Jump to content

topgun2

Moderators
  • Posts

    7,789
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    467

Everything posted by topgun2

  1. Besides stocking up on the "materials" needed for first aid it is good to get a reminder every few years on how to use these things and improvise if you don't have the "proper" materials available. The American Red Cross conducts both regular first aid and wilderness first aid courses in many communities around the country. While you're at it, the winter just might be a great time to also refresh ones self on AED's and CPR. Bill
  2. KKMAIN - I assume that you are returning to CA via the southern route? What a grand trip you have ahead of you. I don't know if there will be an organized Quartzsite in late January - early February but it sure would be a wonderful way to break in that new Oliver. Bill
  3. Yukon - While on a factory tour recently I noticed that there are "new" lights being installed that do not have this black gasket visible like the ones on my hull #117. I'm guessing that this gets rid of the "streaking problem" once and for all. I do not know when the factory started installing these. With regards to the "old style" that have the black gaskets - mine have done very well since I applied the sealant that Oliver gave for this purpose at the 2017 Owner's Rally. And, since I've not heard complaints about it from those folks that used Captain Tolly's I have to assume that it has worked for them as well. Bill
  4. Hig - Thanks for the compliment to those of us who own Olivers. Not only is the general construction very boat-like but many of the components on Olivers are also derived from the boating industry. You should feel right at home - both here and in an Oliver. Bill
  5. Officially - welcome you two. I'm sure that with the Oliver your trips will be a bunch smoother than anything I could imagine that was on the road 40 years ago. Again I want to thank you and Sandy for allowing me to join you on you factory tour, but, I apologize for having a part in your feeling the need to write that big check (even though I believe that those are funds well spent). I look forward to seeing you two once again at the Owner's Rally in May. By then you will be seasoned Oliver owners! Bill
  6. Darrell & Kathy - Besides a very small ceramic electric heater, I also carry a Mr. Heater "Buddy" propane heater. The one I have will work from a single one pound propane bottle (Coleman and the like) or from a long hose that you can connect directly to your main propane tanks. It includes a tip over switch and a low O2 sensor but I always leave a window cracked when using it. Those one pound bottles can get rather expensive ($3-$4 at Walmart and up to $6 in specialty stores) but it works great and uses no electricity. Bill
  7. Wow! Hull 412! Good number and great to have you with us - Welcome. Hopefully that young pup is not too much for Izzy. But, most important - hope that your family in Wilmington is OK. The video that we have seen on our local newscast has not been pleasant. Bill
  8. Mike & Carol - I'm no help on SD but depending on how you are getting up there from Kansas I do have two suggestions. First is Big Lake State Park, Craig, MO. This park is not far off Interstate 29. Spotless showers and restrooms. Take food though in that there is not much nearby. The second is a commercial campground - Victorian Acres, Nebraska City, NB. On highway 2 not far west of Interstate 29. Clean showers and restrooms, laundry on site and restaurants nearby. Bill
  9. During a recent visit to the Oliver Service area I met a couple that were just picking up their Elite II (unfortunately I do not remember the names). They showed me a new hitch pin that they had just purchased at the local Tractor Supply and claimed that it made insertion and extraction of the pin from the Andersen easier. I decided to give it a try and went to Tractor Supply. After searching for the pin in the area where other hitch accessories are sold I found out that these are kept in the "farm" area of the store. The 5/8 inch by 4 inch pin is the one I bought and it fits perfectly. In addition, I also purchased a different kind of "keeper" pin since I felt that the one supplied with the hitch pin really didn't fit snugly enough. Once I got home I bent the end of the "new "keeper" pin so that it fit even tighter. This plus the fact that the hitch pin itself will not rotate once inserted in the Andersen gave me a fair degree of certainty that neither will come out on their own. Indeed, this hitch pin is really easier to use with both insertion and extraction because one has a handle for most of your hand versus just trying to use your fingers. Bill
  10. Welcome and thanks for letting us know. Every time someone announces their delivery or purchase I get to remember what it was like when we got our Ollie. Please know that the fun only begins at that point. Bill
  11. Don't forget that many 1/2 ton trucks require a weight distribution hitch when tongue weight gets to 500 pounds regardless of what the towing capacity is rated. Bill
  12. wdw - The only thing I'd know to do (quickly) would be to try to blow air into the area where the igniter is located. The best way to do this is with an air compressor. But, you could also use "canned air" (the kind that is used to clean computer keyboards) or even simply blow into that area. The idea here is to dislodge any foreign material that has come into contact with the sensor located at/near the tip of the igniter. However, always remember to NOT blow directly into the "jet" from which the propane is released. Good luck! Bill p.s. forgot the most obvious - assume that you checked to see if you have propane.
