Anyone signing up for Starlink?

• Moderators

Their public beta has begun, with pricing announced at $99/month plus $500 up front to buy the antenna. Pricey, but not insane if the speeds are good and you spend a lot of time away from cell coverage.  Any takers?

• Like 2

Snowball • 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

40 minutes ago, Overland said:

Their public beta has begun, with pricing announced at $99/month plus $500 up front to buy the antenna. Pricey, but not insane if the speeds are good and you spend a lot of time away from cell coverage.  Any takers?

Sounds like a "Better than nothing" solution . . . . . I expect there to be better options in the future.  That being said, it scares me how dependent people have become on Internet connectivity.  I have always embraced technology, but there's a part of me that will always be "Old School".

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin Hull# 699 - delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

• Moderators

Depends on the speed, bandwidth, and reliability, I think. We pay as much if not more for unlimited cellular internet, so if Starlink turns out to be a viable alternative it may be a better choice for us. 

I wouldn’t count on a competitor showing up anytime soon. I think a few have been announced but they’ll be three or four years behind, and possibly more expensive since companies like Amazon don’t own their own rockets. 

Edited by Overland

9 minutes ago, Overland said:

Depends on the speed, bandwidth, and reliability, I think. We pay as much if not more for unlimited cellular internet, so if Starlink turns out to be a viable alternative it may be a better choice for us. 

I wouldn’t count on a competitor showing up anytime soon. I think a few have been announced but they’ll be three or four years behind, and possibly more expensive since companies like Amazon don’t own their own rockets. 

Our rural electric coop is partnering with a fiber network to provide high speed internet to all its customers, many of whom have little or no connectivity.  The plan is just in development; they expect it to be 3 or 4 years before everyone has service.  Price is a little less than what we pay now for DSL through our landline phone; $100/month seems to be the sweet spot most are willing to pay.  DSL is not the best, especially when users are streaming entertainment, but ok.  We also have cellular service, but not unlimited data.  4GB is $50/month.  Use it mostly when on the road, but it's dependent on cell reception.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

I have a couple of personal reasons to really dislike this new technology, though it is a game changer for rural folks and especially for emergency response teams moving into devastated regions. The possibility of space junk from collisions - they weigh nearly 600 pounds each, with over 4000 satellites planned, and there has been a very near miss already - and night-sky light pollution. This is what happens when a ground telescope takes a long exposure picture while a string of these satellites is passing overhead:

1324px-Astro.thumb.jpg.c5bd758b996ad38f47d5e55bab534827.jpg

These can probably be reduced, but not eliminated, by tech improvement. Starlink is planning to do this at other locations too, specifically our moon and Mars: ...https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/starlink-on-mars

As a long time sci-fi fan, the idea of surfing the Web from Olympus Mons or Valles Marineris simply boggles my mind... And FYI Season 5 of "The Expanse" starts in a six weeks 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

We do like to stop someplace, every once in a while, and download some e-mail., maybe.  The view is better out the window, than down at the phone?

The benefit to us would be for emergency use and trip planning.  We usually just plan a few days at a time, sometimes hour by hour, and it's nice to be able to bring up a map, look something up, etc.  Plus we both still work, so the ability to take care of something without having to drive out of the way to find service would be welcome.

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1

I've signed up to beta test but haven't been invited in the first round of emails that just went out. As someone who plans on working and traveling, it has the potential to be a game changer. For now, the dish probably doesn't lend itself for direct mounting on a trailer but I'm guessing that will change in the near future. The current dish could probably be used from any site if you simply sat it on a pedestal however. It is currently unknown if they will allow beta testers to travel with their units.

Leaked images of the current dish: https://imgur.com/a/ygxncIO

Edited by Jairon
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I have a couple of personal reasons to really dislike this new technology, though it is a game changer for rural folks and especially for emergency response teams moving into devastated regions. The possibility of space junk from collisions - they weigh nearly 600 pounds each, with over 4000 satellites planned, and there has been a very near miss already - and night-sky light pollution. This is what happens when a ground telescope takes a long exposure picture while a string of these satellites is passing overhead:

1324px-Astro.thumb.jpg.c5bd758b996ad38f47d5e55bab534827.jpg

These can probably be reduced, but not eliminated, by tech improvement. Starlink is planning to do this at other locations too, specifically our moon and Mars: ...https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/starlink-on-mars

As a long time sci-fi fan, the idea of surfing the Web from Olympus Mons or Valles Marineris simply boggles my mind... And FYI Season 5 of "The Expanse" starts in a six weeks 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Starlink is , of course, committed to reducing their space junk footprint. https://www.starlink.com/

At the moment,  stuck at home, or the NC woods, where unlimited voice and data cellphones cost far less, but when we get back to the Yukon.... it could be a gamechanger.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Have you all seen the Starlink satellite trains?  Recent satellites had to be equipped with "visors" to prevent light pollution; only those launched before June 13, 2020 can be seen with the naked eye.

There are several online tracking sites to tell you when they can be seen from your location.

https://observer.com/2020/08/spacex-starlink-satellite-launch-tracker-how-to-see-in-sky/

Ray and Susan Huff