Jump to content

Victron Multiplus II 3000 - Installation Xantrax Removal


Ty J

Recommended Posts

Replacing xantrax on my Oliver Elite II 2021.

Can't beat power assist on Victron components (Uses battery to meet power requirements when specificed amount of current is set)

I have had Victron Multiplus in my old camper and I am crying for the first time , I hate drilling into this beautiful Elite but can't get wires from upper cabinet to lower components without drilling. 

Going to install Victron MPPT - 100 /30 for outside solar panels 400 watts of ground deployed solar panels 

Victron Orion 12 volt to 12 Volt charger for vehicle charging and for a Pecron 500 amp hour battery I have under the bed. 

Victron Smartshunt for monitoring batteries

Victron Cerbo GX for the brains of the operation all components plug into and are monitored by this device.

Victron small touch screen

Built wood support for Multiplus much heavier than xantrax probably double. (I did not lift or look at weights but had a friend put in place) (6 back surgeries lifting days are over)

Here are some pictures 

Had one heck of time getting hole centered perfect to drill. Went as far as I could in corner of cabinet . . . .  . .Little scary but turned out ok. 

Going to work on Battery box holes at same time and maybe add ventilation for batteries at same time. 

Thanks to everyone for posting information on ventilation 

Take care Montana Oliver

PXL_20230426_222011589.jpg

PXL_20230425_225703993.jpg

PXL_20230425_225718672.jpg

PXL_20230426_210202605.jpg

PXL_20230426_212706403.jpg

PXL_20230426_212713846.jpg

PXL_20230425_225731975.jpg

PXL_20230425_225738142.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent job! Looks great! I would love to have that in our Oliver! 

  • Like 4

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have concerns about cooling. That compartment is dead end and gets very hot in summer. How will you deal with that? Your unit is horizontal, which isn’t desirable, and it doesn’t appear to have the required 4” clearances all around it. Do you plan to add vents and a blower or fan?

Can you easily remove the black service cover for service or adjustments “in situ”, without taking the unit out?

Are you a “qualified electrical engineer” and do you think your warranty will be good? What does your warranty booklet say about this?

I would greatly appreciate some closeups of the wiring.

02394DFD-31CB-44C2-A041-18EF900D8231.thumb.jpeg.2a3c377c7a32e45bee7aadde495e2c96.jpeg

 

Here is a full article on installation.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2020/10/30/how-to-install-a-multiplus-inverter-charger/

Victron MultiPlus II intro video

I love some Victron components, others drive me completely nuts. Their batteries for example, have no onboard  Battery Management System, and they  cannot function without the full suite of their proprietary controls and chargers, and they have to ship by a trucking company as hazmat freight…. $$$$$. (Battle Borns ship by FedEx.)

Thanks

John Davies

Spokane WA

 

 

 

B603C08C-B6EB-413C-B7C5-9F6F7A44F761.png

86A298EB-D0F6-4A71-B02C-C9EC44161158.png

253EDCE8-0688-46F6-87D2-4523C489C087.png

1899BD69-F699-4B7B-8575-B0018328EC4A.png

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ty J said:

Pecron 500 amp hour battery I have under the bed. 

Can you please start a new thread about that? Is it a portable power station?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your concerns John,

No I do not have a electrical certification but have a electrical background, and I am working with a good friend who is a electrician. 

There is proper clearance on front and back , but time will tell with the heat , I have Govee thermostats that will monitor the space and alert me if its over 95 degrees.

Your right we may have to put more ventilation and fans to blow out into garage as necessary. I would like to find room for a small mini split that I installed in my last trailer

It was a 12 volt mini split. It was not efficient enough, It was a experiment and I would go with a 120 volt next time. It kept campers one room comfortable 75 degrees below 92 degrees outside. I am looking at upgrading the a/c this winter, have been looking for the best route to go with a heat pump.

Yes heat could be a issue. time will tell. 

That is not a recommended mounting (have looked at many other forums they mounted horizontal with no issues) I did mount my other unit that way and the fan ran full blast when charging the batteries, but never overheated in higher temps.

I could program the victron to charge at a slower rate and it was not a issue. I will definately keep eye on temps. 4 years of running my old unit never had a issue in same 

enclosed space, this unit is only charging 4 batteries and the other unit I had was charging six battleborns. I could run my ac approximately 6.5 hours stopping and starting every 7 to 10 minutes in 100 degree temps.

The cover on the bottom and top can be removed for service also. 

I agree with you on there batteries, thats why I went with battleborn. I trust the BMS in the system. There are smaller, more compact manageable Lithium Lifepo4 batteries out there Lion energy and even batteries that are half the price out there. The BMS is the proof in the pudding , I put my full trust in there technology of BattleBorn . I have 3 x friends with the same Victron system and love it. 

