Operating the MaxxAir Fan

jd1923

Q1: Is there a way to turn the fan off while running and keep the vent from closing?

We have this fan and remote (pics).

Q2: How do you get the screen off for cleaning. Ours has one broken tab and I don’t want to break another. Thx

IMG_3939.jpeg

IMG_3940.jpeg

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

I am not sure about leaving it open while off. But Oliver did put out a video on cleaning it and operation. 

• Thanks 4
  • Like 2

Todd & Kat

2023 LE ll twin, hull # 1305, Truma AC & WH, Platinum solar, Natures Head

2024 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3L gasser / 3.75, FX4

Q1; On my model the only way to achieve this is to turn the fan off, which will close the cover, then turn the vent cover knob to open the cover.

Q2: Gently turn the tabs until they release the screen. Don't be surprised or alarmed if one falls out.

Edited by Corvus
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

49 minutes ago, Corvus said:

Q1; On my model the only way to achieve this is to turn the fan off, which will close the cover, then turn the vent cover knob to open the cover.

Thank you Jerry & Kathy for both answers! I turned the tabs, why didn’t I think of that, and I have the screen out now. Thanks again.

I’m hoping for a procedure to turn off the fan without closing the vent cover. Chris wants the fan on when going to sleep where it’s just cool enough to go w/o A/C. When I wake up, middle of the night, it’s much cooler and I want to turn it OFF but keep the hood/vent open.

The motorized lever mechanism is soooo noisy late at night! I muffle the sound with a pillow on the fan, then OMG have to do that again to open the vent, no fan. I’ve got to find the procedure, or I promise I’ll pull it apart and wire a dedicated toggle switch for this simple purpose.

• Like 2

On other models of this fan, the handle could be pulled down to disengage the motor.  Mine won't do that.  What you can do, is while the fan is still running, slowly turn the lever mechanism by hand to close the lid.  Turn off the fan and the motor will recognize the fan lid is closed.  Reverse the lever slowly to reopen lid.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderators

I clean the screen and blade assembly after each trip.  You figured out the screeen, the blade is held on by a single set screw that comes off easily.  If we want the vent open and no fan I usually just turn the fan down all the way to 10, it hardly moves any air.  The vent is pretty noisy, once we open it it stays open.  We got down to 43 here last night, both vents open and Vornado heater providing quiet, even heat.  Mike 

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

@jd1923, the remote control for our MaxxAir fan (2022) has 8 buttons, as does yours, but a different key arrangement than yours.  It appears to have the button functions corresponding to yours.  There is a button on my control showing an icon of an opening cover.  When I press this key, to fan cover opens, but the fan remains OFF.  

Have you tried pressing the VENT OPN/CLS button?  This may do what you want.

Regards, Don

• Like 1

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

On 10/26/2024 at 1:48 AM, Mike and Carol said:

We got down to 43 here last night, both vents open and Vornado heater providing quiet, even heat.

Like you, we prefer not to heat with our Heat Pump and Suburban furnace for over night sleeping.  If we return to a cold Ollie, we use either the Heat Pump or Suburban to get Ollie up to a confortable temperature if circumstances allow.  But like to use electric heat from a quiet source if possible and needed.

For a replacement electric space heater I prefer smaller, lighter and safer as important considerations.  But if smaller, it still needs to get the job done as well for our sleeping time when temps are in the 40's.  

I have heard good things about the Vornado.  My old school 750/1500 watt unit does not have the safety features yours does and is larger than I would hope.  We are not camping in winter and frankly if it is 43 degrees we likely will very rarely see that temperature as well.  So your post really is helpful in my space heater quest.  I'm thinking of the smaller Vornado Heater that has only the low and medium (750 Watt) settings and all the safety features of it's big brother  (That also has a 1500 watt setting). 

What setting is needed to keep Ollie confortable in 43 degrees for overnight sleeping?  Knowing what you know now, would you recommend the smaller Vornado for those not camping in the sub 40 degree conditions who occasionally need a sleeping time electric heater?

Thanks

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

19 hours ago, dhaig said:

Have you tried pressing the VENT OPN/CLS button?

When the lid is open, fan running, and you key the OPN/CLS button it will close the lid and the fan stays running.

@Mike and Carol thanks for the note of the fan blade. I will clean it when we get home. I’ll also study the wiring to see what can be done.

I’m not going to carry an electric heater. We have an Atwood furnace. Prior owner wrote a service complaint re noise and had OTT replace the Suburban. The mods I made, running hard ducting the first 6 ft, eliminating the under bed duct, eliminating the dual outlets and adding a return air filter has made it even quieter! We ran our furnace for a week in the high country, mornings in the 40s. It was very quiet and it only blows in kitchen and bath. The overhead fan, even on 10%, bothers me more.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

What setting is needed to keep Ollie confortable in 43 degrees for overnight sleeping?  Knowing what you know now, would you recommend the smaller Vornado for those not camping in the sub 40 degree conditions who occasionally need a sleeping time electric heater?

Our Vornado has three settings, 750, 1150, 1500.  The lowest setting is enough for temps down into the 40’s.  We’ve used the middle setting to get things warm while camping in the 30’s.   We rarely use the 1500W setting, in the teens and 20’s it will get the trailer warmed up and then we go to one of the lower settings.  It’s got a wide base and is super stable.  It also has a switch on the bottom that shuts the unit off if it is not sitting flat.

We’ve been in the Kansas City area the last couple of nights, overnight temps near 40 when we wake up.  Using the lowest setting (750) we kept the temperature in the high 60s for sleeping.  That’s not running constantly.  I think the new ones have a digital temperature readout.  Ours just has a knob (8 years old).  If you’re not going to camp in sub freezing temps I think the small Vornado would be fine.  It’s a very quiet unit.  Mike

• Love 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS