Camping Towels

topgun2

• Moderators

For years I've used dark colored towels that had seen better days for camping.  Obviously, the color was to hide any real dirt they might come into contact with and being a bit fraid around the edges or having a couple of small holes really didn't hurt the function or my fashion sense.

Unfortunately, even when camping in the relatively dry western mountains, these "normal" towels would tend to "sour" and during the occasional periods when it might rain for a few days in a row, they might never get dry.  In talking about this with Shallowgal it was recommended that I try towels like THESE.  I was warned that these towels would not be as soft and fluffy but that they would pack down to a very small size and would dry me and wouldn't "sour".

I don't know (and really don't care) if it was the pups or the humans - but - Shallowgal was right.  These towels are exactly as advertised.  The smallest of the three in the set linked above I use in the kitchen.  The middle size is about perfect for the Ollie bath while the largest size is good for the beach, campground bath houses or my shower tent.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Totally agree with you, @topgun2. We've had microfiber towels for travel for a couple decades. 

It takes a little getting used to the different texture, but an added bonus for those of us with long hair (and no hair dryer) is that they get your hair much drier than terrycloth towels, for faster air drying. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

We all have our tips and  tricks!  I started using Absorber Synthetic Chamois towels while motorcycle camping.  And I still use them when camping in the Ollie.  Then I finish with a small microfiber cloth.  I usually cut one in half and make two towels out of one.  Who cares if they dry out or not, they work better wet just like a real chamois.  And it’s harder to drag on the floor using a half of one.  Plus a half is easier for me to wring out.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, mossemi said:

I started using Absorber Synthetic Chamois towels while motorcycle camping.

Actually - me too.  However the towels that I referenced above are slightly different and even lighter than the "Absorber" jobs.

While I'm here I should add that it was Mike that actually found the towels that I have since the ones that Shallowgal recommended were no longer available.

So - thanks to both Mossemi and Shallowgal.  🥰

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

Micro fiber for the win! They dry fast on the back of our chairs, and are super absorbent.👍🏻 

IMG_9195.thumb.jpeg.f0cff1ce1b5195d5d55b5cfc0e480826.jpeg

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We use Turkish towels.

Same here! 👍🏻

• Like 3

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

We use both - depends on what we're doing...  We really like the Turkish towels for the OTT, wicked absorbent and dries quickly.  But for motorcycle trips, our packing volume is WAY limited so we opt-in for microfiber, great absorbency and quick-dry factors, but the biggest plus is no volume penalty paid:

image.thumb.png.fde58edbbf3ffc6bcc37665058975954.png

The "SEATOSUMMIT" towel is 28" x 42" - perfect for packing into the Eagle Creek Dopp kit... 

By the way, we spotted our first OTT on this, DAY-3 of our MC tour up the spine of the Rockies!  I'll post the particulars in the appropriate thread.

Greetings from Cortez, CO!

• Like 3

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Katjo said:

I use Turkish towels, they dry super fast and fold up nice and small. I’ve had mine for three years and still look like new. 

Great pic - looks like "ad" quality.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Near Asheville, NC