Warranty is not a concern. I am not retired quite yet another 5 years , we camp from 30 to 45 days a year and that is pushing my time off already.

Before I know it the system will be out of warranty. Yes safety should be my primary concern , mounting it that was is unfortunately only option in a oliver, cannot find another proper location that is high enough.

This is a learning process , I am learning the oliver Elite II ins and outs and appreciate all of you for posts.

Thanks for all your input. Time will tell. 

Here is a picture of my older first try system. Yes its messy. Definetely could open a can of worms here!Yikes.jpg.535e92fa16fa10bd2559ed1f070ac2b0.jpg

 

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Wanted to see if you had any additional feedback on your Victron Multiplus.  I recently had to extract my 4 POS Briteway AGM batteries (was very unhappy with the switch from the Trojans listed in the brochure) as they had swollen up like a dead dear on the side of the road.  Came to the dark side recently with the purchase of 3 BB lithiums.  Now planning the install and possible upgrades to the electrical system.

We have not done much boondocking, but plan to do a bit more in the future, especially if the trailer is better equipped to handle it. 

I really like the capabilities of the Multiplus, but besides the investment, there is some risk of putting all your DC "eggs" in the one component "basket". 

Feedback from your experience with it?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Wanted to see if you had any additional feedback on your Victron Multiplus.  I recently had to extract my 4 POS Briteway AGM batteries (was very unhappy with the switch from the Trojans listed in the brochure) as they had swollen up like a dead dear on the side of the road.  Came to the dark side recently with the purchase of 3 BB lithiums.  Now planning the install and possible upgrades to the electrical system.

We have not done much boondocking, but plan to do a bit more in the future, especially if the trailer is better equipped to handle it. 

I really like the capabilities of the Multiplus, but besides the investment, there is some risk of putting all your DC "eggs" in the one component "basket". 

Feedback from your experience with it?

How long did your Briteways last?  We have them in our 2022.  So far, so good.  We have the Zamp solar controller.  We'll be switching to lithiums when we have to.

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2023 at 8:46 PM, Ty J said:

Yes heat could be a issue. time will tell. 

What was the reason for the inverter/charger swap, the Xantrex not working properly, more power (2000 vs 3000W) or better quality unit? I’m currently at issue (charging function) with my Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 and looking to replace/upgrade to a 3000 to better serve recently installed LFPs. Also interested to know if you experienced any ventilation issues regarding heat in the summer months or if you addressed that concern prior to any potential problems. 

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, johnwen said:

How long did your Briteways last?  We have them in our 2022.  So far, so good.  We have the Zamp solar controller.  We'll be switching to lithiums when we have to.

John

Less than 3 years.  Not impressed and clearly, Oliver has discontinued buying them.  Not at all surprised.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

What was the reason for the inverter/charger swap

The main reason I would swap out my  Xantrex 3000 to the Victron Multiplus 3000 is Power Assist. 

https://youtu.be/6lS6IAoxd28?si=18tX8-MGUNBMT4Z2

But for now I’m happy with the Xantrex! 😊

  • Like 7

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

@Ty J hasn't been on the forum for a week or so. I'm tagging him here. If he has notifications turned on, he'll hopefully see these questions. 

  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.


        
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/12/2023 at 8:32 AM, katanapilot said:

Wanted to see if you had any additional feedback on your Victron Multiplus.  I recently had to extract my 4 POS Briteway AGM batteries (was very unhappy with the switch from the Trojans listed in the brochure) as they had swollen up like a dead dear on the side of the road.  Came to the dark side recently with the purchase of 3 BB lithiums.  Now planning the install and possible upgrades to the electrical system.

We have not done much boondocking, but plan to do a bit more in the future, especially if the trailer is better equipped to handle it. 

I really like the capabilities of the Multiplus, but besides the investment, there is some risk of putting all your DC "eggs" in the one component "basket". 

Feedback from your experience with it?

I have the Victron Muliplus installed in the Navion 24V  and associated equipment with three 100 Ah Battle Born batteries.  The system has functioned flawlessly.  It was professionally installed.

 

 

 

v

IMG_0870.JPG

  • Like 3

Legacy Elite II   Hull 218  TV  2023 Ford F-150 Lariat   2x4   5.0L Max Tow Pkg   Ham W8CB    South Central Michigan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

@gbergh, thanks for the photo and input.

Looks like you went total Victron in your Navion. Do you still have the Navion? How long have you had the Victron Multiplus? (I see it's not the multiplus II, so probably at least a year or two?)

I can see from your profile photo, you're a sailor , too, (as are we) so I  am only guessing that's why you selected Victron. (Boating community has been familiar with Victron for many decades. Not so much in the RV community. )

How has the multiplus helped you, vs oem equipment in your Navion? 

I  know.  I ask a bunch of questions.  Sorry. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.


