Olivers extended warranty offer

Trainman

I see Oliver is now offering Extended Warranties on their travel trailers for trailers that are within a 5 year period from there sale date. First let me say I have never purchased an extender warranty on any thing that I have purchased and have never found a repair within the time period offered by the product warranty to cost more then the extender warranty cost. I'm not going to go into all the pros and cons about extended warranties as each one of us have different thoughts on this and I'm sure they will come out in time on this forum. For many like myself I'm pretty good about diagnosing the repair problem and handling it myself, but for those who don't feel comfortable about doing this the extended warranty may work for you. As you know with extended warranties you may be required to take your trailer to certain dealers for repair and you will also find that all dealers may not want to repair your trailer under the extended warranty repair policy and you may have to pay there repair bill and file the claim yourself and take what your extended warranty company says they would pay for such a claim, thus leaving you to makeup the difference in monies from your own pocket. Just my thoughts on extended warranties, you will have to make that decision for yourself, but know all the facts before you buy.  

trainman 

• Like 4

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Good post, I agree entirely. I think extended warranties may make sense for car or trucks, where the dealers are skilled and located all over the place - especially for turbo diesels that are likely to have very expensive out-of-warranty problems. For a travel trailer, nope. No way.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 minute ago, John E Davies said:

Good post, I agree entirely. I think extended warranties may make sense for car or trucks, where the dealers are skilled and located all over the place - especially for turbo diesels that are likely to have very expensive out-of-warranty problems. For a travel trailer, nope. No way.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Yes on chassis based RVs.  With all the sophisticated electronics on today's vehicles, DIY chassis repairs are somewhat limited. 

We purchased an extended warranty on our Leisure Travel Van, in light of the MB Sprinter diesel chassis.  In 4 years (2 years past coach warranty and 1 year past MB warranty, we did not use the extended coverage.  However, with the warranty being transferable, it made our van more attractive to potential buyers.  We sold it, before it was ever advertised and the warranty was a big factor (aside from pristine condition, low miles, and high demand based on brand and Covid conditions).  

We also purchased a 5-yr extended warranty on a 5th-wheel, solely because we were new to RVs and not confident about DIY repairs nor the quality of mass produced units, and only a 1 year factory warranty (Keystone)  We did not need this warranty either.  However, when we sold the trailer three years later, the purchase price was refunded, prorated based on years remaining.  

So, two questions to ask:

1. Is the warranty transferable if you sell to a private party (ours was not if we sold to a dealer)?

2. Is the warranty refundable if you sell/trade the RV before the warranty expiration?

3. Also, does the coverage include towing or mobile service?

This being said, I agree with Trainman that it depends on your ability to make your own repairs.  Do you want to pay up front and deal with waiting for pre-approval from the warranty carrier, filing a claim and or requesting reimbursement.  We will most likely self-insure, assuming Oliver still offers lifetime support, should problems arise.    

Many makers of individual components offer extended warranties on their products. 

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

3 hours ago, DCdude said:

I talked with the sales staff yesterday about my delivery date and this was mentioned. They said this was one of the most requested items. 

But, I agree with you; it’s not for me.

I thought the most requested item was a bigger Ollie.🧐

• Haha 5
  • Wow 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Landrover said:

If anyone gets Harvest Host news letter take a look at the section for Rv recall list. They all need extended  warranties long list.

We get the HH news letter and I read the recall list.  Quite long.  We’re going on five years and we haven’t had any expenses other than normal maintenance (bearings, brake wear, etc).  We had some warranty items but Oliver covered the expense for them or they corrected the issue.  At this point, looking back, I’m not sure an extended warranty would have been worth the cost.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

5 hours ago, Landrover said:

I thought the most requested item was a bigger Ollie.🧐

I would write “or compressor refrigerator?” but then this post would head off in a much different direction and it would soon be about tow vehicle size!😂

• Haha 5

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

• 4 months later...

