Tundra/Sequoia V6 Engine Recall

Posted (edited)

I saw yesterday that Toyota has finally issued a Safety Recall for 2022 & 2023 Tundras and Sequoias.  I’ve read that 2024’s are continuing to have the same main bearing failures.

I’m a huge Toyota fan and you will have to pry my 2011 CrewMax out of my cold dead hands - but the new ones look really nice.  Very disappointed in Toyota for these failures and hope they find the root cause soon.  Not really buying the “debris from engine manufacturing” as the cause, since that would be easy to remedy and I think they would have taken care of that early on when these failures started to occur.  

Anyone here with a third gen Tundra had an engine failure yet? 

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-recalls-certain-model-year-2022-2023-toyota-tundra-and-lexus-lx-vehicles/

Edited by katanapilot
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

2020 Elite II Hull #628, Houghton Heat Pump, Victron install in progress...

TV - 2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4WD, Magnuson Supercharger, OME suspension

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

No failures with 30,000 miles so far on our 2022 Tundra. Changed the engine oil at 1,000 miles, then 5,000, and 10,000 miles trying to get rid of debris from engine manufacture.

Also changed the differential oil at 1,000 miles and found metal shavings on the drain plug/magnet that was larger than expected. 😐

• Like 1

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina

No indication of engine issues after 35,000 miles (knock on wood) - getting engine oil changed next week and will inquire at the Toyo service center regarding the recall.

• Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Posted (edited)

Was so disappointed Toyota dropped the bullet proof 5.7 V8. We loved our 14 Platinum CrewMax it was a great truck. We just needed a lot more cargo capacity when loaded up to travel safely and ready to camp. The negative press and stop sale stickers on the new 22/23 YM Tundras sitting on dealers lots impacted by this recall is not good.

Only time will tell how this works out.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 hours ago, Patriot said:

Was so disappointed Toyota dropped the bullet proof 5.7 V8. We loved our 14 Platinum CrewMax it was a great truck. We just needed a lot more cargo capacity when loaded up to travel safely and ready to camp. The negative press and stop sale stickers on the new 22/23 YM Tundras sitting on dealers lots impacted by this recall is not good.

Only time will tell how this works out.

This has the potential to be a disaster for Toyota, even worse than the 1st gen Tundra frame recalls. I know they'll make it right no matter what it takes but I see no other option than to drop the oil pan and pull the main bearing caps and inspect the bearings. Pretty sure the motor has to be pulled on these trucks to do this too..

Agree with you on the 5.7 V8. One of the best engines ever built, but even it had it's issues (valve springs) for the first couple of years it was out. I was planning on buying a new Tundra once the kinks were worked out, but looks like I'll have to wait a little longer than expected..

• Like 4

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

Posted (edited)

Since Toyota plans to have a solution by late July, we still want to continue towing Ollie on local Blue Ridge Parkway trips while waiting for Toyota's solution.

From my information gathered so far, failure rate is much less than 1% of 102,000 Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

Edited by rideandfly
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Bill:
I would press on if your are under 29K.  But would for have towing on both TV and Ollie!

Would also not go boondocking where the two insurance would not cover.

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Just returned from a trip to Michigan (not towing) through West Virginia and Ohio with over 1400 miles and the pickup got over 24MPG.

Read every post I could find on a Tundra forum today,  confident Toyota will solve the issue.

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Our Tundra experience is the same as @rideandfly's. (Thanks for posting the spreadsheet, BTW, Bill!). We've had no engine indications such as those listed on the Tundra Forums spreadsheet.

I'm planning to get our oil analyzed at our local FBO at ABQ Sunport next week to set a baseline.  We've put north of 3,500 miles on the TV in the past 6 weeks - it tows Casablanca famously with over 35k miles.  The only mods we've made are the AirLift 5000 pneumatics for the rear suspension.

Planning 1,500-miler to WY in two weeks...  Oh, well.

• Like 2

• 2022 TUNDRA

Posted (edited)

Added some Toyota items after purchase (mud flaps, bed mat, side-rails, Tonneau cover) but only aftermarket item was Timbren Load Enhancement System on the rear differential.

The more I look at this, going to change oil/filter every 5000 miles (required when towing) but will do this towing or not. Each oil change, will take an oil sample for analysis and monitor engine oil condition until Toyota resolves this recall. There are some folks with over 100,000 miles on their 2022 Tundras without any issues. 

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 3

Good call, Bill - I'm thinking we'll be doing the same.  Do you use the TOW+ mode when dragging the OTT?  Just curious...

• Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

Good call, Bill - I'm thinking we'll be doing the same.  Do you use the TOW+ mode when dragging the OTT?  Just curious...

Yes, use tow mode with Ollie and normally tow in 7 & 8 gears in NC & TN

18 minutes ago, ChrisMI said:

Didn’t Toyota had early turbo failures on this engine?  I know turbos are not very tolerant of contaminants in the oil.

Yes, there were some early turbo failures, too.