        
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, gbergh said:

I have the Victron Muliplus installed in the Navion 24V  and associated equipment with three 100 Ah Battle Born batteries.  The system has functioned flawlessly.  It was professionally installed.

 

Very nice installation.  I wish we had that kind of room in the Oliver so the Multiplus could be installed vertically.  I saw that one was installed horizontally in an Oliver and it's why I asked for feedback on his experience with it.  Sure like the interoperability of the Victron components and I know they have a great reputation.  Trying to decide if it's worth taking this installation on and spending the retirement dollars.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@SeaDawg, I still have the Navion 24V.  I chose the Multiplus  over the Multiplus II.  The Multiplus was a couple of hundred dollars less money.  The Multiplus II is capable of handling Grid applications or functions.  I saw no merit to the Grid capabilities.  Victron sells either the MultiPlus or the MultiPlusII  in various VA.  The Victron solution has worked flawlessly for several years.  I also employed the Victron and Battleborn system in my sailboat.  Albeit,  the sailbot was for racing and has a spartan interior, ie no Hot water, HVAC or Solar.   I was concerned with powering running lights, autopilot and instruments.  The battleborn afforded all the power I ever required as long as I monitored the battery temperature  and kept it about 80 degrees F or less.  I delivered sailboats to the Caribbean, Fllorida and two trips to England after I retired in 2000.  The vast majority had a Victron system.  As John Davies pointed out proper installation, temperatures and SOC,  the Victron System is almost Bullet Proof.  

Respectfully, George Bergh 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Legacy Elite II   Hull 218  TV  2023 Ford F-150 Lariat   2x4   5.0L Max Tow Pkg   Ham W8CB    South Central Michigan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Very nice installation.  I wish we had that kind of room in the Oliver so the Multiplus could be installed vertically.  I saw that one was installed horizontally in an Oliver and it's why I asked for feedback on his experience with it.  Sure like the interoperability of the Victron components and I know they have a great reputation.  Trying to decide if it's worth taking this installation on and spending the retirement dollars.

Katanpilot,  I do not possess the skill set nor the mindset to install the equipment properly..  If one has the skill and good mindset the cost to install is greatly reduced.  The greatest cost of the project was installation cost.  Take a look at the Victron Forum and there are many who will provide great ideas to a successful installation.  I have also seen used gear for sale a few years young..  One who want to upgrade from a 12v to a 24v system etc.   I believe strongly the Victron solution is the right solution.

Does the Katanpilot refer the the DA20?   I have had the delightful joy of left seat in that ship.  Diamond makes some great airplanes..

Very Respectfully, George

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Legacy Elite II   Hull 218  TV  2023 Ford F-150 Lariat   2x4   5.0L Max Tow Pkg   Ham W8CB    South Central Michigan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

@gbergh, we had a close friend for dinner tonight, who designs Victron systems for sailboats. He, too, uses the multiplus, vs multiplus II. 

I asked him about the mounting positions. He always mounts normal , (letters up) , though victron technically allows sideways mount,  on a bulkhead, for proper heat circulation. Even so, he adds muffin fans to exhaust heat, to a larger space, if enclosed. Victron has an overheat cutoff, but who wants that to happen, right?

In our little 2008, I have no idea where we could mount a multiplus. It's simply too big. But then, we don't have an inverter, anyway. And, got rid of the 1000 watt inverter we had, as we didn't use it.

When we refit our boat for solar some years back,  our xantrex was only a year or two old, so, we kept it . (We rarely use the inverter,  anyway.) Down the line, when necessary,  it will likely be replaced with a multiplus, as many other components are victron. We can find ventilated room for it, somewhere.

Thanks for your insight and comments. 

  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.


        
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

@gbergh, we had a close friend for dinner tonight, who designs Victron systems for sailboats. He, too, uses the multiplus, vs multiplus II. 

I asked him about the mounting positions. He always mounts normal , (letters up) , though victron technically allows sideways mount,  on a bulkhead, for proper heat circulation. Even so, he adds muffin fans to exhaust heat, to a larger space, if enclosed. Victron has an overheat cutoff, but who wants that to happen, right?

In our little 2008, I have no idea where we could mount a multiplus. It's simply too big. But then, we don't have an inverter, anyway. And, got rid of the 1000 watt inverter we had, as we didn't use it.

When we refit our boat for solar some years back,  our xantrex was only a year or two old, so, we kept it . (We rarely use the inverter,  anyway.) Down the line, when necessary,  it will likely be replaced with a multiplus, as many other componentsare victron. We can find ventilated room for it, somewhere.

Thanks for your insight and comments. 

 

4 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

@gbergh, we had a close friend for dinner tonight, who designs Victron systems for sailboats. He, too, uses the multiplus, vs multiplus II. 

