New members from northern Indiana!

LongStride

Mike (LongStride) and Yasuko (ShortStep) here.  Greetings to all!  

We are both retired and enjoy hiking the trails of our county, state, and national parks.  We normally stay in park lodges, cabins, or nearby hotels.  COVID has made those accommodations less appealing.  

I used to tent camp many years ago and considered going that route again.  Not forgetful of the joys of setting up camp in the rain, I quickly ruled that out as a long term solution.  I started looking at teardrops but ShortStep said that if it had wheels it had to have an onboard potty.  Happy wife, happy home right?  

Quality is of utmost importance to me, so I immediately began researching single axle Airstreams due to their stellar reputation.  It seems that reputation has become tarnished in the past few years since being bought out by Thor Industries (king of the stickies).  I read quite a few disturbing owner reviews that had me wondering if "top of the line" did not now mean "the least crappy".

It was in an Airstream owners forum that I stumbled upon a thread about Oliver Travel Trailers.  Wow!  I was shocked to read a number of reviews raving about Olivers, and even a few who unabashedly said they wished they had purchased and Oliver instead of their Airstream.  

I started researching Olivers and ultimately scheduled a visit to Hohenwald.  We were very impressed with the factory tour and Oliver's obvious commitment to quality.  We are expecting delivery of our Elite l in early June of 2021.  Excited about the new opportunities this will open up for us.  We love REMOTE areas and small secluded campsites where we might struggle with a larger trailer.

Really appreciate this forum.  I have learned much already and think it is wonderful that you folks share your knowledge so willingly.  We need to start thinking about finalizing our options before too long.  I am sure I will be hitting you up with questions soon. 

Happy Holidays!

• Like 3

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

And - that's the long and short of it.

Really, welcome.

There are a bunch of us that got here in a way similar to you guys.  Congratulations on joining the family.  And even though June might seem a long ways away, there is plenty to do between now and then.  In the meantime, let those questions fly, get to reading, get to planning all those Ollie trips, and, Merry Christmas to you two too.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• Moderators

Wow! Welcome to another Elite I, from an original gen Elite. (#12).

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

LongStride,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Elite l, very exciting! This forum has a wealth of knowledge and a great Oliver family to become acquainted with. Everyone is more than willing to lend an ear and answer your questions. You also have plenty of time to study up on your Ollie and become Oliver University Alumni. Being fairly new Oliver owners ourselves, Oliver University has been extremely helpful. Oliver even takes there customer service to another level with great maintenance videos. So dive in snd enjoy.

Welcome to the Oliver Family, now hit the books. 📚👍🏻😄

-Patriot

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Except for the being retired part, this sounds exactly like how it all unfolded for us a few months ago. I love the nostalgia and aesthetic of Airstreams and, after ruling out teardrops, thought that was what I wanted. Nope...turns out I wanted an Oliver! 

Edited by jdmmtx
  • Like 1

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

Welcome from Maine.

Of all the options I don't believe there is a 'camper stretcher'. Is the bed in the Elite I wide enough for a "Longstride"? As the bed goes side to side as opposed the to 'for and aft' for the Elite II. Plus the panty and extra drawers provide some real nice storage for extended remote stays. At 23.5' the Elite II is still shorter that most pop-ups today and with the higher ground clearance will fit where most campers won't. Of course depends on tow vehicle too.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

Welcome from Texas! We are in the waiting queue as well. Lots of info on these boards to fill your time between now and pick up. Congrats and Merry Christmas to you both.

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

Mike and Yasuko, Greetings from North Dakota, OLE II # 665 "SNY SD UP". 

At 6'7" I too have a long stride, so if you have a Height related question inside the Ollie, let me know.

Bryan & Maggie,

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

Perhaps "LongStride" was a bit misleading as a handle for a forum.  It has to do with the height disparity between my darling wife and myself.  She is a petite little thing and I need to mind my pace when going down a trail so she doesn't have to scurry about like an excited chipmunk.  Seriously though, it's not quite that dramatic and she always keeps up without complaint.  I just like to tease her about it!

We did visit the factory and checked out an Elite l to see if I would be comfortable with it.  The port/starboard arrangement of the bed will be fine.  I am a bit shy of 5'-11" which leaves me a few inches, and I seldom sleep all straightened out.  Cabin height is fine.  Toilet compartment is a little tight because of the raised shower floor but I can deal with it.

If we were to go with the Elite ll, the fore/aft twin beds only offer one more inch in length over the Elite l as I understand it.  Twin would be the only arrangement we would consider because we don't want to deal with bed assembly every night.  We plan on leaving the bed set up on the Elite l and using the space underneath as storage.

Thanks Bryan and Mainiac for your concern and advice, it is appreciated.

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

Hello Mike and Yasuko. My wife, Kazue, and I, John, will be picking up our first Oliver, and Elite I, in March, we trust. After Kazue let me know that she would not be joining me in a tent - our honeymoon was a tent camping trip along the California coast when I was 18, she was 19 - I began looking at reasonable trailers. I found teardrops which would have been fine for me, but they were a bit expensive. Looked at other fiberglass trailers; Scamp, Casita and Escape, Bigfoot, then discovered Oliver. Oliver offered the positives of the others, the wait list wasn't as long, and they seemed to be as well or better made. Hope to see you out on the road. We are still based in southern California in Ventura County.

2022 Ford F150 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

Map of Provinces I Visited

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWIWYmed[1].jpg