These engines were in some Lexus vehicles for a few years first, but different turbos were selected for the Tundra

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 1

“Also changed the differential oil at 1,000 miles and found metal shavings on the drain plug/magnet that was larger than expected. 😐

I owned a 2017 Tundra for a short while and also found machining shavings in the rear differential so I guess that nothing has changed in 7 years. 

• Like 2

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

4 minutes ago, mountainoliver said:

“Also changed the differential oil at 1,000 miles and found metal shavings on the drain plug/magnet that was larger than expected. 😐

I owned a 2017 Tundra for a short while and also found machining shavings in the rear differential so I guess that nothing has changed in 7 years. 

Found one nice size curly shaving from machining or drilling in the first differential drain. Hard to see how it was missed during assembly.

• Wow 2

4 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Found one nice size curly shaving from machining or drilling in the first differential drain. Hard to see how it was missed during assembly.

Bill,

With the type of meticulous care you take of ALL your vehicles, I don’t think you will encounter any ongoing issues with your Tundra. 👍🏻

• Like 4

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Posted (edited)

David,

You are very kind!

Looking forward to camping with Ollie later this month!

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, rideandfly said:

David,

You are very kind!

Looking forward to camping with Ollie later this month!

Bill,

We gotta get our 🫐berries picked and then we’ll be on the road again. So far things are looking really good. We’ll see.👍🏻

David

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Very interesting video.  And, this guy's point of view just may be correct.

However, not being a engineer, I trust that these companies (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota) all have a bevy of engineers whose job it is to design products that live up to the required specs.  I purchased one of the first generation 3.5 twin turbos when I got my 2011 Ford F-150.  I was "nervous" about this decision because I've always shyed away from buying the first generation of any new automotive product - "wait until they get the bugs worked out" was the standard mantra.  I took the "risk" because of all the testing that Ford claimed had been done on this new engine.  As it turned out - I never had a problem with that truck and this led me to purchase another 3.5 ecoboost in 2017 and yet another in 2023.  Yes, I may have been very lucky in that Ford has had issues with their trucks resulting in a number of recalls over the years.  These recalls include engine recalls such that Ford actually totally redesigned the turbo truck engines.  Perhaps I dodged those recalls because I tend to not keep my vehicles beyond 6 years and, therefore, never get anywhere near 100,000 miles on them prior to the purchase of a new one.

When I started looking at new trucks in late 2021, the Tundra was high on my list given that the "best" truck I've ever owned was a Tacoma.  Unfortunately, the overall specs of the Tundra just didn't measure up to the F-150 (payload being the main issue).  I was told that these numbers should not get in my way because Toyota always is very conservative in calculating and reporting these kinds of specs.  And, while I actually believe that the probability of this statement is most true, I decided to stay with the devil I knew versus the devil I didn't know.

Certainly Toyota "tested" this engine that is causing "problems" and (I assume) that it met or exceeded the design specs.  But, perhaps, as with the situation that caused Ford to redesign their engine, Toyota has run into an unforeseen issue that only started to show up during "real world" testing on engines that had been driven a fair amount of miles.  Hopefully Toyota will get to the bottom of the issue quickly.  And, I have little doubt that when they do Toyota will do the right thing and get it fixed.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

Here's notice a Tundra owner received this morning from Toyota Canada:

"We would like to confirm that Toyota Canada initiated Safety Recall Campaign SRC RH0 (XH0) to resolve an issue related to the engine may stall.

We would like to take this opportunity to advise at this time Toyota Canada is currently in the process of manufacturing the efficient amount of parts for this recall. We do apologize, however we do not have a time frame when they remedy will be available. Please be assured that we will notify you by first class mail as soon as the campaign remedy parts are available. At which time you can make an appointment with your dealership to have the recall completed at no cost to you. As we previously advised should you have concerns regarding this recall, please reach out to your dealership.

We trust this information is helpful and thank you again for taking the time to contact us."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 9:40 AM, topgun2 said:

Hopefully Toyota will get to the bottom of the issue quickly.  And, I have little doubt that when they do Toyota will do the right thing and get it fixed.

Bill

Agree, hope they resolve this quickly.

I'm not getting into manufacturer's names, but during 2021 purchased a new pickup and it stayed in the dealership shop during 2021 over 30 days during one time waiting to be fixed correctly. Next vehicle purchased was this 2022 Tundra. Had 4 recalls on the Tundra so far.

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Assuming the video is spot on, with main bearing assemblies cast into the block, the likely fix will be engine replacements.  100,000 replacement engines cost alone will be well over a billion dollars.  That's based on 100,000 engines at $10K replacement cost.  But to  amass that number of engines and teams to replace them will not be a short term effort.  

I have very high regard for Toyota and the fact that they have "Rogered Up" to the problem.  I also know that they will fix it, and when it is, the owners will be very happy with their TV's.

GJ

• Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

We're north of 35k miles with zero issues - if we make it to 75k we might be good.  The spread sheet showed very few failures in the higher mileage range.  The engine/drivetrain warranty is 100k, it would be nice to get a new motor at about 99k!  HA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

• 2022 TUNDRA