  13. After a week camping at Huntington Beach State Park - just south of Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, a Park Ranger advised us yesterday morning that possible evacuations could occur. Once again at about 4 pm, Park Rangers came to us and advised that mandatory evacuations would be effective as of noon today (Tuesday). Between the two warnings approximately 85% of our fellow campers packed up and left. After a very peaceful evening in an all but empty campground we got up at 5:30 this morning and hit the road hoping to get ahead of what surely was going to be bumper to bumper traffic. Well, while the traffic was certainly heavier than normal it was not even close to really bad. What would normally be a 6 1/2 hour drive actually took us right at 6 3/4 hours. As we left, there was light surf and a light breeze with a gorgeous sunrise. Certainly made it hard to believe that a "monster" storm was bearing down upon that area. I happened to look at my GPS's elevation reading just after we crossed the Intercoastal Waterway and it read 3 feet above sea level. With a storm surge forecast to be as much as 20 feet I realized that much of what I was looking at would/could be under water in about 48 hours. While I'm glad that I don't have to contend with this kind of Mother Nature's fury, I do feel for those that do and am in awe of all of it. Humans are not the only ones that appreciate an Oliver! Be a bit careful where you step! "Spooning" spoon bills Intercoastal waterway on Monday (9-10-18) evening.
  14. Like John I also researched both. However, I went with the Good Sam program. While there were a number of reasons for this choice the bottom line was that they were cheaper, my limited experience with AAA had not been very good and the towing limits that AAA imposed were also not very good. Good Sam will tow you to the nearest repair facility regardless of distance versus the "premier" 200 mile limit that AAA imposes. However, I would strongly recommend that you research both as they apply to your situation (where and how often you travel) and then pick the one that you hope you will never actually need to use. Bill
  15. Neil & Marybeth - When we picked up our Ollie in early February, we went directly to a Florida state park just south of St. Augustine for a week's worth of learning. What a great way to learn. While the wait will seem lengthy, it really wouldn't be long now. Congrates! Bill
  16. Paul - Welcome, glad that you like the Forum. Certainly there is a ton of information here and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Looking forward to 2020 but there are so many places to see before 2018 ends and all during 2019. Bill
  17. Kenny & Penny - AND, the fun starts. Congrates and welcome. I simply don't know of a better way to see the USA. Really not much time from now until delivery. November would be a great month to head down the Natchez Trace towards New Orleans while you find your way home. Bill
  18. These baskets are fabricated in house by Oliver - see my recent pictures of the plant tour which show the bottom of these baskets both "tack" welded and with the final welding completed. I know that there are vinyl covers available for these generators but I have never seen a metal cover. Bill
  19. Mainiac - Halloween is coming and the vampires will be out and about …. Bill
  20. We too have been to Snow Canyon and "second" the recommendation. It really is not very far from St. George. The hiking/biking is great. Don't miss the lava caves but don't try to go in. Also, if you are poking around St. George - ask about the dinosaur tracks just north of town near the water tower. Its probably a little more built up compared to the last time we were there, but, you go to the water tower, park and then just walk 100 yards or so to the north to an old dry river bed. Start walking along this river bed to the east and you will shortly start to see the tracks. Hopefully it has not been commercialized in that it made us feel as though we were discovering these for the first time. Bill
  21. OK, enough. We are getting a bit too close to that line of non-tolerance. Once again, let's all join hands around the campfire and sing a rousing chorus of Kumbaya. Bill
  22. Another Oliver owner suggested that I use products produced by a North Carolina company call Duragloss (www.duragloss.com). Previously I used Rejex but after I received a "free" demonstration I was sold - at least on the interior products and for a quick cleaning of the exterior. Using 4 parts Duragloss "Fast Clean & Shine" (923) mixed with 1 part Duragloss "Aquawax" (952) a quick spray and wipe with a microfiber towel cleans and shines EVERYTHING on the interior - including the mirrors - without streaks. I use this same combination for getting bugs off the front and general cleanup of the exterior. I also bought Duragloss RV wax but I've not had a chance to use it yet. While most of us can afford it, Rejex is certainly not the cheapest product around and Duragloss is cheaper even with the shipping included. If the Duragloss exterior wax is anything like the other two products that I've used I will not return to Rejex. Bill
  23. Gwenne - Just the other day I was cleaning some tree sap off the fiberglass with plain old mineral spirits. I tried some on a small spot of white caulk that was used to seal my windows and it worked wonderfully well with very little rubbing. I had previously used Acetone but I was always afraid that this was simply too aggressive. It looks to me from your pictures that you have a bit of mildew, so, I'm not sure if the mineral spirits will work. But it is worth a try. Good luck! Bill
  24. I understand that Oliver is currently working hard on a "bunk" option for use even on the current model. Bill
  25. In your situation with that size TV I would think that the major benefit of using the Andersen would be that it helps to dampen "bouncing" or "porpoiseing" normally caused by bridges on Interstates. That and the fact that in using the Andersen there is an additional attachment point between the TV and the camper which makes me feel a tad safer. Bill
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information