has anyone tried the new Dometic fresh jet 2200?

Roadlotus

• Moderators
13 hours ago, jd1923 said:

The original Dometic failed, condenser fan dislodged and stuck in the casing. Buy another Dometic? I hope y'all find a better alternative.

Our 2008 model Dometic was still (noisily) working when we replaced it, but shroud was more eternabond tape than plastic, by that point.  A replacement shroud, with shipping, was about  a third of the price of a little Houghton , at that time, so we just figured it was time, rather than retrofit an old unit.  

I think my neighbors appreciate the Houghton as much as we do. It's so very quiet, but we typically only run it in our driveway. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Hi everyone,
I just got the fresh jet installed at an RV place. Total cost was $1600. It is indeed very quiet and uses the existing ADC and thermostat and they are going to sell the old penguin for me. They take 10% which is totally reasonable and means I don’t have to haul it back home.

It was 108 here and I’ve been outside all afternoon so I won’t do a decibel check just yet but I will at some point.

But it works fine and it is indeed very quiet.

• Thanks 8
  • Like 3

2022 EII owner, Hull 1284, Tow Vehicle: 2021 Nissan Titan XD. 2022 lithium pro package which is 630 amp hours and 340 watt panels with a 3000 w inverter.

Happy to report that I have installed the Dometic FreshJet air conditioner on my Oliver this week.

The install was fairly easy only taking a couple hours for two of us to complete. I rigged up a 3 to 1 pulley system in my workshop to lift up and remove the old noisey Penguin model. The new FreshJet is significantly lighter than the old unit, and a friend and I were able to stand on some scaffolding and lift it up and onto the Oliver. The wiring connections were easy to complete using the existing thermostat control box.

I purchased the FreshJet 3 Series from RV Parts Country;  $896.00 plus $124.00 shipping.

So far my wife and I are happy with the performance of the FreshJet, it quickly brought down the indoor temperature and humidity on a hot Tennessee summer day. Best of all is the difference in the sound levels between the old and new units (69db versus 52db).

Many thanks to @RoadLotus for researching the FreshJet and making everyone aware of this quiet AC option for the Oliver.

IMG_1653.jpeg

image000000.jpg

• Thanks 4
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Alan & Judy

Strawberry Plains, TN

2021 Oliver Elite II 

2023 F250 STX 6.8L Gas

• Moderators

@rangered, that's an amazing difference in the sound level.

Well look forward to your reports as you get to use it, camping. 

Thanks for the photos and post.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

@rangeredso glad to hear it went well! I am enjoying mine, too. I did trip a breaker when I tried to use regular household current. I have an electrician who lives nearby and he set me up with a 30 amp outlet using an old air conditioner outlet that was already outside. We tested the incoming amperage and the maximum that was coming through was just under 20 A. 

2022 EII owner, Hull 1284, Tow Vehicle: 2021 Nissan Titan XD. 2022 lithium pro package which is 630 amp hours and 340 watt panels with a 3000 w inverter.

@rangered:  Awesome report Alan!  Thanks for sharing it with great pix, too.  

How much do you think you might get for the Penguin II?  Just curious...

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

RoadLotus: I have my Oliver connected to a 20 amp circuit in the bay of my workshop. According to the Progressive Industries monitor the AC is drawing between 12 and 15 amps, that is without any other loads on the system (and with the inverter battery charger function turned off). So far the AC unit has been on for about a day and a half without any issues.

IMG_1660.jpeg

• Like 3

Alan & Judy

Strawberry Plains, TN

2021 Oliver Elite II 

2023 F250 STX 6.8L Gas

11 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

@rangered:  Awesome report Alan!  Thanks for sharing it with great pix, too.  

How much do you think you might get for the Penguin II?  Just curious...

