Another Tundra Towing Question

NomadLife

September 5, 2023

Hello Rivernerd and or everyone else here!  By looking at Rivernerd's August of 2023 photos, I cannot tell if you/he owns a SR5 or TRD Tundra?  I am looking into purchasing a used 5.7 L Tundra (2019 and older) Double Cab and would like to hear Tundra owners responses if the SR5 or TRD is best for towing the Oliver Elite 2?  Thanks everyone!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderator+
11 minutes ago, NomadLife said:

September 5, 2023

Hello Rivernerd and or everyone else here!  By looking at Rivernerd's August of 2023 photos, I cannot tell if you/he owns a SR5 or TRD Tundra?  I am looking into purchasing a used 5.7 L Tundra (2019 and older) Double Cab and would like to hear Tundra owners responses if the SR5 or TRD is best for towing the Oliver Elite 2?  Thanks everyone!

SR5 is a trim level and TRD is an upgraded suspension package.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

4 minutes ago, NomadLife said:

By looking at Rivernerd's August of 2023 photos, I cannot tell if you/he owns a SR5 or TRD Tundra?

Ours is an SR5, without the TRD package.  TRD is not a different Tundra trim level (like Limited or Platinum), but is an add-on to SR5, Limited, etc. trim levels sold for off-roading.  The TRD add-ons include upgraded shocks, some extra skid plates and black wheels. 

I, too, will be interested to hear if some folks believe the TRD package makes it a better tow vehicle.

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

We towed our LE2 for a few years with a 2016 SR5 5.7 4X4 Double Cab Tundra.  

Because of rear end sag with around 480lbs of Ollie’s tongue weight, installed a pair of Firestone airbags and inflated to around 20PSI while towing Ollie. The Tundra had plenty of power and stability towing Ollie out west. Only problem with Ollie connected, it was easy to reach the TV gross weight. Airbags do not increase TV gross weight.

Here is a Motortrend article about towing a 7295 lb trailer that’s heavier than the LE2 gross weight with a 2016 TRD Pro Tundra.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1702-towing-with-a-2016-toyota-tundra-trd-pro/

• Like 1

2015 LE2

• 3 weeks later...

2017 TRD Double Cab, used Sumo Springs, which are easy to install. Loaded everything down and headed off on a 5000-mile trip with the Elite II in tow. Went from North Idaho to Middle Tennessee and back, including side trips. The Tundra did a great job at all posted speeds. I was selective of what I took along and did not officially weigh the rig but I felt I was nearing capacity. Moving forward, I will be looking into an HD pick-up, something like GMC 3500. I would like to take along more things I consider essential for long trips. Would like to add a canopy with a bed slide and not worry about being overloaded. But if I was just going to vacation once or twice a year and do some local camping the Tundra is more than adequate.

View recent photos.jpeg

• Like 3

Hull #1238 - Legacy Elite II, TB. TV 2017 Tundra TRD.

image.png.fd5454c21b295a590a02414d92eff4f0.png

I've towed my '17 LE2 about 12,000 miles in two years with my '20 Tundra TRD Sport and find it more than adequate.  I think the Anderson WDH is an absolute must with any half ton and I personally wouldn't leave home without it.   The issue I have with my TRD is that the extra bells and whistles reduce payload.  I pack light but if I were to tow in the mountains out west carrying more gear,  I no doubt would want a 3/4 ton pickup!

20210606_132828.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

We're in Crested Butte, Co this weekend and have had a wonderful fall-colors tour.  Our Tundra took us smoothly over Wolf Creek Pass (10,800') and Buffalo Pass on CO 114 (10,300') with no signs of struggling at all.  We travel fairly light -  used less than 1150lbs of our 1400lbs useful load.  Tongue weight right at 495lbs.  Fuel mileage for the 748-mile trek came in at 13.5mpg.

IMG_0180.thumb.jpeg.b48fc7e3152e4ec8fa7d637072f10dd9.jpeg

Casablanca at Buffalo Pass...  The Tundra is a good match for how we travel with our OTT, IMO.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

11 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

We're in Crested Butte, Co this weekend and have had a wonderful fall-colors tour.  Our Tundra took us smoothly over Wolf Creek Pass (10,800') and Buffalo Pass on CO 114 (10,300') with no signs of struggling at all.  We travel fairly light -  used less than 1150lbs of our 1400lbs useful load.  Tongue weight right at 495lbs.  Fuel mileage for the 748-mile trek came in at 13.5mpg.

IMG_0180.thumb.jpeg.b48fc7e3152e4ec8fa7d637072f10dd9.jpeg

Casablanca at Buffalo Pass...  The Tundra is a good match for how we travel with our OTT, IMO.

Cheers!

Wow!

We have not had our Tundra/Ollie rig that high before. How does the performance of your rig at higher elevations compare to lower elevations? Always assumed the twin turbos would perform well at high elevations..

2015 LE2

1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

Is that also known as "Cochetopa Pass" on CO 114? The area just west of there, at Cochetopa Dome, is one of my favorite places on earth.

I believe cochetopa is the Ute word for buffalo.

10 hours ago, Coelacanth said:

Is that also known as "Cochetopa Pass" on CO 114? The area just west of there, at Cochetopa Dome, is one of my favorite places on earth.

I believe cochetopa is the Ute word for buffalo.

That's exactly correct!  Just a bit south and west of Sergeant Mesa along the Continental Divide Trail where the "Soldier's Stone" is located.  We've been up there on our dual-sports and it's breath-taking; on many levels.  "SS" is a monument dedicated to ALL those that gave their lives during the entire Viet Nam war, FYI.

12 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Always assumed the twin turbos would perform well at high elevations..

The turbos increase the rarified air at these elevations to slightly below sea level - the little V-6 thinks its grinding up a hill in San Diego instead of a 10+k' slog in the Rockies!  Just a perfect match for the OTT...IMO.

We boondocked THU - SUN last week using Renogy's 200-watt "suitcase" portable solar modules - our 3 Battle Borns would consume between 10 - 15% SOC during the day and with roof plus portable modules, we were back up to 100% SOC before 11AM on this sunny weekend, FYI.

Headed down to Columbus, NM then across the border to Palomas in Old Mexico next weekend - totally opposite end of the WX spectrum in less than 7 days!

Cheers to all!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

spacer.png

• 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

Always assumed the twin turbos would perform well at high elevations..

52 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

The turbos increase the rarified air at these elevations to slightly below sea level - the little V-6 thinks its grinding up a hill in San Diego instead of a 10+k' slog in the Rockies!  Just a perfect match for the OTT...IMO.

Given that the basic design of the twin turbos in the Tundra and the F-150 are the same - 

I can concur that I've never had a single issue towing with this type of engine since 2011 (two different Ford Ecoboost engines).  And, when not towing the Elite II these twin turbos really are a blast to drive when you even think about putting your foot to the floor.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

37 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I can concur that I've never had a single issue towing with this type of engine since 2011 (two different Ford Ecoboost engines).  And, when not towing the Elite II these twin turbos really are a blast to drive when you even think about putting your foot to the floor.

Agree, hard to believe how fast these pickup trucks are with the small displacement V-6 twin turbos. When the traffic is heavy and I have a gap in traffic to "blend in", it's more of a thought pulling out from a stop sign blending in with the traffic. Even when towing Ollie, it has plenty of power. Fuel economy is good with these engines, too.

• Like 2

2015 LE2

46 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

And, when not towing the Elite II these twin turbos really are a blast to drive when you even think about putting your foot to the floor.

Exactly, Bill - I really try watching that, but occasionally the TUNDRA finds itself in the "Sport" mode...  Holy C**P!  It's like going into "Max Burner"!

What's the placarded "not to exceed" payload on your Ford Eco?  Just curious.  

My buddy was hauling his new 25-foot AS with his '22 Nissan turbo-ed Titan on this CO trip from NM.  A much heavier TT than the Ollie, his mileage was about 3mpg less than ours - but his tongue weight was almost double ours at 975lbs.  We brought our tongue weight scale along with us and measured his yesterday  before leaving CB.  We quickly discovered he was a couple hundred pounds over his max payload of 1200lbs.  Ugh!  Not good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

spacer.png

A year ago weighed the Tundra with all contents removed, current accessories installed, full 32 gallon fuel tank, and no occupants. Found Toyota was conservative with payload weight on our Tundra. Original payload of 1400 pounds from Toyota that I comply with. Subtracted current Curb weight from GVW to learn payload. Use CAT scales to be sure we don't exceed GVW, front axle, and rear axle maximum weights. For how we camp, we don't have any problems staying under Toyota's maximum weights.

Very surprised by the results:

GVW 6990 pounds - Curb weight 5440 pounds = 1550 pounds. o_O

Reading Truck on payload and towing capacities:

https://www.readingtruck.com/calculating-your-trucks-maximum-payload-and-towing-capacity

More details in following thread.

2015 LE2

18 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Original payload of 1400 pounds from Toyota. Subtracted current Curb weight from GVW to learn payload.

Very surprised by the results:

GVW 6990 pounds - Curb weight 5440 pounds = 1550 pounds. o_O

We got a similar result when measuring the TUNDRA's curb wt last week at the CAT scales.

Our curb weight came in at 5370 giving us a payload weight of: (6990 - 5370) = 1620lbs "useful load".

Still, by keeping our payload in the 1150 range (which is all the gear we need) we're conservatively below the placarded 1400lbs payload Toyota printed on the drivers door sticker...  Its good piece of mind knowing these weights!

• Like 1

spacer.png

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

What's the placarded "not to exceed" payload on your Ford Eco?  Just curious.  

2023 F-150 Lariat 6.5 foot bed, 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine, max tow, FX4 (mild offroad 4x4), power tailgate with entry steps, power runningboards.

P1030305 rotated.JPG

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
12 hours ago, rideandfly said:

A year ago weighed the Tundra with all contents removed,

I have to ask, how long does it take to fill that Ollie spare tire with the foot pump?  🤔

Mossey

IMG_1171.thumb.jpeg.da261fbed5356679ad83fbd0f4133753.jpeg

• Haha 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

19 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Agree,  I like Toyota’s practice of being conservative with their weights. We never exceed original placarded weights, too.

Right?  Could you imagine your insurance company finding out that you've overloaded the "not to exceed" weight after their investigation into your recent rear-ender?  

INSURANCE COMPANY RESPONSE:  "Well... if you had not exceeded the placarded weight restriction, you may have had enough distance to stop before impacting the other vehicle.  Sorry, we can't cover the damages."

Maybe a stretch, but why push it?  We'll stick with our 1150lbs of CR*P and keep piece of mind intact, just say'n.

spacer.png

• Moderators
1 minute ago, rideandfly said:

Silly question, foot pump is for motorcycle and small utility trailer, not for spare tire.

And here I thought that you were working on building those quads!😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Right?  Could you imagine your insurance company finding out that you've overloaded the "not to exceed" weight after their investigation into your recent rear-ender?  

INSURANCE COMPANY RESPONSE:  "Well... if you had not exceeded the placarded weight restriction, you may have had enough distance to stop before impacting the other vehicle.  Sorry, we can't cover the damages."

Maybe a stretch, but why push it?  We'll stick with our 1150lbs of CR*P and keep piece of mind intact, just say'n.

Normally after loading for a trip and connecting our LE2 Ollie, our Tundra’s weight normally comes in around 300 pounds or more under gross weight and under both axle maximum weights. Even though our current 2022 Tundra has a lower gross weight than our previous 2016 Tundra, it has a higher load capacity, that I appreciate. We never get close to our current Tundra’s gross weight. Like I say, we never exceed any placarded weights and appreciate Toyota being conservative with their weights.

This practice takes care of insurance concerns.

• Like 3

2015 LE2