Sitting in my Oliver

HDRider

We picked our Oliver up in Hohenwald on August 9.  It was a dark and stormy night.  Actually both nights and the day was rainy.  That is my excuse for not posting pictures on the day we picked it up.  The real reason was simple anxiety about the overwhelming amount of info pointed at me during the trailer handoff.  Another reason is my wife is camera avoidant if she does not have ample prep time.  😉

Anyway, a friend installed a 30 amp outlet yesterday so now I can go hide in Ollie as I study the components.  It is hot here right now and having the AC on is a must.

I contracted for a simple cover due within a few weeks to shade the trailer. 

We really need to name the trailer and decide its gender.  I do feel like it is a "she".  We are noodling on a name.

I fixed the only flaw found so far.  The black tank pull wire was not properly placed in the plunger. 

The info given to me about the ball height (24") was wrong.  I had it at 24" but it was too high.  I flipped the hitch and it is about an inch too low (that is a six inch swing considering the hitch had a 3" drop).  It ain't bad now, but I think another inch up will be perfect.

I feel comfortable dumping the tanks now.  No fuss, no muss.  I know how to drain the fresh water tank now after looking everywhere for the valve.  The manual sent me on a wild goose chase.  It is always the last place you look.  😉

I understand the TV and the phone apps now, (Lithionics Battery, Victron & ProSMART).

image.png.a57d03f6c666112ab3a0702fa8b3ad70.pngimage.png.446c3e65ff35d76cb68efb8d7f698b9e.png

I am starting to research the Xantrex Freedom X panel.  That should be easy.  We did find a typo in table 2 on page 375 of the Optional Features manual.  It says the panel functions is described on page 52, when it is really on page 396.  I am sure this was because Oliver lifted the info from a Xantrex manual.  I am not sure why Oliver supplied all the installation info to me.  Maybe someone needs it, but I don't.  I just want to know how to use the stuff that Oliver installed. 

To be continued.  Let me know what I should study next based on your experience.

• Like 5

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, HDRider said:

Let me know what I should study next based on your experience.

I think the wiring from the solar panels to the battery is an opportunity.  Getting familiar with the cutoff points and the associated breakers and the wiring path is good information.  It’s not necessary to remember all of it, just get familiar with it.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

41 minutes ago, HDRider said:

The info given to me about the ball height (24") was wrong.  I had it at 24" but it was too high.  I flipped the hitch and it is about an inch too low (that is a six inch swing considering the hitch had a 3" drop).  It ain't bad now, but I think another inch up will be perfect.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Hitch_Ball-sf-Trailer_Hitch_Ball.aspx

If you are using a dead weight hitch, and you should be with a HD Duramax, you can use a long shank ball to fine tune the height if it is a little low. Add GRADE 8 (hardened) large area washers underneath as needed. There are also taller balls, that have a built in spacer on top.

Please add extra details to your tow vehicle signature. What model truck?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

“Life’s a dance you learn as you go”’ In other words…time to camp, you will learn hands on and each trip will get easier and more comfortable. Enjoy😃

• Like 7

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

Camping in the driveway, or camping in nearby campsites with decent cell reception,  when you have questions, counts, too, and way better than not camping at all.

Have fun. You'll get there. None of us were born with skills or knowledge.  

With your determination to learn, and some practice, you'll soon be sharing advice with others. (Former teacher here. Learning how to learn,  in your own best way,  is one of life's most important challenges and skills. )

My SIL says "eat that elephant one bite at a time." I recommend Sriracha (and white wine) to go with it...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

9 hours ago, HDRider said:

I am not sure why Oliver supplied all the installation info to me.  Maybe someone needs it, but I don't.

You might decide later that this info is really handy. I prize my Oliver manuals. I've read them and am still reading and digesting and like @SeaDawg says, camping provides the best opportunity for learning. Enjoy! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

• Moderators

Honestly,  you'll be fine. You actually "read the manuals," unlike many others. 

Major kudos to you. Add that to camping experience,  and you'll do fine.

Hope to meet you camping, someday.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

23 hours ago, HDRider said:

I am not sure why Oliver supplied all the installation info to me.  Maybe someone needs it, but I don't.  I just want to know how to use the stuff that Oliver installed. 

Do like what @Geronimo John does (which I will also do) and digitize those OTT manuals so you can read them from your iPhone, laptop, or pad...  That way, you can read them anytime - anywhere, not just sitting in your new Oliver...

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

3 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Do like what @Geronimo John does (which I will also do) and digitize those OTT manuals so you can read them from your iPhone, laptop, or pad...  That way, you can read them anytime - anywhere, not just sitting in your new Oliver...

They gave me a USB drive with soft copies. 

• Like 3

We are going to DeGray State park tomorrow.  The heat has relented so it is time to move around again.

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/degray-lake-resort-state-park

We are planning a trip to Maine this year.  What is the latest possible date you would advise we visit?

9228c343.jpg

• Like 1