Jump to content

Entry door security camera


Landrover
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve been looking for some time to have a security camera above the entry door.  Most wireless cameras are not wireless  they still need a power wire. I also didn’t want to drill holes and fish wiring though the hull.  Roaming around Walmart I spotted this back up camera by Whistler.

  The camera is totally wireless and once fully charged via USB it has built in solar to keep the battery maintained. The monitor is 4in and plugs into a 12v outlet. With a suction cup mount. Looking at the picture on the box it looked like it would be a perfect fit above the entry door. The purchase price was $100,00  I rolled the dice if it didn’t fit perfectly it was going back.  I did a Amazon check it appears this model is only sold at Walmart.  The reviews on the whistler models were mixed good and bad.  Once the camera was charged I turned on the monitor within seconds the picture appeared. Very nice color image it has inferred for night time haven’t try it yet. Very few features it is not a continuous on you can choose  20 sec to 120 sec on then auto off plenty of time to see who is outside your door. Also no audio or recording capability.  Simple setup no frills. 

Mounting the camera I used Scotch outdoor heavy duty Velcro very secure. Very happy on the looks of the camera  attached to the hull above the door  it looks like a factory installed  option.  The Big question?? Will it last, does anything these days? It’s the $100.00 question. We shall see I'll give a review in 6 month’s the warranty is good for one year.  attached are the photos of the install. 

 

CB50008F-2B84-4CD8-BCF2-54036391EACC.jpeg

76E0D405-B0FF-4716-BB95-A151A710C7AB.jpeg

FEFF3141-1CC1-4F31-820D-32C36137BD4C.jpeg

8F2439B3-7955-46C4-81F7-BBEF16136E0B.jpeg

8A4FADD6-BA0A-4E5F-ACDA-554F1421F085.jpeg

C61B9007-34AF-415B-BF0F-DD198B296E13.jpeg

AEBB0758-C615-45C4-B97D-8CD8FA2B54A2.jpeg

  • Like 10

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, that is pretty cool. Can the camera itself be adjusted vertically? 

Never mind, found a pic:

19D3DF17-5AC2-4AB3-978F-41661D59F6F1.thumb.jpeg.cbabb65246e04b3ac35f47b67c3a3900.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like you have both the clear glass AND a camera.  Nice setup.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also see in the manual that that supports 2 cameras so you could put one on the other side as well.

 

  1. This system can support 2 cameras, select the camera you

    would like to pair. Camera 1 is the rear camera, Camera 2

    is the front camera.

  • Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

Amazon Oliver Outfitters Guide:  https://amzn.to/2mAAgPO

ALAZCAFLGAIDILINKSKYLAMIMNMSMOMTNENMNCOR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Moderators

@Landrover, I  was reminded of your camera install by a recent thread. How has it worked out for you? Do you leave it installed, or remove it from the velcro mount before getting underway?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

@Landrover, I  was reminded of your camera install by a recent thread. How has it worked out for you? Do you leave it installed, or remove it from the velcro mount before getting underway?

The camera system has been working great the industrial Velcro maybe over kill I have to use a plastic wedge to get the Velcro to separate a little then it separates easy. Last trip was to Jacksonville for Foy’s get together.  No problems staying put on the road. The trailer is parked inside. Almost 3 months battery down to half charge. Simple usb charge to full within an hour. Still not sure if the solar on it charges the battery being inside most of the time.  I’d replace it with another if it fails. When or if they stop making them.  Every thing goes back to normal no holes to fix. 👍🏼👍🏼

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I received the Whistler WBU-800 yesterday. It seems to be working well. Still need to attach the camera where Landrover attached his, but I DID purchases it for much less-- $38.19--on ebay. Figured at that price I could take the chance. The only drawback I see now is that the monitor needs to be plugged into one of my Ollie's automobile auxiliary power outlets. I would like to be able to mount the monitor near the door, but it looks like my options will be limited to near where Landrover shows he has mounted his or on or near the dinette table. 

  • Like 1

Onward through the Fog!


EarthPicks of Cochise County


AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Spike said:

I received the Whistler WBU-800 yesterday. It seems to be working well. Still need to attach the camera where Landrover attached his, but I DID purchases it for much less-- $38.19--on ebay. Figured at that price I could take the chance. The only drawback I see now is that the monitor needs to be plugged into one of my Ollie's automobile auxiliary power outlets. I would like to be able to mount the monitor near the door, but it looks like my options will be limited to near where Landrover shows he has mounted his or on or near the dinette table. 

  I have my monitor mounted away from the door.  Part of long ago training you don’t want to be standing in a doorway if the bad guys are on the other side of the door. You want to be away from the doorway, there are more advantages this way. No I’m not paranoid  safety first 🤪🥸

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Landrover said:

Wow great price. Send the link from eBay I’ll buy another one. 