I will jump in here.
I sold my 3 yr old Demonic Penguin aka “noise banger” for 600.00. It’s new home is on top of a food truck somewhere in NC. I did not shed a tear when the buyer drove off with it. This last trip we took the Truma Aventa performed outstanding. With the built in dehumidifier it lowers humidity really fast in our Ollie. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

To those who have had a Freshjet installed did you use the drain system and the thermostat that came with the

STD ac on the Elite2?  Also what ceiling face plate did you have installed the old one or a new one offered for the Freshjet? 

any pictures you could post would appreciated.

Thanks Much

Jim

note: I thought I had submitted this days ago, but evidently it did not go through.

Hi Jim,
You would use the existing air distribution face plate and thermostat that you already have. And yes, it runs through the same condensation lines. The only thing you are changing is the top unit.

I also discovered yesterday that I can run the AC with my lithium batteries. A couple of hours dropped it about 20%. So it’s not long-term but it was very helpful.

Sincerely,

Mary aka RoadLotus

IMG_2460.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Roadlotus said:

I also discovered yesterday that I can run the AC with my lithium batteries. A couple of hours dropped it about 20%. So it’s not long-term but it was very helpful.

Mary, I’m interested in knowing the total size of your lithium battery setup in Ah. Trying to equate the actual usage over the stated run time. Thanks

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

hi Ron,

I have the lithium pro package which is 630 amp hours and 340 watt panels with a 3000 w inverter.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Thanks Mary! I take it you never attempted to run the original Dometic a/c on lithium. I just upgraded to 460Ah/no solar, in my 2020 OLEll 579 with hopes of running the stock 11,000 btu Penguin ll for a couple of hours during rest stops and lunch breaks on the lithiums. Still have to do some rewiring to make it happen based on input from others that have done the same. My next project will be to upgrade the a/c to a quieter unit; I find the information you provided and resulting discussion about the Freshjet very inspirational. Again, thanks!

• Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

Hi Ron,

you are correct. I could not get past the noise:) I am glad any info I share is helpful!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Nice and quiet!  You could actually hear your voice very well over the db's of the unit - impressive!  Thanks for sharing this video...

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Roadlotus said:

I just did a db reading from my Freshjet and it was 62 average right under the unit running it on solar. I alsi did a video for reference.

IMG_2501.mov

That is so awesome! Thank you for sharing the video. Really nice to hear your pretty voice clearly, with the ac running.

How long were you able to run it on solar? Which battery pack do you have?

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

@SeaDawg 

I am glad the video was helpful. My info is below and I will add that to my signature. I was just running it to share the sound level with someone else who asked. But I did run the AC for a couple hours when I was traveling last month and it dropped the battery about 20%.

I have the lithium pro package which is 630 amp hours and 340 watt panels with a 3000 w inverter.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

• Moderator+
On 8/17/2023 at 9:12 AM, Ronbrink said:

Thanks Mary! I take it you never attempted to run the original Dometic a/c on lithium. I just upgraded to 460Ah/no solar, in my 2020 OLEll 579 with hopes of running the stock 11,000 btu Penguin ll for a couple of hours during rest stops and lunch breaks on the lithiums. Still have to do some rewiring to make it happen based on input from others that have done the same. My next project will be to upgrade the a/c to a quieter unit; I find the information you provided and resulting discussion about the Freshjet very inspirational. Again, thanks!

One potential issue I see here is bringing the batteries back up after a 2 hour, A/C lunch break. You have no solar and lithium’s won’t charge from the vehicle while going down the road. Your post sounds like you do not boondock. Why no solar with such a large lithium bank? Do you have a plan?

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

15 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

One potential issue I see here is bringing the batteries back up after a 2 hour, A/C lunch break. You have no solar and lithium’s won’t charge from the vehicle while going down the road. Your post sounds like you do not boondock. Why no solar with such a large lithium bank? Do you have a plan?

