AGM for the Tow Vehicle

jd1923

I've asked about this several times over the last several years. Asked the owner of our local Batteries Plus, are AGM batteries better for our trucks? The answer in the past and since is "Yes, better but not worth twice the money!" I've had AGM batteries in my motorcycles over 10 years now.

The Dodge Ram Cummins always had two (2) Group 27 LA batteries. The last Dodge Cummins I had for 18 years had the same setup and twice I purchased the very reasonable Walmart EverStart batteries. Could have done the same this time for $150 ea. I searched for other batteries and the Odessey AGM came up $384 ea. Wow, like I said more $$$. In this case, should I pay $325 total with tax or $832. Go figure.

Then I found a new style EverStart AGM from Walmart, however they did not have the Group 27 size in this model. I found the H7 size to be very close to the Group 27, about 1/4" longer and wider, yet a full inch shorter in height. I purchased two of these modern AGM batteries: EverStart Platinum AGM Automotive Battery, Group Size H7 / LN4 / 94R 12 Volt, 800 CCA 140 RC - Walmart.com

They're made in South Korea, like that much better than China. South Korea manufacturing started earlier than China and is more mature in quality practices. Total OTD with tax $390 for two HD AGM truck batteries nice!

Ram LH Battery.jpg

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

I also purchased new battery terminals, crimped new lugs on all cables and new battery hold-downs, since they were all pretty crusty (see pics). The new batteries did not fit the OEM hold-downs (new Dorman hardware), so if you look closely, you'll see I had to rig some inserts to hold them tight.

I went with Military style terminals. First experience with these, and I love them! I purchased this item but would make another choice next time. Great terminals, the rubber covers are decent, but the lugs and heat shrink were not of best quality. Dodge Cummins Military Dual Battery Terminals, Lugs & Boots | eBay

These terminals have a 3/8" bolt end, so use 3/8" lugs on all your cables. The other side has a 5/16" bolt to tighten the terminal on the battery post. The beauty and simplicity here is that you can keep the 3/8" cable end held tight, and merely loosen the 5/16" nut to remove it from the battery. I've been fighting cables on dozens of vehicles since the70's! I purchased another couple of sets to use on our other old cars and trucks in the future, to be installed each time we need a new battery.

The other thing about Group 27 vs. these H7 AGMs is the posts are in reverse orientation. In making all new connections I had the change the +/- location of all cables. The main + cable, connecting the two batteries, mounted over the radiator core had to be shifted about a foot over. I had to make a new cable from the LH battery to the power distribution box, but most other cables had room to move 10" left or right.

I think it came out pretty good. The AGMs should last much longer. Every time I park the truck voltage is 13.1V or better, where LA is usually 12.6V at best. Let it park for a few days (and I have a cellular router running, rid-rat devices and more) and it's still at 12.9V. Love the AGMs! What do you think?

Cummins2.jpg

Ram Main Battery +Pos Rebuild.jpg

Ram RH Battery.jpg

• Moderator+

Looks good...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Always love a clean engine bay!!!  Nice looking compartment, @jd1923!  Well done, brother!

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

7 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Always love a clean engine bay!!!  Nice looking compartment, @jd1923!  Well done, brother!

Did a thorough cleaning when we purchased the truck (it is 23 years old). The engine compartment picture shows the old battery. Look how bad the terminals were in contrast. Thank you @ScubaRx and @MAX Burner😂

• Like 1

Did you have to change the charging profile in your truck? I know sometimes, depending on the truck and the recommended charging parameters for the battery, the truck won’t fully charge the battery. Some AGMs like a higher charging voltage than flooded lead acid batteries.

• Like 1

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

29 minutes ago, Rolind said:

Did you have to change the charging profile in your truck? I know sometimes, depending on the truck and the recommended charging parameters for the battery, the truck won’t fully charge the battery. Some AGMs like a higher charging voltage than flooded lead acid batteries.

Thank you for posing this question. I had a similar thought the other day, that perhaps I need a "Battery Tender" designed for AGM, to perform a final charge. Maybe I could plug it in once a week...

The many chargers I have now are all old-school automotive chargers for lead-acid. Walmart sells this as an automotive starting battery, meaning to be charged by automotive alternators. I didn't think it was enough of a concern, since by alternator there will still be more voltage than a lead-acid. They claim their AGM will have twice the life of the LA made by the same S. Korea manufacturer.

I will look for a technical support number and see what specs they have. I will post here later with whatever I learn and also my experiences as these batteries get more used. Thanks again!