Two Inch Hitch-Mount Bike Rack Receiver

TimD

Our 2021 OEII came with a 2" hitch mount rack receiver but the installation was (in my view and with respect to a lot of other good work done by the prior owner of our trailer) not quite up to 'factory standard'.  In fact the U-bolt-based attachment method distorted the receiver shape just enough to make installation, and especially removal, of our 1Up hitch rack next to impossible.   So I sought to improve upon it.

After some research I settled on a receiver ostensibly designed for use on certain Lexus GX460 models:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRKR1Q4X

Drilling and attachment was straightforward given a drill press, a decent 1/2" bit, appropriate measuring tools, and a center punch.  The aluminum is relatively soft and drilling oil was not used.  I have not been able to get all the chips out of the interior, but did not try too hard to remove an end cap and access the box section beam interior that way.  The hardware is 3 1/2" x 1/2" stainless with stainless and yellow zinc washers.

We have not tested the setup on the road yet, but static fitment went fine.   The receiver and backing plate are fairly heavy; according to the retailer, about 10 pounds.  This item is designed for towing, when attached to a GX460; it is likely overkill for this application, but that's OK by me.   A side benefit is the receiver has safety chain mounts through which a cable lock could be passed.

I discussed this with Jason and he indicated the factory were considering offering a 2" receiver option moving forward.  Our bike rack is 2", our cars and TV have 2" receivers, and use of an adapter was not appealing to me.  

In hindsight I might have painted it white, or silver 😀

Enjoy!
Tim

20240327_101108.jpg

20240327_100630.jpg

20240327_100539.jpg

Edited by TimD
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 5

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Most receivers I’ve seen are mounted on top, seems the bottom-mount (shown in the first pic) would impede opening of the rear compartment. The hitch and backing plate look very solid; the chain holes may prove useful, but a locking hitch pin will serve the same purpose. Nice mod!

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

As mounted the rear compartment / bumper clears the back of the receiver by about 1".  😀   The receiver has a raised surround about 3/16" high, so I positioned the receiver far enough aft so that the raised portion is not atop the beam.  It would be possible to move the receiver forward, but not by much, in which case it might or might not interfere with the rear compartment / bumper swing.

Thanks!
Tim

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 3:27 PM, TimD said:

A side benefit is the receiver has safety chain mounts through which a cable lock could be passed.

I see now where the holes can serve in securing the bikes with cables or even chain. Please post a pic of your setup with the rack and bikes mounted, thanks.

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt