Bed Toys (for the truck)

topgun2

• Moderators

There seemed to be a fair amount of discussion on another thread (tailgate clearance) about truck bed covers, truck bed lighting and truck bed liners.  So, I thought that I'd start a new thread to cover this type of thing.

I too thought a long time about a topper (shell) or a tonneau cover for my new F-150.  I decided on the tonneau because: I liked the look better, I didn't need a shell for storage (however, as Reed mentions, it would have been nice for those rainy times both setting up and fishing to be able to stand under the rear "door/hatch"), a shell would need to be removed when I hauled my motorcycle or anything taller than the shell, a shell is harder to see through both when towing and when not, and, generally a shell is more expensive.

I wanted a "hard" tonneau cover because I felt that it would be more durable than the fabric ones and would look better too.  Also, I could put or lay things on it without worrying they would make it sag or poke a hole in it.  However, I didn't want one of the solid (one piece) tonneaus because it would have to be removed in order to haul my motorcycle or get a load of mulch or ...

Most (if not all) of the tonneaus that I looked at required you to open the tailgate of the truck in order to close the cover, but, I found Bak-flip that had a model not requiring this - the Bak-Flip MX4 - 

Besides the tailgate feature, this model allows me to be able to haul the motorcycle or a load of mulch without having to remove the cover - just fold it up to whatever is necessary. And this folding can be done from either inside or outside the truck bed.  Unfortunately, these things are not inexpensive - $750 - $900 depending on size and where you buy it.

I also bought some rubber gasket material to help seal around the sides and bottom of the tailgate of the truck.  This helps keep both moisture and dust out of the rear of the bed.

Like Try2Relax, I bought a knock-off brand of Bedrug just to put on the floor.  This allows me the ability to easily remove it if I want to haul that load of mulch.  Also, it is much easier on the knees, helps pad the things I put in the bed and slightly reduces the amount that these things slide around.

Finally, just yesterday, I added some additional LED lighting.  The Ford comes with two LED lights near the tailgate of the truck.  But with things loaded in the bed, dark nights, and/or the cover in the down position, it was difficult to easily see where things were up near the cab.  So, I got "truck bed lighting" at WalMart (about $20) and installed it along each rail.  This is a big improvement.  If anyone is interested in doing this - just drop me a PM and I'll describe how I did it.

Bill

• Thanks 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I went with the almost the same cover as you did, mine is the fibermax. I really like this cover, it's easy to install and use, the bed is dry and secure with the locking tailgate of my 2014 f150 and it doesn't cover the stake pockets on the bed rails, so I installed a ladder rack and can haul my kayaks on top. The only problem I've had was the self tapping screws stripping out on the rear latches, they were an easy fix.

• Thanks 1

STEVEnBETTY

• Moderators

Along with the "rug" for the floor of the bed I also got the "rug" for the tailgate.  I really didn't think that I'd like it all that much and that it just might either get in the way or have trouble keeping it firmly attached to the tail gate.  None of those fears were well founded.  Now, I can kneel on the gate without the knees screaming or simply sit on it without roasting buns.  It was a great addition.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Steve&Betty - I had one of the buckles break.  But I called Bakflip and they send me a whole bag of replacement parts - which of course I will now haul around with me for the rest of my life and probably never need.

Bill

I went with the tonneau this time also just because I didn't want to have to climb in to get things out. I have a utility cover sitting at home with the double doors on the back but still, the tonneau looks great and access is simple. Plus... Karen has ADHD, so IF I had a shell, she would have it packed to the roof with even more stuff, hehe. So, I do like my tonneau :)

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

There seemed to be a fair amount of discussion on another thread (tailgate clearance) about truck bed covers, truck bed lighting and truck bed liners. So, I thought that I’d start a new thread to cover this type of thing. I too thought a long time about a topper (shell) or a tonneau cover for my new F-150.

Bill,

Bak-Flip MX4 is an excellent cover. Assume you wanted information posted about other covers, too.

