Andersen Triangle Plate Shackle Pins

The Andersen Manual says: "Hand-tighten both shackle pins until they are fully seated, then back them off 1/4 rotation. Doing this prevents them from seating too tightly over time and becoming too difficult to unscrew."

Before reading the manual I was worried about them unscrewing over time, so I secured them tightly and threaded a plastic tie through the shackle eye (in lieu of the usual twisted wire).

I'll revert to the Andersen instructions but must admit that I don't understand.

• Moderators

I've never worried about this in that other than my once per year cleaning and/or repainting of the whale tail, I've never had the situation where I needed to take those shackles off.  However, shortly after I took delivery of my Oliver, I did purchase stainless steel shackles (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace) so that I would not have to deal with the eventual rust on the stock ones.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Use pliers to hand tighten them after adding silver antiseize compound to the threads. No worries.

That “loosen a quarter turn” advise was really intended for stationary applications like a chain hoist .... but if you try that with a boat anchor, or trailer hitch, you may lose parts.

Securing with heavy stainless steel safety wire is very good. I have never tried nylon ties but would worry about them since the white ones deteriorate in sunlight. Black would be better, and be sure to change them yearly.

Leaving the hitch shackles loose makes it really easy way for somebody to walk away with your front section... do you want that?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2019 at 3:53 AM, topgun2 said:

I've never worried about this in that other than my once per year cleaning and/or repainting of the whale tail, I've never had the situation where I needed to take those shackles off.  However, shortly after I took delivery of my Oliver, I did purchase stainless steel shackles (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace) so that I would not have to deal with the eventual rust on the stock ones.

Bill

I recently had the shackle pin back completely out. Fortunately just as were pulling out of campsite.  I am going to “mouse” them to the shackle body with black annealed tie wire. I found the attached on-line. 

0FA45F05-F1E0-4E6C-8DE6-DAFD544E6721.png

• Like 1

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

2 hours ago, GarryandKristi said:

I recently had the shackle pin back completely out. Fortunately just as were pulling out of campsite.  I am going to “mouse” them to the shackle body with black annealed tie wire. I found the attached on-line. 

0FA45F05-F1E0-4E6C-8DE6-DAFD544E6721.png

Thanks Garry for the heads up, will do the same. 

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Lost a shackle pin, resulting in unknowingly dragging one chain while traveling.  At a rest stop inspection, I noticed the whale tail had turned to a 45 degree angle and only one chain was connected (the other chain had some "road burn" scrapes.  Having previous experiences attempting to back my TV to the meet the "angle" of the whale tail to properly align and connect to my hitch, I decided to secure the Andersen chains and continue my travels without the Andersen system connected to my TV (and the GMC HD2500 Duramax performed just fine without the Andersen system).  However, my preference is to use the Andersen as an additional "safety measure" (after all, it is paid for), so I devised a unique method to straighten the angle of the whale tail. I attached the whale tail to my TV and connected a strap to one end of the whale tail and the other end of the strap to a tree.  A slight, careful pull with my TV straightened the angle and Andersen ball/whale tail (picture attached).  I need to know if this method makes sense, or, will this damage my Andersen system?  

Andersen whale tail.jpg

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, KWRJRPE said:

I need to know if this method makes sense, or, will this damage my Andersen system? 

As long as you just nudge it forward until straight I don’t see how you could do damage.  If you are at a rest stop there aren’t a lot of options!

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

KWR...

When I took delivery of my Oliver, I was "given" a collapsible handle for use with sockets for the wheel lugs and the Andersen socket.  Without the sockets, this handle is just the right size to fit in the hole (5/8 inch I think) at the bottom of the Andersen hitch assembly.  This then allows me to turn that "ball shaft" until I get it to the appropriate angle necessary for the plate.

I see no problem with your method other than having to find something to attach that strap to.

Bill

p.s.  Obviously I would never try to make this "adjustment" with the Ollie attached since it would put too much weight down on the ball. 

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill:  I have used the socket handle and can see no evidence of damage.  The new model Anderson shaft ball turns much more easily than the old.  If I happen to have the triangle plate installed and the chains unshackled I can turn the shaft with just my hands on the triangle plate,  That of course is with no trailer weight on the ball.  Best regards,
John Shkor
SailorsAshore

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 12/22/2020 at 12:17 PM, KWRJRPE said:

Lost a shackle pin, resulting in unknowingly dragging one chain while traveling.  At a rest stop inspection, I noticed the whale tail had turned to a 45 degree angle and only one chain was connected (the other chain had some "road burn" scrapes.  Having previous experiences attempting to back my TV to the meet the "angle" of the whale tail to properly align and connect to my hitch, I decided to secure the Andersen chains and continue my travels without the Andersen system connected to my TV (and the GMC HD2500 Duramax performed just fine without the Andersen system).  However, my preference is to use the Andersen as an additional "safety measure" (after all, it is paid for), so I devised a unique method to straighten the angle of the whale tail. I attached the whale tail to my TV and connected a strap to one end of the whale tail and the other end of the strap to a tree.  A slight, careful pull with my TV straightened the angle and Andersen ball/whale tail (picture attached).  I need to know if this method makes sense, or, will this damage my Andersen system?  

This YouTube video, posted by Andersen shows how to straighten the whale tail by pullIng it straight with one chain connected beginning at the 2:12 mark.  Which is basically the same thing you did with your tie down strap.  So I don’t think you are doing anything wrong

The method I use when I have ended up with the whale tail at an angle is to chock the wheels and raise the front of the trailer so I can back the ball under the Bulldog hitch about 2 to 3" to put the ball under the latch.  This usually provides enough slack to connect the chains or put the whale tail back on.  I then pull forward, lower the trailer on to the ball and finish connecting the trailer.

Disclaimer:  Do not back into your tow vehicle.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 2:28 PM, Jim_Oker said:

Any suggestion for  a wire  choice?  I  see LOTS of options coming up in a search on Amazon but narrowed it a bit by searching on "motorcyle safety wire."  Something like this

That should work.  I got black wire from Lowe’s - brand is blue hawk and it was 16 gage. What I got will rust but one can keep an eye on it. The one you list is stainless so that would not be an issue. I think the point is to get malleable wire that can be twisted and tightened without snapping. Tie wire use in construction for rebar is black but of course just temporary and buried in concrete. 

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

Blue water sailers & others who around salt water a lot will use stainless or monel wire.  A small spool, available for a few bucks at marine supply outlets like West Marine & commercial fishing suppliers is relatively cheap and will last for many, many years.

On our 35' ocean going cutter Light Beyond, we check ground tackle & other shackle pins yearly, applying lanolin to the threads.  Even heavy grease works will if renewed regularly

• Like 2