Curb light deflector shields

Ollie-Haus

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Very clean mod!  Looks effective for its desired function!  Great pix - thanks for posting.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

I installed a dimmer switch such that just about all lights (inside and outside) the Ollie are dimmed.

Your solution certainly is a bunch cheaper!  And, easier to do too.

Bill

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

It's also easily removed and restored to original if ever desired. I do like the idea of a dimmer as well. 

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

57 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I installed a dimmer switch such that just about all lights (inside and outside) the Ollie are dimmed.

Your solution certainly is a bunch cheaper!  And, easier to do too.

Bill

@topgun2/Bill, could you please post details on how you implemented a dimmer for the lights?

Thanks, Don

• Like 3

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dhaig said:

Bill, could you please post details on how you implemented a dimmer for the lights?

Well,

As I type this I'm right on the North Carolina beach (TopSail Island) enjoying sun, sand, surf, fresh shrimp for dinner tonight, etc..  Therefore I do not have access to either my Ollie and/or any information on my dimmer.

About all I can tell you is that it is similar to THIS one.  I didn't want my dimmer to scream "dimmer".  However, there are a bunch of these 12 volt dimmer switches available on Amazon or West Marine.  I tapped into the main supply wires located above the curbside bed and mounted the control panel just to the left of the storage cabinet above that bed but aft of the kitchen cubbie.

Good news and bad news - good news first - it works great.  I am no longer blinded by the airplane landing strip of lights running down the center of the Oliver.  I'd certainly do this mod all over again.  However, the bad news is that virtually all lights are dimmed at the same time - both inside and outside.  Obviously, I've not been so bothered by this as to take the time and effort to change the wiring such that this was not the case.  But, there have been times where I've wanted or even needed brighter lights on the outside and I had to go back inside to make the change - yes, I known - "poor baby"!

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

@topgun2/Bill,

Thanks for the reply and the info on the dimmer.  Sorry to hear of your hardship conditions you are suffering there on the beach in NC.  And no Ollie nearby in which to seek refuge.

Have you explored the viability of separating the exterior lights from the interior?

Don

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dhaig said:

Have you explored the viability of separating the exterior lights from the interior?

No.

The "situation" hasn't really bothered me that much.

Bill

On 9/17/2023 at 9:51 PM, Ollie-Haus said:

I’ve been thinking about installing some type of shade or deflector shield on each of the curb lights along the bottom of Ollie-Haus to reduce the harshness for folks camping nearby. 

After considering numerous ideas, I decided to buy a piece of 1.125” aluminum “Z” extrusion and cut into 5 inch pieces to serve as stick on shields. (Edit) https://www.mcmaster.com/7062T16/    You may be able to pick this up locally and save the high shipping charge. Metal supermarket is a good source around the country. 

I chose this method as it seemed to me  an inexpensive, easy, effective and non-permanent modification that should do the job. I painted the pieces glossy white to match the camper and installed with clear double sided silicone tape. Here’s some pics of the results.

image.thumb.jpeg.0821e1f7d74d316ff8e7fd1a10c868f5.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.465b9951cfe3afc4b7964095e9e41760.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.63988712276c69167c282da47bbe15a5.jpeg

Nice idea. Added amber tape to the upper lights on both sides, but not done anything with the lower ones. Was thinking blue auto tape.

• Like 4

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

13 minutes ago, John Dorrer said:

Nice idea. Added amber tape to the upper lights on both sides, but not done anything with the lower ones. Was thinking blue auto tape.

John, on our second night in the Ollie, at about 3 AM, the dogs alerted on something.  I turned on the the curb side porch lights to see if we had an animal in camp, but saw a “two legged” critter leaving the area.  That extra bright light welcome serves multiple purposes.

• Like 6

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

@Ollie-Haus Chris - great idea, I also like the idea that the porch lights stay bright for looking outside when boon docking.

BTW - we were just on a trip to VA to go to my mom's funeral and "Whitezilla" died hard! Engine failure on the 7.3L. We were fortunate that we were 2 miles from a Ford dealer and they took us right in but unfortunately, the engine will have to be replaced and the truck is 6 hours from home.  I had to rent a ridiculous F-350 dually with the turbo diesel and a long bed @ $900/week to get to VA and back. Then we had to tow the trailer all the way to TN and then drive the truck all the way back to London, KY to drop it off (had to drop it where we rented it) and then rent a car to go back to TN while we wait for the new engine.

It seems the lifter on #3 CYL kept sticking and it would cause the exhaust valve to stay open resulting in a #3 CYL misfire. I chased that for several months by changing plugs, wires, and even a coil pack for #3 then it finally showed why it was doing that when the lifter froze and caused the push rod to bend resulting in a horrible noise. I was hoping it was a rocker arm or something similar and easy to fix but NO.

The dealership, and two others I have talked to, said this is the first engine failure they have seen on a 7.3L gas. Not sure if that makes me feel special or just unlucky. 