Looked for it, but couldn't find the same deal. Perhaps it was a unique offer. You should find some better prices than at Walmart by Googling the product name an ebay. I found this one with free shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294769160738?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110018%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.COMPLISTINGS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818141841%26meid%3D57f99accd4ae422f95ee9bbb0622968f%26pid%3D101111%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D194789229617%26itm%3D294769160738%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2563228%26algv%3DThematicAlgo%26brand%3DWhistler&_trksid=p2563228.c101111.m2109&amdata=cksum%3A29476916073857f99accd4ae422f95ee9bbb0622968f|enc%3AAQAGAAAB8GZDTETOCfMqa6dzTjv6DKdLphDOsKxYbqvvZVtkhPOsNOEG8jon0%2F23nQGKxJ5xbV%2FgEUwuWC5erCt%2FcCuWDuUSiDxP8CF2je%2FthC2zJ5MUkf3VxYsQyp7MsaXvivyGR0H%2Fb5SvjHbo9EX%2Fm%2FsEk6Pil4YJ5GTRBXpxecoofzyre6o8k4sLTQdIMG8c03Ms4lv3pQk2MbjtoVa2hTjVIuIfWefROGcdQ5qS2O7bKeef0htAkwm6TVoiG5JT%2FzZak8yb%2F7b6JEazxxXj%2F3n7bU5cRXjBTkA1%2FhEDWysbBRjqBthbo8UgWBrvJVVDdr5Qut0TmuzVhFTxc1em%2BvPvrP3FDuZdvRk1T8HRmL%2FtjTov%2FV3HWJVdKrQ%2B2U22uA0wcByesbWEu5n7jWD%2BQuY4AXMQvLQNGcLBzr3JEEauLWQOQO%2FEhvYuWEL9JmjxyfIt4ghykn4vuM0HaX9i7MEwkI1dpFmKeIMQFC5iiKW8P5Hg51DdD5m4%2FDoDp%2FIDMn1%2BuCYzdubOM62fIf%2BjVPTb7PBfrGPgEffhzExt9SpYvPupg1aIVzJMzNgkPNFypi%2BSCF%2BAkvshAuYiHkBRIvBSkTHcJsFwIIALgj4NPK9rVPCn5rAyNjX9gfX4%2Fj0a3HDVxzb94kZNNTLUOIMBPCgSdXI%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2563228&epid=26037447570

Onward through the Fog!


EarthPicks of Cochise County


AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Landrover said:

I have my monitor mounted away from the door.  Part of long ago training you don’t want to be standing in a doorway if the bad guys are on the other side of the door. You want to be away from the doorway,

I understand this. Thanks. I DO have a question for you though: Do you think the adhesive on the back of the Scotch product you used to attach the camera above the entrance will harm the gel coating if and when the product is removed? I tried to find the product you displayed on Amazon. I found this, which looks similar but not exact, and I wonder if I will be damaging the gel coating with it:

 https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brand-RF6731-051131642546-California/dp/B001LTTNOI/ref=pd_ybh_a_1/142-3314510-9135725?pd_rd_w=RFqFE&pf_rd_p=45643f1d-9a87-41c0-924d-e7e382d48035&pf_rd_r=3BQVYSE5Q60P7BZSXA11&pd_rd_r=6f36f76d-1c98-4f88-9d0b-5a167fb8e43c&pd_rd_wg=ny85z&pd_rd_i=B001LTTNOI&th=1

What do you think?

Onward through the Fog!


EarthPicks of Cochise County


AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Spike said:

I understand this. Thanks. I DO have a question for you though: Do you think the adhesive on the back of the Scotch product you used to attach the camera above the entrance will harm the gel coating if and when the product is removed? I tried to find the product you displayed on Amazon. I found this, which looks similar but not exact, and I wonder if I will be damaging the gel coating with it:

 https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brand-RF6731-051131642546-California/dp/B001LTTNOI/ref=pd_ybh_a_1/142-3314510-9135725?pd_rd_w=RFqFE&pf_rd_p=45643f1d-9a87-41c0-924d-e7e382d48035&pf_rd_r=3BQVYSE5Q60P7BZSXA11&pd_rd_r=6f36f76d-1c98-4f88-9d0b-5a167fb8e43c&pd_rd_wg=ny85z&pd_rd_i=B001LTTNOI&th=1

What do you think?

Spike  I really can’t  answer that question I don’t know.  Maybe a call to Oliver can help. I’m sure if its left on for months/years maybe time will tell.  The Velcro I have is clear not that noticeable. A full strip of this Velcro is over kill. i plan on removing the strip off the Ollie and just attaching two small squares which should be more than enough to hold.  It’s only been a few months I don’t expect any damage to the gel coat .

  • Thanks 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Landrover, did you remove the metal frame and flat mount it to the velcro or just metal frame to velcro? 

I'm leaning toward removing the frame, but thought I'd check.

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Landrover, did you remove the metal frame and flat mount it to the velcro or just metal frame to velcro? 

I'm leaning toward removing the frame, but thought I'd check.

Remove the frame.

  • Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...