Jump to content

topgun2

Moderators
  • Posts

    7,789
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    467

Everything posted by topgun2

  1. Now that you know about "open" and "close" all you have to remember is to actually "open" and "close" it. Don't ask me how I know this! Bill
  2. A quick look resulted in one source saying that for a RAM 1500 a WDH was required while another source said that a WDH was recommended for trailer weights over 5,000 pounds. Bill
  3. Trainman - I'd check both your owner's manual and look for any stickers on or under your hitch on that Ram. For most (if not all) 1/2 ton trucks it is a manufacturers' requirement that a weight distribution hitch be used if the hitch ball weight is 500 pounds or over. In the discussion above a point is made concerning of the differences between weight distribution and sway control. Shortly after bringing my Elite II home I went out without my Andersen WDH just to see what the trailer would do. I turned off my Ford anti-sway control too. Up to speeds of 65 mph I simply could not get the Oliver to sway. Mind you I didn't go crazy given that I was not on the road alone, but, I did really try to get it to sway. There was not one hint of sway. However, like it or not, the Andersen WDH is the only one that will easily work with the Oliver. And, it does not come without the built in anti-sway portion. Therefore, I really do not think that Oliver is trying to hide anything regarding the stability of the Oliver Travel Trailer - I believe it is simple - the Andersen is the only WDH that easily works with the Oliver Travel Trailer and since WDH are required for many vehicles it is the one they sell. Bill
  4. Raspy - The simple bottom line regarding why a weight distribution hitch is "necessary" for the F-150 is not fear or sway or opinion. It is because Ford says that it is required if the hitch ball weight is over 500 pounds. Yes, one could chose to ignore Ford on this matter but then they would be risking their warranty and would risk possible liability issues in the event of an accident. In addition to these "benefits" I have noticed reduced porpoising when hitting bridge expansion joints and the like. I really do not find the Andersen to be a very big problem. Bill
  5. In your write-up it appeared that you were very busy checking out the systems on that nice new Ollie. But, in the picture (I straightened it out for you) it appears that no real work is being done. That's more like it! Hope it gives you many miles of great camping. Bill
  6. SGC - I got that nice Ollie flying right for you. Bill
  7. Do you have any idea of how many miles your 2016 has traveled? If it is much over 12,000 miles and nothing has been done to the suspension it is likely that the original bushings are close to being shot. I would have this inspected and if they are gone or close to being gone I would have the EZ Flex upgrade suspension done. Other than that I agree with both Overland and SeaDawg - live in it for at least a couple of trips prior to making any other decisions. Bill
  8. Certainly the one nice thing about the Acurite is that it can be set up to give you an audible alarm when the temps in either the freezer or the fridge exceed set limits. This feature saved my bacon (so to speak) on one occasion. Bill
  9. This boarders on amazing - doesn't it. We owners try to tell people about this product and company all the time, but, since there is little or nothing that compares to it all I sense is that the person I'm talking to is trying to figure out exactly why I'm saying these things since they obviously just can't be true. It is unfortunate that things happen and things break. But, it is certainly wonderful when a company really does stand behind its product and promise. Bill
  10. I'm basically using the same thing as Rumline except I've only got two outside sensors - have not had a bit of problem. That humidity reading for both the inside and outside comes in very handy. I also use that same fridge unit that JD has and have had no problems. New batteries in everything at the start of each season. Bill
  11. Go get 'em (both of you)! Most important thing to bring if a sense of fun and adventure. This is exciting - except for writing THAT check part. Try to take notes during delivery, and, ask questions. Take pictures and let us know how it went. Bill
  12. I just could not resist given the current thread on "Rockin Ollie"
  13. Yes, on these newer Olivers there is both a check valve and a ball valve. If you chose to leave the ball valve in the open position be very careful as to making sure that you do NOT attach your water hose to the incorrect inlet. If, by mistake, you attached your hose to the black tank flush thinking that you had actually attached it to the city or fresh water inlet you would shortly have a BIG mess on your hands (first the blank tank would fill and then it would overflow into the interior of your Oliver). Bill
  14. So, are you actually suggesting that "I" should do my own homework before buying a truck? It really is so much easier to simply ask others and then blame them when I get a vehicle that doesn't do what I want it to. Bill
  15. RB - Have you tried acetone? If you try it, GO LIGHTLY until you get the idea of what its doing. I've used acetone on some of the caulked areas to get the road grime and black stuff out. Bill
  16. I'll see your Viair and raise you a couple of Nikons?
  17. Overland - Nice move. Please tell me that alcohol was involved (that way you probably didn't care as much at the time). Bill
  18. That's great news! Good for you for sticking to your guns - what's right is right and you were certainly right on this one. Also, once again, it is nice to hear that the folks (Jason this time) at Oliver will do everything in their power to help owners with everything associated with an Oliver. Finally, it is nice to see that Truma did what was right too. Bill
  19. Looking good Tom. Isn't that mixture on the interior great? So easy and fast with no streaks - hard to believe. For touch-ups on the exterior (like the top of the propane cover and the bug splattered front) I use just the 952 Aquawax or the same mixture that I use on the inside. Nothing hard about it - glad you like the stuff. Bill
  20. I guess that I'm the wrong guy to ask - I rarely put down either of the two rear jacks. Of course, I am usually in there by myself but even when there is one or two additional people I've not noticed any objectionable movement. Bill p.s. I totally realize that the above comments don't mean a thing - if Mama ain't happy then nobody is happy!
  21. Guys - Hopefully someone that has immediate access to their Oliver will get the "exterior basement door" opening measurements to you shortly. I did go over to the Oliver University section (under "Travel Trailers" above in the blue banner) and found that the basement measures - 49 x 22 x 16 (deep). I believe that the "deep" means height or distance from the bottom of the Oliver to the underside of the interior floor. Hope that this helps. Bill
  22. Welcome - we're glad you are with us. Looking forward to both a new Oliver and retirement - the great news just keeps on coming. If we can help in any way just jump right on in. Bill
  23. Dudley doesn't travel but somehow he always gets this look on his face when I tell him I'm going on a trip - I wonder why?
  24. There are a number of different types of tire plugging systems on the market. Most are the "string" type - these use what looks like a string of black material that is inserted into the hole in the tire. However, there are also some that are a bit more substantial and resemble the "mushroom" plugs that many tire repair shops use. Which ever type you wind up with I'd suggest that you find an old tire and practice with it a couple of times prior to actually needing to perform a real plugging on the side of a dark wet road in the middle of nowhere. Also, after plugging a tire make sure that you check the air pressure in that tire often for the first couple of days just to make sure that the plug has done its job. Bill
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information