I will post a report on the Tremor forums as see if anyone has had a similar experience but haven't seen anything there so far like this.

Cheers,

Brian

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

Chris - great idea, I also like the idea that the porch lights stay bright for looking outside when boon docking.

When I first got my Ollie I thought that those little lights under the camper were simply a cute gimmick that simply shouted - hey, look at me, I'm an Oliver.

Fortunately, I changed my mind on this subject when later that very first summer I was preparing for bed in a nice boondocking spot and thought that I'd take a quick trip outside to .....  Anyway, I flipped the switch to turn those little lights on and made that first step out the door when I noticed a fairly large timber rattler curled up at the bottom of the second step!  I sure did appreciate the indoor plumbing that night!

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 2

2 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

@Ollie-Haus Chris - great idea, I also like the idea that the porch lights stay bright for looking outside when boon docking.

BTW - we were just on a trip to VA to go to my mom's funeral and "Whitezilla" died hard! Engine failure on the 7.3L. We were fortunate that we were 2 miles from a Ford dealer and they took us right in but unfortunately, the engine will have to be replaced and the truck is 6 hours from home.  I had to rent a ridiculous F-350 dually with the turbo diesel and a long bed @ $900/week to get to VA and back. Then we had to tow the trailer all the way to TN and then drive the truck all the way back to London, KY to drop it off (had to drop it where we rented it) and then rent a car to go back to TN while we wait for the new engine.

It seems the lifter on #3 CYL kept sticking and it would cause the exhaust valve to stay open resulting in a #3 CYL misfire. I chased that for several months by changing plugs, wires, and even a coil pack for #3 then it finally showed why it was doing that when the lifter froze and caused the push rod to bend resulting in a horrible noise. I was hoping it was a rocker arm or something similar and easy to fix but NO.

The dealership, and two others I have talked to, said this is the first engine failure they have seen on a 7.3L gas. Not sure if that makes me feel special or just unlucky. 

I will post a report on the Tremor forums as see if anyone has had a similar experience but haven't seen anything there so far like this.

Cheers,

Brian

I am sorry for the loss of your mom.  The engine problems sound awful too.  Hope the rest of your year is better.

John

• Like 4

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

I add my condolences for the loss of your mom. 

Couldn't happen at a worse time.

We had a similar experience when my husband's father died. Grueling, mentally and emotionally.  You'll be in my prayers.  

• Care 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, John Welte said:

I am sorry for the loss of your mom.  The engine problems sound awful too.  Hope the rest of your year is better.

Thank you John - during our trip I made the suggestion we put 2023 behind us and start 2024 early so we are thinking along the same lines.

I appreciate it brother.

Brian

• Care 3

12 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

Cheers,

Brian

Wow Brian, so sad to hear of your mother's passing. We are on similar ground as my mother passed on July 13th. After loosing my younger brother this spring it has really taken the wind out of my sails. My prayer is for peace of mind and strength for you all going forward. 

Following that with a major engine failure is a real punch in the gut. I know there have been a few 7.3 failures but they are very rare. At least they are taking care of you. I hope to get 200k plus with no issues. I am considering extending my warranty though. Hopefully all will smooth out and joy will return. Glad you are all safe and well after all the events. 

• Like 2
  • Care 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

7 hours ago, Ollie-Haus said:

Wow Brian, so sad to hear of your mother's passing. We are on similar ground as my mother passed on July 13th. After loosing my younger brother this spring it has really taken the wind out of my sails. My prayer is for peace of mind and strength for you all going forward. 

Following that with a major engine failure is a real punch in the gut. I know there have been a few 7.3 failures but they are very rare. At least they are taking care of you. I hope to get 200k plus with no issues. I am considering extending my warranty though. Hopefully all will smooth out and joy will return. Glad you are all safe and well after all the events. 

Chris,

Thank you for the kind words. I remember your trailer delivery was delayed due to a loss. She was 96, had a wonderful life and a large family.

You are correct that the 7.3L engine has had few failures considering its widespread deployment. There are a few instances on the forums where cams/lifters failed in MY2020 vehicles but very few that took the engine block with them. I never do anything half way!

An extended warranty, esp on the drive train is a good idea. The pinion seal on my rear diff went out, replaced under warranty. The transmission was replaced under warranty and now the engine. I will have a new truck when I get this one back. It took some fighting but Ford GAVE me an extended warranty out to 96k for all my troubles. You just got to be that squeaky wheel sometimes to get them to move on something.

Hope all is well with you, Stacie and the pooches and, of course, your extended family.

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 4

• Moderators

I know that it is rare - but - there are times that I actually am lost for words.

Two punches to the heart and gut in such a short period of time are tough by just about any standard.  It is good to know that your Mom lived a wonderful life.

Hopefully Ford will take good care of you such that your memories of this time can be met with peace in your heart and warm thoughts of your Mom.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Care 2

On 9/19/2023 at 11:28 AM, Brian and Brandelyne said:

Cheers,

Brian

John

• Love 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png