my tools, in my way, and haven't blown up anything that I did not intend to!

Back to the subject...
I have the Mopeka sensors on my wishlist! They look great. Until then, I turn the LP switch one direction, so I know when one tank is empty. 

Now you've gone and done it. You have just made all the snowflakes and liberals heads explode. Do you have any idea how much paperwork this will create? And the Darwin awards are just going to build up. It just means there will be more warning labels. How are we ever going to drain the gene pool swamp if you keep warning them?

Actually, that's the way I've always done it, outside. As you (plainly) said, "NEVER, never try this in an enclosed space where gas can accumulate!" If that's not warning enough for someone, they deserve what they get. 😃

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

10 hours ago, jd1923 said:

those sensors only work in closed spaces.

I used my $27 Smart Sensor combustible gas sensor to locate a propane leak at a fitting on an outdoor propane tank at our church last year.  Our noses smelled the mercaptan odorant in the propane to alert us to the presence of the leak.  The sensor then isolated the source to that fitting, which was repaired.  It works outside, as well as inside.

I now carry a Smart Sensor detector in our Hull #1291.  Then I don't have to worry about whether the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio inside the trailer is within a dangerous range when searching for the location of a propane leak.

https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Portable-Combustible-Adjustable-Sensitivity/dp/B07H671NJ3?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A2PG0JPHUSQSX8

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

12 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Now you've gone and done it. You have just made all the snowflakes and liberals heads explode. Do you have any idea how much paperwork this will create? And the Darwin awards are just going to build up. It just means there will be more warning labels. How are we ever going to drain the gene pool swamp if you keep warning them?

Actually, that's the way I've always done it, outside. As you (plainly) said, "NEVER, never try this in an enclosed space where gas can accumulate!" If that's not warning enough for someone, they deserve what they get. 😃

I'm also the guy that removes all those ugly warning labels on most things we own! Not so many on the Oliver anymore.

You know that "Air Bag Warning" label that has been on automotive visors for decades? Like 30 years later we don't know about air bags. And that's just what you need while driving, a bright yellow label right at eye level! Took one off years ago and we stuck it on the back of Grandma's shirt during a family reunion. It was quite fitting, as my mom doesn't stop talking at these events! Even she had to laugh, once she figured out why everybody else was laughing. 🤣

• Haha 1

I've been wondering why they sell a bundle with "Tank Halos." I've read other posts here where OTT owners install just these. Ours in the SW has no real rust underneath, but perhaps the sonar sensor reads better when the tank is not grounded? Just guessing here. Any ideas?

Yep, it is a nice set! When I finally slow down on spending on this trailer, I have this and much more on our Wishlist! (Just spent $390 on TV batteries.) 

• Moderators
11 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Ours in the SW has no real rust underneath, but perhaps the sonar sensor reads better when the tank is not grounded? Just guessing here. Any ideas?

I know that there used to be some "issues" with certain RV's where there was not enough room under the tanks to allow the sensors clearance. 

Of course, a side benefit is that the halos help prevent rust, cushion the bottoms of the tanks (i.e. you don't have that metal scraping on concrete or asphalt), helps prevent sharp metal edges on the bottoms from cutting and/or scraping things, etc.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

On 3/3/2024 at 1:45 AM, Rivernerd said:

I used my $27 Smart Sensor combustible gas sensor to locate a propane leak at a fitting on an outdoor propane tank at our church last year.  Our noses smelled the mercaptan odorant in the propane to alert us to the presence of the leak.  The sensor then isolated the source to that fitting, which was repaired.  It works outside, as well as inside.

I now carry a Smart Sensor detector in our Hull #1291.  Then I don't have to worry about whether the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio inside the trailer is within a dangerous range when searching for the location of a propane leak.

https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Portable-Combustible-Adjustable-Sensitivity/dp/B07H671NJ3?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A2PG0JPHUSQSX8

I have a gas sniffer unit too for #1290.  It worked great to find my leak.

John

• Like 3

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

On 2/28/2024 at 8:28 PM, SeaDawg said:

I know you are joking.

Disclaimer:

Just to educate the absolute newbies, soap/soapy water is better. None of us ever use flame to find gas leaks. Including @Jason Foster above, I'm sure. That was a joke, for sure.

A propane sniffer is even better. 

My sense of humor is a bit off.  Tina tells me that all the time.

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

On 3/1/2024 at 9:36 PM, jd1923 said:

Back to the subject...

I was joking in my previous post; however, I have used this method in the past.  Now I just use my nose.  I have a marvelous amount of knowhow that includes electrical and plumbing which covers gas lines.  I have never paid anyone to do my own work.  While it is true that you can use lighters to find leaks in gas lines, I would suggest that only the most qualified and trained plumbers do this.  Everyone else here should either use a gas sniffer, or better yet, hire a qualified professional.  You don't get second chances with explosive stuff. 

• Like 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

8 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

Now I just use my nose. 

From my many years of HAZMAT training and environmental responses, always be mindful that one can quickly become desensitized to smells, even the mercaptan odorant in propane! I often got a whiff or two, but then nothing further and moved on. I now get the sniffer to further investigate for piece of mind if nothing else. Thanks for clarifying your previous statement and advise to others less experienced!

Edited by Ronbrink

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

11 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

While it is true that you can use lighters to find leaks in gas lines, I would suggest that only the most qualified and trained plumbers do this. 

I bought my first combustible gas detector 25 years ago after I watched a Washington Natural Gas investigator use one to find a natural gas leak near one of our water heaters.  Like you, I am a DIYer.  I like to use the tools the pros use.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg