Broken frame crossbeam?

Anyone ever run into something like this, photos below? Just returned from a trip to the SW and noticed this crossbeam at the rear of trailer broke loose from its weld joint. Thinking about bolting it back on instead of finding someone who can do aluminum welding. What do you guys think?

Thanks 

Legacy Elite II #70

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

I think a call to the mothership is in order ASAP.  

And would you please add a signature line so we all know you have hull 70 and other pertinent info.  It's the Pono thing to do brother!

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

routlaw,

Sent you a private message with my email address. I cannot add photos to the forum by uploading at this time.

If you still can't post photos, you can email your photos to me, will post them using Smugmug. I also want to see your frame photos.

Test photo with Smugmug:

2023011212211496--233327372255770592-XL.

Edited by rideandfly

2015 LE2

https://www.roboutlawphotography.com/oliver#1

Hey folks thanks for all the help and interest, try clicking on the link above which should provide two thumbnails you can use either your cursor keys or click on each image to view the next. Anyway this should give you a better idea of my cracked frame, it's not terrible at this point but bad enough. 

• Like 5

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

Thanks for the pics!

I assume that the tank was full - or nearly full?  What kind of roads were you on?

In either case - this should not have happened.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

There was a forum posting a month or so ago concerning the exact same issue along with very similar photos. I copied and saved the photos but not who posted them. I’m assuming that this is a different owner/situation? If this is a new issue then yikes another epidemic to lookout for like springs!

• Wow 2

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

8 minutes ago, mountainoliver said:

There was a forum posting a month or so ago concerning the exact same issue along with very similar photos. I copied and saved the photos but not who posted them. I’m assuming that this is a different owner/situation? If this is a new issue then yikes another epidemic to lookout for like springs!

When I installed suspension wet pins and bronze bushings on another forum member's Legacy Elite a few years ago, found several welds cracked, not broken. He took his Ollie back to Oliver and they welded the cracked areas without any additional problems to my knowledge.

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 1
  • Wow 2

2015 LE2

3 minutes ago, mountainoliver said:

That would be me and it was about 8 months: Check your frame, any damage? Welds good? - Mechanical & Technical Tips - Oliver Owner Forums (olivertraveltrailers.com)

Something I found just after we purchased our used hull. I would not think to bolt this. Just find a welder that can work aluminum. We had two frame braces broken on the curbside. I found a local guy who runs a metal salvage yard and does metal artwork. He charged me $75 and I gave him $100 cash. Doesn't look as pretty as the original, but they have held. Make sure your trailer tires are below 50 PSI!

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

4 minutes ago, mountainoliver said:

jd1923, yes I just went back and found your original post and was getting ready to post a screenshot of it. Okay then that makes two issues. Check your frames. 

Mine had the two failures, yet every other weld was perfect, no other cracks at all. The purpose of my previous past was as the title suggests...
"Check your frame, any damage? Welds good?"
All OTT Owners should make this an annual check. I spend a lot of time crawling under cars, trucks and trailers. Generally, I find something that needs maintenance or repair, more often than not.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Thanks for the pics!

I assume that the tank was full - or nearly full?  What kind of roads were you on?

In either case - this should not have happened.

Bill

Roads were a mixed bag from Interstate to backcountry gravel roads none were terrible though and nothing compared to the road up to Green River Lakes in the Wind River Range. Fresh water was nearly full most of the recent trip.

• Wow 1

Legacy Elite II #70

Thanks for all the feedback folks, good info. Once the weather clears I will look into the repairs, crappy wet snowy weather up here in Big Sky country these days.

Legacy Elite II #70

We almost always leave home with a full fresh tank. Our Oliver weighs in slightly over 6K LBS with the fresh tank full. It would take another 100 gallons of water to get up to GTWR. I also do not believe highway vs dirt roads matter, except that if your tires are overinflated the washboard dirt road can be damaging, but not at correct pressure.

When we bought ours used, the tires were at 80 PSI. My bet is tire pressure. These days when I read pressure, if I can get all 4 even anywhere between 42 to 46 PSI, without backing into my driveway for the air compressor, I do that.

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 2

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, routlaw said:

Once the weather clears I will look into the repairs, crappy wet snowy weather up here in Big Sky country these days.

From what I've heard - you folks need the moisture.

Still - no one likes "crappy wet snow"! 🤠

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, routlaw said:

Roads were a mixed bag from Interstate to backcountry gravel roads none were terrible though and nothing compared to the road up to Green River Lakes in the Wind River Range. Fresh water was nearly full most of the recent trip.

Such a wonderfully drive with our truck camper for just one night. I had no idea what I was getting into. The views of Square Top, including on morning fog, made it worth it.

• Like 3

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

From what I've heard - you folks need the moisture.

Still - no one likes "crappy wet snow"! 🤠

We were below average the first half of winter but second half we have seen quite a bit of wet heavy stuff. Not sure what the snowpack is now but probably a bit lower than normal. 

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

@jd1923 we have never run out tires at 80 PSI nor would I, usually keep them at 45 unless we are on long rough gravel roads then I drop the pressure even more. We did travel a very well maintained gravel road on this last trip, going into San Rafael Swell. It was muddy going on but not rough at all. On the way out to I-70 to the south the gravel road was in great shape, easy cruising. My guess is the weld was weak from the start and over time collapsed after 9 years of use.

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

56 minutes ago, routlaw said:

@jd1923 we have never run out tires at 80 PSI nor would I, usually keep them at 45 unless we are on long rough gravel roads then I drop the pressure even more. We did travel a very well maintained gravel road on this last trip, going into San Rafael Swell. It was muddy going on but not rough at all. On the way out to I-70 to the south the gravel road was in great shape, easy cruising. My guess is the weld was weak from the start and over time collapsed after 9 years of use.

If you were the original owner and never ran near 80 PSI, that blows my theory. For me, receiving our used OTT with 80 PSI on all fours, I figured it was run that way for 6-7 years. Thanks @routlaw

Found a cracked weld under the water heater yesterday, believe it's same area as Routlaw's weld break.

There's a local race car shop that's done work for me in the past that has a very talented welder. Will give them a call.

Our Ollie is 2015 #75 LE2. Running 45PSI in the tires, dropping tires to 40psi this year, and always travel with empty fresh, black and grey water tanks. 99% of travel is on pavement. First owner never ran more than 50psi in the tires and we are second owners.

2024040719404269-4203211043845245424-XL.

2024040709132944--809155721374337029-XL.

Edited by rideandfly
  • Thanks 2
  • Wow 3

2015 LE2

@rideandfly bummer but at least yours has not completely come apart… yet.

Had a busy week and have not had the time to get mine repaired but did some research on aluminum welding. As you might guess opinions are all over the place from boat builders in Australia using adhesives instead of welding to TIG welding and other methods. There seems to be a lot of concern with aluminum welding weakening the material. I don't have an opinion yet but the Aussie who builds aluminum boats using adhesives really caught my attention. 

The big question now is, how many more of these broken welds are running around out there being unnoticed?  

Thanks and good luck with the repair.

• Like 2

Legacy Elite II #70