I asked him about the mounting positions. He always mounts normal , (letters up) , though victron technically allows sideways mount,  on a bulkhead, for proper heat circulation. Even so, he adds muffin fans to exhaust heat, to a larger space, if enclosed. Victron has an overheat cutoff, but who wants that to happen, right?

In our little 2008, I have no idea where we could mount a multiplus. It's simply too big. But then, we don't have an inverter, anyway. And, got rid of the 1000 watt inverter we had, as we didn't use it.

When we refit our boat for solar some years back,  our xantrex was only a year or two old, so, we kept it . (We rarely use the inverter,  anyway.) Down the line, when necessary,  it will likely be replaced with a multiplus, as many other componentsare victron. We can find ventilated room for it, somewhere.

Thanks for your insight and comments. 

I delivered an 85 foot sail boat from St Lucia to Newport, RI. The MultiPlus and the batteries were becoming  rather hot, 90 degrees F.  Blue Hull with full sun.  I stopped in Martinique and procured a three inch flexible hose.  I ren it from the bilge to the Multiplus  compartment which also housed the Battle Borne batteries.   I removed a muffin fan from an unimportant function and drew air from  the bilge  to cool the batteries etc.  This worked like a charm.  After clearing Bermuda the jury rigged cooling system was no longer needed.

george

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Legacy Elite II   Hull 218  TV  2023 Ford F-150 Lariat   2x4   5.0L Max Tow Pkg   Ham W8CB    South Central Michigan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Isn't St. Lucia beautiful? 

We need to get back to the Carribean. 

I'd love to meet up with you, and talk about sailing adventures,  someday.

There are quite a number of sail boat owners, and power boat owners, on this forum. For a number of reasons.

The integrity and longevity of the fiberglass hulls is one of the reasons we chose an Oliver. Our fiberglass  sailboat is over 45 years old. Power boat is closing on 25. Ollie is 16 seasons in.

Living the 12v life is great.

PS jealous of your trips to England, across the great pond. Don't know if we'll get the chance to do that. Happy for you that you did!

 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.


        
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/12/2023 at 7:32 AM, katanapilot said:

Came to the dark side recently with the purchase of 3 BB lithiums.  Now planning the install and possible upgrades to the electrical system.

 

Darth Maul approves.

the phantom menace GIF by Star Wars

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Isn't St. Lucia beautiful? 

Not meaning to highjack the thread, but, YES!  In fact, we're headed to St. Maarten in early FEB.

  • Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

  • 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Isn't St. Lucia beautiful? 

We need to get back to the Carribean. 

I'd love to meet up with you, and talk about sailing adventures,  someday.

There are quite a number of sail boat owners, and power boat owners, on this forum. For a number of reasons.

The integrity and longevity of the fiberglass hulls is one of the reasons we chose an Oliver. Our fiberglass  sailboat is over 45 years old. Power boat is closing on 25. Ollie is 16 seasons in.

Living the 12v life is great.

PS jealous of your trips to England, across the great pond. Don't know if we'll get the chance to do that. Happy for you that you did!

 

Yes, especially as you approach and view the Pitons and Rodney Bay.  The  Rain forest and the l Toraille waterfall is a beautiful sight.  What make and design is your Sailboat.  Shortly after My 75th birthday,  I had balance issues and could no longer sail.  When I engage in a chit chat about sailing, I miss it very much.  Bicycling and Ollie have done a great job of diverting my attention.  Surly, we are going to be reprimanded for venturing OFF Topic. 

Legacy Elite II   Hull 218  TV  2023 Ford F-150 Lariat   2x4   5.0L Max Tow Pkg   Ham W8CB    South Central Michigan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

We can take that sailing conversation to private message.  😀

  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.


        
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, gbergh said:

Katanpilot,  I do not possess the skill set nor the mindset to install the equipment properly..  If one has the skill and good mindset the cost to install is greatly reduced.  The greatest cost of the project was installation cost.  Take a look at the Victron Forum and there are many who will provide great ideas to a successful installation.  I have also seen used gear for sale a few years young..  One who want to upgrade from a 12v to a 24v system etc.   I believe strongly the Victron solution is the right solution.

Does the Katanpilot refer the the DA20?   I have had the delightful joy of left seat in that ship.  Diamond makes some great airplanes..

Very Respectfully, George

Thanks George.  (Sorry all - very off topic).  Yes, we owned a Diamond DA20-A1 for many years.  Both my kids learned to fly in it.  We donated it to a high school in Florida a couple of years ago for their aviation program.  If you want to see more -  https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/class-in-nassau-county-teaching-students-how-to-take-flight/77-0316acb0-19c4-4531-ac3e-053b6511973f

As to the skills to install the system, I hope I do.  Mostly it's taking the time and working in cramped spaces.  I am heading in this direction, as I like the capabilities and reliability of Victron components.  Thanks for the additional information.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...