Been looking over a year and decided to go with a Diamondback SE cover on our Tundra. It's not hard to remove, if needed. Used the Diamondback on a camping trip earlier this week and it works great! Some folks transport ATVs on top the cover. Our cover is rated for up to 400 pounds weight.

i-xpC9kHr-L.jpg

i-qZBwXxC-L.jpg

i-sGBHf6s-L.jpg

• Thanks 3

LE2

• Moderators

Bill - I don't recall ever seeing the Diamondback when I was looking.  Looks sharp!  Can you fold the section nearest the tail gate all the way back over the center and front sections?  Do all three sections "lock"  into the bed rails/caps?  I assume that the last section has some sort of lock on it.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks,

The center section has hinges for both doors.   Both doors have keyed locks using dead bolt style locking rods in pickup bed rail system. The center section has sea clamps secured on pickup bed rails, too. Remove or install all three sections in about 30 minutes.  Complete cover weight of 80 pounds.

Diamondback has different configurations, too:

https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/covers

https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/atv-sxs-carriers

https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/accessories

i-rpb7JVc-L.jpg

i-KprWtHb-L.jpg

i-HDCSPRM-L.jpg

LE2

• Moderators

Bill - I really like those locks.  As we all know, a determined thief can get into most anything, but, as far as the tonneaus that I've seen these keyed locks are stellar.  The Bakflip is a bit difficult to get into as long as you remember to lock the tailgate - of course on my 2017 truck this happens every time you lock the doors.  However, with the use of a well placed coat hanger, the crook is into the bed.

Bill

• Moderators

Brad - I've got an old (bought it for my first truck) rubber mat that I put in the bed when hauling the motorcycle.  Even though I have a spray in bed liner, it still gets slippery.  So, that rubber mat helps out a bunch.  And the Tractor Supply job is a bunch cheaper than any alternative I know of.

Bill

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/3/2017 at 9:51 AM, topgun2 said:

Bill - I really like those locks.  As we all know, a determined thief can get into most anything, but, as far as the tonneaus that I've seen these keyed locks are stellar.  The Bakflip is a bit difficult to get into as long as you remember to lock the tailgate - of course on my 2017 truck this happens every time you lock the doors.  However, with the use of a well placed coat hanger, the crook is into the bed.

Bill

I don't think our 2013 F350 Super Duty has a locking tailgate.  What do you do about that?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Big dog?  Big shotgun?  Big alarm?

Have a locking tailgate retrofitted?

Truck cap with a locking lift gate?

A couple of cheap hasps welded to the sides of the truck with big expensive locks so it doesn't look sooooo bad?

Good luck!

Bill

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Big dog?  Big shotgun?  Big alarm?

Have a locking tailgate retrofitted?

Truck cap with a locking lift gate?

A couple of cheap hasps welded to the sides of the truck with big expensive locks so it doesn't look sooooo bad?

Good luck!

Bill

All but the dog will be under consideration 😀

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderator+

You guys are overthinking this. Pop N Lock. I’ve installed four of these on different vehicles. 

Edited by ScubaRx

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Susan....Another option is to go with a hard cover that also locks down over the tailgate, and won’t allow the tailgate to open without a determined break-in.  One type I know about is from Undercover.  https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-se  

I’ve had 3 of these over the past  20 years on my work trucks, every one of them outlasted the trucks.   They can support several  hundred pounds, I’ve stood  on them many times.  People frequently mount bike racks on them.    I’ve got a newer personal truck as a TV and I need to get a cover also.   I’ve been looking at the Diamondback SE,  I now have a locking tailgate.  I might just settle for the less expensive Undercover or another brand and get a portable 12v fridge/freezer with the savings.  Btw a small solar panel can be easily mounted on a hard cover to power a 12v battery and fridge. 

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

The dog is multipurpose, I never understood how effective a larger inquisitive dog could be.....seems it adds one more deterrent that crooks avoid. 

Even if they are just looking for a treat.

20160112_170554 (2).jpg

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I use the bed topper /cap. It has its advantages and disadvantages.  I found something interesting made for toppers. A topper lift.  4  electric post lifts, that lifts the topper to be able to put larger item in the truck bed.  The other nice idea is the company sells a kit to convert the topper to a tent camper when lifted. The web site is topperezlift.com

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

Pretty cool way to convert a topper to  a tent camper. Could be a great solution for exploring without the trailer, or extra sleeping space for guests.

Years ago, my in-laws had a neighbor lady who camped in her little Ford Ranger with a topper. Threw a foam mattress and a portapotty in the back, and traveled all over. Tight quarters, but she wasn't very big. I really admired her, as she did this well into her 80s.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.