Starlink Mini Roam $50.00 a month

Posted (edited)

As promised here is a quick update on our SL mini field use. It’s a game changer for us. No more local WiFi or cell hot spot to think about. We are presently in Colorado Springs and the mini took about 8 min to deploy and we were up and running.  Certainly the wide open Colorado skies allowed for quick recognition of the satellites. I do think the mini will serve us well. It’s a cinch to pack up and stow. Onward to South Fork and then beautiful Wolf Creek Pass, then make our way to Durango, Ouray, Montrose and then Grand Junction.

Cheers all! We are happy to be traveling!

IMG_1510.thumb.jpeg.7bee8d6f3f5f8f8920944a6ae384a6a9.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

Love having more options but I think this comes down to use case. If you are unsure of which one will best suit you, here is a great comparison of their two newest dishes.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

-  Mike  Brentwood, TN  -  2018 Elite II  -  Spirit of Adventure Hull #308 -  2016 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L  Class IV hitch with 12k lb coupler, Starlink, Cradlepoint cellular modem, Victron Multiplus II 12V 3000W, Ekrano display, Orion XS 50amp, Atmos 4.4 15k AC/12K Heat pump, Nova Kool 5810 fridge, Epoch 460aH x2, 520 watts solar, Custom rear bicycle rack, Alcan Springs, Bulldog shocks, Falken H/T02 tires

IMG_4281.jpeg

Update on SL mini use.

After using our SL Mini for 4 hrs last Saturday we blew through 7 GB pretty fast. We had 2 iPads and a TV streaming to give you an idea. Based on our use and needs, we opted to upgrade to the unlimited use plan for $150 per month. This plan still allows to pause the service when not using it.  Space EX makes it tantalizingly easy to switch plans. (Of course they do) cha ching! 😄

We are now in South Fork, CO overnighting at a CG for the evening. Upon our arrival, as soon as I deployed and plugged in the mini (5min) we were online and all set. This CG has given us another good trial run with the mini as the WiFi here is pretty much non existent.

As mentioned perviously, the space saving portability of the mini, compact size, and ease of deployment are worthy of consideration if you think you might consider SL. Truly a game changer for us. 

Happy and Safe Travels!

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just learned from SL via email below, that the unlimited plan has gone up from $150 to $165 per month. The good thing is we can still pause this service plan when not using it. So far on this trip we have been very happy with our SL mini. 

Thank you for being a Starlink customer. We are making changes to your service plan and price in order to deliver an improved Starlink experience. 
Effective immediately, you will have access to the following features with Starlink Roam:
  • In-Motion Use
  • International Travel
  • Coastal Coverage
To support these enhancements and our ongoing network improvements, your monthly service price for Starlink Roam will be $165. The updated monthly price and new Terms of Service will go into effect starting 10/10/2024. 
Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 2

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Has anybody worked a permanent rooftop installation? I like the specs, IP67, wide temp range, wind speeds 60+ MPH.

Anybody wire Starlink Mini as WAN input to a router?

We did our Pepwave upgrade in Jan. Just 9 months ago Starlink was $2500 HW cost and no Mini. It’s now feasible!

Anybody use this yet for Zoom meetings?  How is latency? (common in Sat connections) Thanks @Patriot 

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

Has anybody worked a permanent rooftop installation? I like the specs, IP67, wide temp range, wind speeds 60+ MPH.

Anybody wire Starlink Mini as WAN input to a router?

We did our Pepwave upgrade in Jan. Just 9 months ago Starlink was $2500 HW cost and no Mini. It’s now feasible!

Anybody use this yet for Zoom meetings?  How is latency? (common in Sat connections) Thanks @Patriot 

Based on how light and compact the Mini is, I wont be considering a permanent mount. The main reason is if I am parked where there are any obstructions I will have to move the mini to a northern unobstructed view for a solid satellite connection. Now this is just based on our experience so far on this trip. The SL mini has a reported latency of 23 milliseconds according to SpaceX. We have not used it for any zoom meetings, but we did stream the entire Presidential debate last night without any interruption issues. 

I am going to keep it simple and deploy it from its carrying case. So far we are very pleased with the mini and it is serving our needs perfectly. One thing we have both noticed and really like is that it connects instantly to our (4) devices after plugging in the dish. Perfect!

Onward!

IMG_1718.thumb.jpeg.13416661da0d0013e1777ec47eef7a78.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

16 hours ago, Patriot said:

We have not used it for any zoom meetings

Just for reference. I have used the mini for many Zoom meetings, including 2 simultaneously, worked great with no issues. 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

Todd & Kat

2023 LE ll twin, hull # 1305, Truma AC & WH, Platinum solar, Natures Head

2024 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3L gasser / 3.75, FX4

12 hours ago, Zodd said:

Just for reference. I have used the mini for many Zoom meetings, including 2 simultaneously, worked great with no issues. 

Cool, thank you!

Btw, if you are a Zoom presenter, which is the vehicle of my parttime semi-retirement job, you are pushing more data up vs. down, and upload latency is an issue in all Sat connections. On all technology platforms, download speeds are 5-10x upload speeds, np for streaming movies, or if you must the Presidential Debate (oh 'twas so painful). 🤣

One part of me wants to be able to do my work on the road, so to travel more often. The other side says screw that and it's a GREAT day boondocking when in a deep canyon we're not connected! 

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

That is true. During one of the calls I was presenting and it worked great. Again it all depends on the speeds you happen to be getting. But then again I have the same issue at home sometimes. This morning working from the camp spot speeds are good. Upload is for sure slower but 15 Mbps up with 22ms latency will work. On my plan Starlink can throttle me though so your mileage may vary. 

image.thumb.png.f04cc8ee1c3a6a81700f86705b73fb8a.png

Todd & Kat

2023 LE ll twin, hull # 1305, Truma AC & WH, Platinum solar, Natures Head

2024 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3L gasser / 3.75, FX4