I have a Renogy 20amp DC/DC charger installed in the Oliver under the rear dinette seat, near the battery bank. It was reconfigured for lithium following the battery swap, as well as the Xantrex 2000. The extent of my boondocking is mostly overnight stays while traveling, destinations generally CGs with hookups. In the event the battery bank becomes too depleted and insufficiently charged, I carry generators. In the past, the smaller generator was run from the tailgate for a/c, as necessary. As a contingency, I currently have a 200w solar array atop my TV for purpose of charging a 100ah lithium portable power station to run a Dometic CFX 75DZ cooler staged under cap in the truck bed. My intent is now to use that solar to supplement the Oliver’s house batteries if need be, whether driving are stationary. Given this information, please advise if you have any recommendations to help strengthen my ‘plan’, much appreciated!

• Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

On 7/28/2023 at 5:00 PM, rangered said:

Happy to report that I have installed the Dometic FreshJet air conditioner on my Oliver this week.

The install was fairly easy only taking a couple hours for two of us to complete. I rigged up a 3 to 1 pulley system in my workshop to lift up and remove the old noisey Penguin model. The new FreshJet is significantly lighter than the old unit, and a friend and I were able to stand on some scaffolding and lift it up and onto the Oliver. The wiring connections were easy to complete using the existing thermostat control box.

I purchased the FreshJet 3 Series from RV Parts Country;  $896.00 plus $124.00 shipping.

So far my wife and I are happy with the performance of the FreshJet, it quickly brought down the indoor temperature and humidity on a hot Tennessee summer day. Best of all is the difference in the sound levels between the old and new units (69db versus 52db).

Many thanks to @RoadLotus for researching the FreshJet and making everyone aware of this quiet AC option for the Oliver.

IMG_1653.jpeg

image000000.jpg

I got a couple of questions when installing the new Dometic Freshjet AC.

1. Did you have to modify the fiberglass opening and how was the new AC sealed so there was no leaks?

2. How was the condenate line reconnected? Do you have to disconnect the old condensate line from the old AC and reconnect the condensate line to the new AC?

3.  Was the temperstate control box inside the old AC unit? Did you have to relocated it? 

Thanks

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

@dewdev,

I had mine installed by an RV shop. According to them, no modification was needed on the entry hole and the condensation lines are the same. I did not relocate anything as far as the temperature box. I am using the existing dometic thermostat.

@rangered did his own installation and can provide more details on that. He also got a lower db reading than me. I was using my phone to measure, and it looks like he has an actual db meter. 

I hope that’s helpful 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

@dewdev

I decided to not connect the two external condensate lines from the AC to the internal (Oliver) drain line. I did not want to compromise the weather seal between the new FreshJet AC and the roof of the Oliver.

To connect the two condensate lines to the internal line it appears you would need an extra roof gasket. The two condensate lines run (sandwiched) between two roof gaskets.

For the time being, I have capped off the internal drain line that leads between the hulls. I may change my mind and reconnect the lines at a later date.

I was able to use the existing thermostat control box from the old unit.

Note: You may not be able to use your existing inner ceiling cover from the old Penguin AC, the four main mounting bolt holes on the FreshJet are spaced further apart.

I replaced my ceiling cover a couple years ago with one that was more flush with the ceiling, thus allowing me to have more head room in the Oliver, being 6’5” tall I needed the extra space. It is a more universal fitting and I was able to use this replacement cover without any problem.

You may want to check with Mary (RoadLotus) on the type of cover she is using.

• Like 3

Alan & Judy

Strawberry Plains, TN

2021 Oliver Elite II 

2023 F250 STX 6.8L Gas

@dewdev and @rangered,

I am using the existing cover inside. So nothing was changed out except the rooftop unit. And my understanding was they did use two gaskets when installing. I know I am using the existing condensation lines because I can see it going out them.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2023 at 1:46 PM, Frank C said:

No heat strip in the new Dometic freshJet?  I didn’t see it mentioned in the features.  Our old Dometic has the electric heat strip which we use quite often for just getting the interior warmed up a bit on cold mornings when we are at a campground with shore power instead of burning propane to run the furnace.  

How do you set the thermostat for the heat strip? Love the idea for just warming things without burning propane. Thanks

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY