Newbie from Blue Grass, Virginia

My wife and I have been lurking for awhile, but wanted to join to be able to interact some with y'all  🤗

Both of our kiddos are in college now.  And so, of course, we see a window of opportunity opening for new adventures!  💯

We've considered many options including:  Class A, Class B, Class C, van conversion, school bus conversion, box truck conversion, minivan conversion, etc..  We are now leaning towards pulling a trailer for the convenience of not having another engine to maintain and the ability to leave the camper behind at campsites for excursions, as well as to be able to use the tow-vehicle as a daily-driver when at home.  My wife wants me to build a custom trailer, which sounds like a fun project, but one that would likely take a long time to complete! 

The LE2 seems to be a good rig.  Loving the fiberglass shell.  Looked at other fiberglass shell models, including Scamp, Happier Camper, Casita, Bigfoot, Barefoot, and Escape, but there's always something not right: too small, too wide, not tall enough, yada, yada.  I'm sure you know how it goes.

Please be on the lookout for our posts!

Edited by k2watsen
  • Like 6

No trailer or tow vehicle yet!

Thinking about an LE2 Twin and a Tahoe with the new LZ0 diesel engine...

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
1 hour ago, k2watsen said:

k2watsen

Welcome and good luck on your decision and your adventures!

Kirk

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Welcome. We had a similar dilemma as we approached retirement, coming from a fifth wheel. I liked the idea of a Class B. Fit in regular parking spaces, get up and move without hitching, etc. My wife pointed out the very limited storage. I didn't want a big Class A or C, so we were back to towables. The Oliver checked the boxes of easy towing, less worry about roof leaks (it can still leak, but there's virtually no wood to rot), and robust solar and electrical power. As a bonus, it fits in a lot of campsites the others don't.

Good luck with your decision. Being empty nesters really opens up your opportunities.

• Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Welcome k2watsen! We’re also from Virginia. We have the LEII which is the first trailer that we’ve ever owned and absolutely love it. I’m assuming that you’ve seen an Oliver in real life? We looked for campers off and on for quite a few years until we saw the Oliver. Good luck on your search and welcome again to the forums. 

• Like 1

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

@k2watsen:

Welcome to the Oliver Family!  

PREDICTION:  The longer you lurk or otherwise participate in the Oliver Forums, the more likely you’ll be converted, sucked in, and ultimately made into an OTT Owner!

CAUTION the previous comment regarding “empty nesters”:   Speaking strictly from experience, THEY COME BACK!

Cheers, and don’t hesitate to use the valuable knowledge base these forums provide!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

1 hour ago, mountainoliver said:

Welcome k2watsen! We’re also from Virginia. We have the LEII which is the first trailer that we’ve ever owned and absolutely love it. I’m assuming that you’ve seen an Oliver in real life? We looked for campers off and on for quite a few years until we saw the Oliver. Good luck on your search and welcome again to the forums. 

Hi mountainoliver!

Thanks for your response.  I've only seen an Oliver on the road.   There's a dealer not too far from me, but I haven't reached out yet.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

@k2watsen:

Welcome to the Oliver Family!  

PREDICTION:  The longer you lurk or otherwise participate in the Oliver Forums, the more likely you’ll be converted, sucked in, and ultimately made into an OTT Owner!

CAUTION the previous comment regarding “empty nesters”:   Speaking strictly from experience, THEY COME BACK!

Cheers, and don’t hesitate to use the valuable knowledge base these forums provide!

Ha ha, I think that you are right on both counts, but not such a bad thing, right? 😉

Edited by k2watsen
forget the word "not"
  • Haha 1

Definitely go see an Oliver, better yet see one that is owned not necessarily one on a dealership lot (although you’ll be impressed either way). You’ll get a chance to hear the real low down from someone who has lived with an Oliver. I guarantee you that you’ll be impressed!

• Like 1

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

• Moderators

100% agree with Mountainoliver - use the Oliver website to "see an Oliver near you".

go to:  https://olivertraveltrailers.com/

then click on: "shopping tools"  near top of page in the middle: 

then click on: "See an Oliver near you:  

Next pick option # 2 or #3.  to arrange a visit with a current owner.

Note here that the folks at Oliver will never hard sell you nor spam you nor bother you.

And - we are always here for you if you have questions (which you will).

Welcome and we are glad that you are here!

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, mountainoliver said:

Definitely go see an Oliver, better yet see one that is owned not necessarily one on a dealership lot (although you’ll be impressed either way). You’ll get a chance to hear the real low down from someone who has lived with an Oliver. I guarantee you that you’ll be impressed!

Good advice - thanks!  

Where in Virginia are you?  I'm in NoVA a lot also...

21 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

100% agree with Mountainoliver - use the Oliver website to "see an Oliver near you".

go to:  https://olivertraveltrailers.com/

then click on: "shopping tools"  near top of page in the middle: 

then click on: "See an Oliver near you:  

Next pick option # 2 or #3.  to arrange a visit with a current owner.

Note here that the folks at Oliver will never hard sell you nor spam you nor bother you.

And - we are always here for you if you have questions (which you will).

Welcome and we are glad that you are here!

Bill

Thanks!   I saw that option, but feel like I want to lurk a little more first so I know what questions to ask...   😉

@k2watsen, "My wife wants me to build a custom trailer...." - Interesting.  My wife said something different "You can't fix anything" - so I got an Oliver!!  I learned how to use a grease gun.  That was cool (and messy).  Two reasons I got an Oliver - this forum, and visiting Oliver in TN.  Not just the tour, but meeting the team.  There is always someone around to help and offer guidance and being part of the Oliver Family is a real thing.

Good luck.  We are right there with you with the 2 kids in College.  Mostly on the West Coast but live part time in Williamsburg.  We plan to have it out there in May if you are in the area.

2023 Elite II - Hull Number 1335, Twin Bed
Rivian R1T - Local/Regional | 2018 Nissan Armada - Longer Distance
Simi Valley CA | Williamsburg VA 

Welcome to the forum! Lots of info and owner knowledge and experience to learn from here.
If you have time take the Oliver factory tour. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

6 hours ago, RichM said:

@k2watsen, "My wife wants me to build a custom trailer...." - Interesting.  My wife said something different "You can't fix anything" - so I got an Oliver!!  I learned how to use a grease gun.  That was cool (and messy).  Two reasons I got an Oliver - this forum, and visiting Oliver in TN.  Not just the tour, but meeting the team.  There is always someone around to help and offer guidance and being part of the Oliver Family is a real thing.

Good luck.  We are right there with you with the 2 kids in College.  Mostly on the West Coast but live part time in Williamsburg.  We plan to have it out there in May if you are in the area.

Nice!  My parents are near Williamsburg, so that might work out too.

Wow, two unsolicited offers to see an Ollie!  This truly is a nice place.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Patriot said:

Welcome to the forum! Lots of info and owner knowledge and experience to learn from here.
If you have time take the Oliver factory tour. 

Patriot🇺🇸

Thanks Patriot.  I just might do the tour.   It's a couple days driving for me to get there...

I suppose it makes sense to do that before placing an order, as then one can get eyes and hands on selection-options.  

All the photos and videos y'all share give a pretty good idea, but there is no substitute to seeing in-person!

Edited by k2watsen

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

@k2watsen

I am sure y'all have noticed discussions about the annual Oliver Travel Trailer Owners rally.  It will be held at Lake Guntersville State Park in Alabama, May 15 to 19, 2024.  If you would like to see over 100 OTT's in one place, consider this an invitation.  And the icing on the cake would be combining a factory visit with the rally.

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
  • Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

25 minutes ago, mossemi said:

@k2watsen

I am sure y'all have noticed discussions about the annual Oliver Travel Trailer Owners rally.  It will be held at Lake Guntersville State Park in Alabama, May 15 to 19, 2024.  If would like to see over 100 OTT's in one place, consider this an invitation.  And the icing on the cake would be combining a factory visit with the rally.

Mossey

Actually, I glossed over it before.  Bringing it into focus, it is tempting...  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k2watsen said:

Wow, two unsolicited offers to see an Ollie!  This truly is a nice place.  Thanks!

We bought Hull #1291 in November, 2022.  Our first RV of any kind.  I researched for two years, including looking at many trailers.  I also spent much time on this forum, before settling on the Oliver Elite II.  Along with overall build quality, the quality of help available via this forum was one positive factor resulting in our purchase. 

After our purchase, I have continued to learn lots of valuable info about repair and maintenance of our Oliver here.  My wife and I remain pleased with our decision, and with the content available on this forum.

Edited by Rivernerd
  • Like 7

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg