Anyone signing up for Starlink?

Overland

• Moderators

This will definitely be an asset for people who really need high speed data when camped. Thanks for the link, @John E Davies.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Received this email this morning. We got our Starlink in mid-February and the service for us has been great. We have no other internet available where we live and had been surviving on our data from cell phones the last few years. Ours is mounted on a pole above our 2nd story so probably won't be transporting it unless we were to take a long trip. Hopefully others will be able to take advantage of this. $25 per month doesn't seem like a bad price.

Starlink.png

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

Hello Everyone,

Finally, I have arrived at my first Harvest Hosts overnight!  Diamond A Cattle Co., Pukwana, SD, is a great spot if you are traveling west on I-90.  Kudos to my host, Crystal, who met me at the road and led me to her nice, flat pasture.  There were two other campers boondocking; however, there was still oodles of room.  What an exhausting drive; I counted 11 semi-tractor trailers blown over on their sides due to the storms and ferocious winds between Sioux Falls and Mitchell, SD.  I was in a windstorm reminiscent of the Dust Bowl.  If Oliver every wants a testimonial for wind-handling performance, that was it!

Let's get to the real purpose of this note:  TONIGHT'S UPDATE ON STARLINK

With my Sheridan, Wyoming trip in mind, yesterday I signed up for Starlink "Portability," even though experience has shown that Dishy works fine in areas other than my local service area.  For the extra dollars per month, it just seems to me the safer bet.  Besides, Portability itself can be canceled for the months it is not needed.

When I arrived at my HH spot tonight, I immediately went to work on Starlink.  I set Dishy up on the rear street side and snaked the router cable in through the basement, through the door into the cabin, and then plugged it into the Starlink router.  (NOTE:  Coating the rubber seal on the router cables with silicone grease makes them much easier to plug and unplug.)

I plugged the router power cord into the router and then into the outlet above the bed and within one minute I had my Internet WiFi network running in R-Villa.  

Running the Starlink speed test:  101 Mbps down, 21 Mbps up

Ookla speed test:  123 Mbps down, 26.4 Mbps up

Fast enough for all my purposes!

The photo shows "Dishy" next to the red Andersen block.  You can see the router cable running into the basement door.

67410282233__6DFAA5AC-452F-4F7F-A5DA-100CCAC91C85.thumb.jpeg.61fe30bd94e65ada437c637ca492e1bb.jpeg

• Like 6

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

1 hour ago, IL_Travelers said:

The photo shows "Dishy" next to the red Andersen block.  You can see the router cable running into the basement door.

Nice photo! That looks like a great setup. 

Kirk 

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators
8 hours ago, IL_Travelers said:

What an exhausting drive; I counted 11 semi-tractor trailers blown over on their sides due to the storms and ferocious winds between Sioux Falls and Mitchell, SD.  I was in a windstorm reminiscent of the Dust Bowl.  If Oliver every wants a testimonial for wind-handling performance, that was it!

Yes, yes, yes.

Glad that you are OK and that the Ollie did what it was supposed to do.

Talk about a hooked up Ollie.  That pic sure does make your Oliver look soooooo in tune with the times.  Very nice!

Bill

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Can be paused and restarted, pay as you go, in one month increments. 30 days to return for a full refund of equipment cost, per the website.

Screenshot_20220524-114219_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220524-114110_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

There goes the neighborhood. I knew the day was coming sooner rather than later, but have enjoyed the fact of big "dead zones" which are not super attractive to the growing hordes of "digital nomads" out here in the west. At least it will take a while for most folks to move from fancy LTE/5G antenna/booster/aggregation type setups to satellite...

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Has anyone come up with an ingenius Starlink dishy mount yet for the Oliver since we have no ladder to attach it to? You can obviously just set it on the ground or a table but we'd like the option of having it up higher when needed. Considering ordering a flagpole wheel stand and securing it under the front jack but thought I'd ask the brain trust first.

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 12:28 AM, jdmmtx said:

Has anyone come up with an ingenius Starlink dishy mount yet for the Oliver since we have no ladder to attach it to? You can obviously just set it on the ground or a table but we'd like the option of having it up higher when needed. Considering ordering a flagpole wheel stand and securing it under the front jack but thought I'd ask the brain trust first.

I'd avoid mounting it. The ground allows for better flexibility if your line of site from the camper is bad. The ground mount gives you a 75ft radius around your camper to work around trees and other obstructions.

• Like 2

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

After over a year of waiting, I canceled my initial Starlink order and went with the RV option. It shipped out the next day. The RV package has a clause for throttling if there is congestion but it works 1000x better than moving my cell phone around in the sky for 20 minutes to check the weather.

• Like 2

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748