Extended Warranties are Okay to consider as long as they are offered by the Original Manufacture and are transferable/refundable. I recently bought 2 used "Certified Mercedes Benz" cars with Extended Warranties for around $2200.00 each, great value. I sold one of them and pasted the Warranty on to the new owner for what I paid for it. 

I am curious though as to why most RV Manufactures don't pass their New vehicle Warranty on to other owners. I know Airstream does, this is a big factor! 

• Moderators

Just a thought--have you scrolled through the numerous exclusions on the Airstream standard original warranty? Or other manufacturers? Airstream exclusions are several pages long, including pretty much any appliance or other item warranted by the component manufacturer. 

https://support.airstream.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031206251-What-is-not-covered-in-the-Limited-Warranty-Policy-

As far as transferring extended warranty,  I  have no idea if this is transferred or not. It was not offered in 2008, nor would we have purchased it, if it were. 

Edited by SeaDawg
Add link.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The information Oliver gave us for extended warranty was from a third party.  Unless this has changed, Oliver does not sell the extended warranty; they only recommend.

As I stated earlier, we did purchase an extended warranty for our MB Sprinter based RV, entirely because of the chassis being costly to repair.  We sold the RV before the manufacturers warranty ran out, but the transferrable extended warranty was a major factor in the buyers purchasing our Leisure Travel Van.  We also purchased an extended dealer warranty for our BMW X5 (same reason - costly to repair).  That being said, I have more faith in the reliability of my BMW X5-35d (6 yrs old) than I do of the MB Sprinter.  We have the BMW maintained regularly by dealer techs.  The only mechanical repair has been an EGR cooler safety recall (your engine could catch fire!).  We did, however, have the entertainment/nav sys screen go wacko.  The cost to repair it paid for the extended warranty, even with a $250 deductible. 

So, it's your call.  Personally, an extended warranty on a non-motorized RV is probably not worth the hassle of finding a shop willing to do warranty repair, getting the repair authorized by the warranty carrier and/or filing a claim and waiting for reimbursement.  If we have a breakdown that we can't fix by DIY, I want to be able to walk into the shop and say: tell me if you can fix it; I'm paying cash 😀 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

For the last 20 years of my working life I was a service manager for a company that sold expensive large format printing equipment. I sold extended warranties they were a huge income producer. Not for the customer, but for us providing the contract. That is one reason I never buy one. I’ve been on the other side of the equation. If I am looking at a purchase that I think is going to require a large amount of expensive maintenance, or that I do not think will be reliable instead of buying an extended warranty I  probably need to be looking at buying a different product. 

• Like 2

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #845

On 2/11/2021 at 4:32 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

The information Oliver gave us for extended warranty was from a third party.  Unless this has changed, Oliver does not sell the extended warranty; they only recommend.

As I stated earlier, we did purchase an extended warranty for our MB Sprinter based RV, entirely because of the chassis being costly to repair.  We sold the RV before the manufacturers warranty ran out, but the transferrable extended warranty was a major factor in the buyers purchasing our Leisure Travel Van.  We also purchased an extended dealer warranty for our BMW X5 (same reason - costly to repair).  That being said, I have more faith in the reliability of my BMW X5-35d (6 yrs old) than I do of the MB Sprinter.  We have the BMW maintained regularly by dealer techs.  The only mechanical repair has been an EGR cooler safety recall (your engine could catch fire!).  We did, however, have the entertainment/nav sys screen go wacko.  The cost to repair it paid for the extended warranty, even with a $250 deductible. 

So, it's your call.  Personally, an extended warranty on a non-motorized RV is probably not worth the hassle of finding a shop willing to do warranty repair, getting the repair authorized by the warranty carrier and/or filing a claim and waiting for reimbursement.  If we have a breakdown that we can't fix by DIY, I want to be able to walk into the shop and say: tell me if you can fix it; I'm paying cash 😀 

As I have come to realize - Oliver does such a fine job supporting all customers - an extended warranty is just part of the deal - it may cost some after a few years - but hey - they stand behind it....

Fan dude....

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201