Sign in to follow this  
SeaDawg

Campsite Cooking

Campsite favorites... Simple, just a few ingredients... often involve the campfire or grill... or maybe something you bring partially prepared from home... What's cooking at your campsite?

Paul's Awesome Flank Steak... His claim to fame... Easy & delicious.

1. Go to Sam's club or your favorite meat market. Buy a nice flank steak (or two, as they usually come packaged at Sam's)

2. Lay out each steak on the cutting board and poke with a fork about thirty or forty times on each side. (Two reasons... tenderizes, and accepts more marinade.) Trim any excess tallow.

3. Get out your favorite marinading container... flatter the better, with a tight seal... Or a gallon Ziploc bag. Grab a bottle of your favorite marinade... Ours is Lawry's Teryiaki with Pineapple. Layer a little marinade on the bottom of the dish. Add a flank steak. Cover the top with a thin layer of marinade. Repeat if you're marinading more. Put the lid on, or zip it up. Swirl around, gently. Put in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours, turning the steaks every 12 hours. The longer you marinade, the stronger the flavor. Three days is about max.

4.Fire up the grill. Grill for about 5-7 minutes each side... They're thin... not a lot longer unless you're a well done fan.

5. Put the cutting board in a rimmed cookie sheet to keep the juices off the counter or table. Slice thin, on the diagonal, with a sharp knife and enjoy. Great with pasta, baked potatoes, or roasted red bliss & veggies.

Figure about 1/3 pound per person... or a half pound if you're really hungry!. Leftovers are great on a salad the next day with croutons, onions, and bleu cheese.

We grilled this tonite, and really enjoyed it. Hence, the post.

What's your favorite campsite recipe?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

May I add a quick, yummy pot of beans to go along with your grilling Seadawg? This wouldn't exactly go along with the teriyaki (because of the sweetness) But for grilling chicken, steaks, burger's etc. This is a really yummy side dish. I grew up calling them Ranch Beans, you may call it whatever you want.

You can make as big as a pot as you want, just vary the amounts to meet the amount of people your feeding.

4 - people side dish- Ranch Beans

1 pound -ish of ground beef, browned (I brown with a little garlic salt) Drain off

Add

1 32oz can of pinto beans (some family members use chili bean's, you decided)

and a 16oz jar of salsa (we use a little more) (use any salsa you like, Brand, spicyness etc)

Let simmer for at least 20 min,

just before you sever stir in at least 8oz of grated Cheddar cheese (we use more!) the cheese thickens up the beans .

If I am making this for a large crowd, I use Pace picante sauce (med) as it seems more universal as far as the spicyness factor!

You can make this in larger amounts, If I am making this to take to a bbq potluck, I may use 4 or 5 pounds of ground beef and one of those 111oz can's of pinto beans, and lot's of salsa and cheese. There is no set recipe! You just make them as meaty, beany, cheesy, spicy as you want! Enjoy Bella

Hey SeaDawg!!!

Why was that speciality steak of Pauls not served at the 1st ever Unsanctioned Oliver Rally?? Sounds delicious!! :o

The beans sound yummy but they have to be cooked. I hate to cook :( ! My best side bean dish only requires the brand name "Ranch Beans" and can of any good brand of Mexican seasoned chopped tomatoes with Mexican herbs, spices and/or peppers: S&W, Libbeys, etc. Drain juice from tomatoes(save for Bloody Mary later) mix together, microwave and sprinkle pre-grated cheese (preferably Mexican Taco mix) 1/2 way thru microwaving. Easy to double if ya' got a big 'nough bowl. I've been assured the microwaving is not considered cooking!

Another hor d'ourves dish is good quality all beef hot dogs cut up in hickory (or your favorite ) BBQ sauce in a crock pot and heated low for several hours. I have also been assured crock potting is not cooking either!!! :roll:

Tumbleweed,

Cooking takes on many textures, of appliances, ingredients, techniques . . . it's the outcome that's important but the journey can be fun as well. About dissing the lowly crockpot - NOT SO FAST MOOSEBREATH! :o

There is an excellent cookbook for the smaller crockpot that specializes in fine cuisine for 2 people . It is "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two: For the Small Slow Cooker" by Beth Hensburger. (At Amazon.com for around 10 bucks)

"This downsized appliance for the single person or the childless couple allows the cook to prepare a meal in the morning, head off to a job, and still have a hot meal virtually ready when the workday has ended. Hensperger demonstrates this diminutive cooker's versatility with a collection of recipes that fit in with today's changing tastes in food. Chilis and soups show off the slow cooker's obvious virtues. In addition to beef- and pork-based stews and braises, plenty of turkey and chicken recipes appeal to devotees of lower-fat cooking. Polenta and risotto enhance the usual pasta dishes."

Using this book, with minimal prep, you can go off on your wanderings all day long and return to a scrumptious meal later on in the day.

Try it, you just might make a skeptic a convert!

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Hi Pete,

Well Earthdancer has also taken me to task for my humbling of the crockpot and therefore I will surrender my crockpotting to her. As for the moosebreath accusation, yes, I have been known to drink Moosehead Beer and will never again TOUCH a crockpot. I hope that you are happy and for that statement you owe me a Lone Star beer at our first meeting!!

Happy NOT to cook, Chuck

Hey, Chuck... don't throw in the towel or the crockpot yet.... Anybody can learn... Personally, I think crockpot cooking is a great art... one I enjoy a lot. Low energy use, delicious results...

As far as Paul's steak recipe... we'll marinade one for the next unofficial, unsanctioned Oliver rally, I promise... we'll be waiting for your review!!! When are you two in Pasco next? :P

Sherry (PS UNSANCTIONED RULES!!! :D )

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12