-
Posts
7,791 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
467
Everything posted by topgun2
-
I'll add a bit to mountainoliver's statements - the air bags, sumo springs and/or helper springs do virtually nothing for "porpoising" (that dreaded bounce that is most often caused by expansion joints on the interstates). The Andersen WDH vastly improves this issue while at the same time leaving the warranty on that 2019 pickup intact. Bill
-
Travel Lights Come On Randomly
topgun2 replied to Dave and Cindy's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
I think that the most likely source of the problem would be at the trailer connector/pigtail that you plug into your tow vehicle. I would look for a short there most likely caused by water and/or dirt. Bill -
If anyone way out West is really interested in organizing a Western Rally I'd suggest besides contacting Hardrock a private message (PM) here on the Forum to Foy and Mirna. Last year they organized an Oliver Mini-rally in northern Florida. Even though they went well above and beyond organizing a dinner and lunch and then had to change a couple of things due to a pending hurricane, I'm guessing that the actual work involved was fair minimal - get a campground, set dates and let it be known to the world. I believe that the old saying - "build it and they will come" - certainly applies here. Yes, a central location would be nice, but, the West is a big place and you will not be able to satisfy all of the people all of the time. To coin another phrase - "Just Do It". Bill
-
I remember being told after I ordered that "it will not be long now". While that wasn't true, the wait did give me a chance to read everything on this Forum, ask questions, and get prepared. Since the three to you appear to be "seasoned" in the RV sense, I'm guessing that the preparation will not be too bad. But, getting those things that you want for your new Ollie will still take some time. On the good side of the wait is that you should still have some wonderful weather to enjoy after you pick her up. Welcome! Bill
-
After taking Mike's suggestion, don't worry about it (too much). All you are doing with the fresh water tank is sanitizing it. Assuming that you have done the bleach and flush routine simply take a sniff of the water that is left in the tank. If it still smells like bleach then either flush it another time or two and/or add a small amount of baking soda before you flush it that final time. Even if there is a hint of bleach odor left after flushing - it will not harm you. Bill
-
Beware of those untold "Little Timmy" stories! Dark woods, howling winds, a lone owl hooting far off in the dark. However, I'm certain that hull number 476 will keep you all safe for many miles down the road. Welcome! Bill
-
Hot Water Heater Delivered Winterized But Without Anode
topgun2 replied to CedarForks's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
The anode is behind (and part of) the plug that is in the bottom area of the water heater. You access it by removing that plug (sometimes a "smiley face" is draw on the outside of the plug which shows correct orientation when you screw it back into the water heater) and pulling it with the anode rod attached from the heater. Note: when screwing it back into the water heater be extra careful to NOT cross thread the plug. To get to the plug, you open the door to the water heater on the rear street side of the camper. This is the Suburban water heater video on this subject - hope it helps! Bill -
Norcold Refrigerator Digital Readout Shifted Up
topgun2 replied to CedarForks's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
I'd guess that the control board will need replacement. But, Sherry has put you on the correct track. Good luck! BIll -
Really nice number! Welcome to the ownership world. At the Rally don't be afraid to ask anyone about what you see on their camper. Or, simply ask to see the inside. I've never had anyone refuse a request for more info. Can't wait to meet you guys - please grab me if I pass by and Twist is always open to you. Bill
-
OK, I changed your picture for you. If you don't like it just let me know and I'll work on it again or return it to your original. Bill p.s. very nice fish!
-
If there is any "stuff" floating around, I'd imagine that it will surface at the Owner's Rally. Other than that I've not heard a word. Bill
-
In mind of John's suggestion: I'm not sure about other brands of 1/2 ton trucks, but, the Ford F-150 will let you chose which trailer you are towing (if there is only one then there is no choice given and the process is automatic) and then the truck's computer automatically tracks the mileage driven with that trailer. No "alarms" can be set to note when maintenance is due but it is very easy to simply scroll through the various dashboard screen. And, each time the trailer is connected you are automatically taken to that set of screens on the dash. Bill
-
Most WalMart's also have an inexpensive grease gun that has a flexible hose. And they have the grease too. Bill p.s. while you're at it - pick up a shoebox sized container in order to store the grease gun, extra tube of grease, gloves and some paper towels. In addition, you might want to pick up some zerk covers in order to keep those a bit cleaner between services - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CWX7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-
I do remember seeing one installed on an Oliver. Perhaps it was on ScubaRX's Ollie but I'm not too sure. I'd PM him to check. Bill
-
The Smith's got the description of where that valve is located down to a science. I too remember my first venture into that area to try to find that puppy. I can now even find it in the dark! Yes, that picture does show the valve in the closed position. Bill
-
Thanks for the update AND the photos. No wonder you two like it! Bill
-
John has a good point about the bugs. Many of them - most of them - perhaps all of them are acidic. Therefore they will eat into whatever wax you have applied if you leave them there for too long. There are a number of other waxes and "detailer" products that will do the job. If you have a good base of wax on that nose almost any of the "detailers" on the market will get them off without a bunch of work but it is certainly easier and more friendly to the surface of your Oliver to do this cleaning when the bugs have had a chance to soften a bit with dew or rain. I've found that the products sold specifically to remove bugs are only marginally useful when applied prior to a normal washing. Bill
-
I recently replaced my original TPMS with an EEZ tire unit. My old system still works and I would be happy to give it to anyone at this year's Owner's Rally for the price of a beer. So, if you are sitting on the fence or are just curious as to how these things work, you certainly can't beat the price! Bill edit: the old TPMS has been spoken for - if this changes for any reason I will let it be know at the Rally.
-
Good luck on you delivery. Don't forget to take pictures to include those newly implemented storage ideas. Bill
-
Woody - Welcome and Congrates! Hopefully you will be able to get rid of that "stuff" easily and quickly. Can you make it to the 2019 Oliver Owner's Rally? Certainly you could meet a bunch of us there and learn all about that new (to you) Ollie. Bill
-
Yukon - Here's the Oliver warranty on your hull: Limited Lifetime Warranty to the original purchaser on the fiberglass body being free of defects in material and workmanship under normal use. Bill
-
KWR - Really a nice job on both the camper and the pics. That screen door latch can be fixed - for whatever reason I never seemed to be able to fix it, but, the guys at the factory got it to work fine (twice). Haven't had a problem with it in over two years since the last time they worked their magic. Bill
-
KWR - Your "problem" with picture orientation has been with us for some time. A partial explanation(s) can be found about half way down in the following thread: http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/pictures-of-various-store-cubbies/ However, even when editing photos in various computer software there are times when the edited picture will still not be in the correct orientation or the Forum will simply not load the requested picture. When this happens to me I simply change either the file format that the picture was originally saved in (from .jpg to .png or any of the others listed below) and that seems to help, or, I change the photo editing software I'm using and try it that way. There is no real easy straight forward solution that I know of. Bill
-
Checklist - got the grill going, got the awning out, got the chairs out and the table cloth out AND best of all got the smile out. Looks like fun to me! Hopefully this is amongst the first of many happy journeys for you guys. Bill
-
Dwain - Both John's give you good advice. When one has the time it is certainly better to get off the interstate and explore. However, I do not find interstate travel to be stressful at all. In fact, there are traffic studies that claim that the interstates are safer - primarily due to the lack of "cross traffic". Unfortunately, the interstates tend to be boring - very boring and not as "scenic" as other alternatives. Having said this, interstate 40 has some particularly nice areas. While dangerous (think curvy roads, rock slides and the trucks and cars that JD mentions) the Pigeon River Gorge section of interstate 40 (just east of the TN/NC line) and the section of 40 west of St. Louis are very nice. I used to think the Great Plains as seen from the interstate were boring and lacking in virtually any human stimulation. However, over the years I've developed a liking for those vast fields of sun flowers, waving wheat or corn fields and gently rolling hills. If you look for it and open your mind to something different that what you are used to, you can find beauty and interest in some of the strangest places and/or things (who would have thought that the Corn Place would be a place of interest?). I certainly would not plan some grand trip for my first excursion in a brand new camper of any sort. Give yourself a bit of time and experience with the new Oliver. You will feel more comfortable and confident and relaxed once you are more familiar with this home on wheels if you take a few shorter trips first. Bill
