Sign in to follow this  
CedarForks

Andersen Triangle Plate Shackle Pins

The Andersen Manual says: "Hand-tighten both shackle pins until they are fully seated, then back them off 1/4 rotation. Doing this prevents them from seating too tightly over time and becoming too difficult to unscrew."

Before reading the manual I was worried about them unscrewing over time, so I secured them tightly and threaded a plastic tie through the shackle eye (in lieu of the usual twisted wire).

I'll revert to the Andersen instructions but must admit that I don't understand.

I've never worried about this in that other than my once per year cleaning and/or repainting of the whale tail, I've never had the situation where I needed to take those shackles off.  However, shortly after I took delivery of my Oliver, I did purchase stainless steel shackles (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace) so that I would not have to deal with the eventual rust on the stock ones.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Use pliers to hand tighten them after adding silver antiseize compound to the threads. No worries.

That “loosen a quarter turn” advise was really intended for stationary applications like a chain hoist .... but if you try that with a boat anchor, or trailer hitch, you may lose parts.

Securing with heavy stainless steel safety wire is very good. I have never tried nylon ties but would worry about them since the white ones deteriorate in sunlight. Black would be better, and be sure to change them yearly.

Leaving the hitch shackles loose makes it really easy way for somebody to walk away with your front section... do you want that?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.