water pump chattering at end of cycle

Hey, folks.

I'll admit I've yet to read the entire section(s) of the manual relevant to this topic. I'm about to go do that now.

My water pump has been chattering a bit at the end of its cycle. Just for like the last second or so but its pretty loud and sounds like it could be less-than-healthy for the pump. I use the pump most of the time as opposed to relying on shore pressure so it occurred to me if might just need a rebuild/new seals. Another thought is that something between it and the accumulator (2019 E2) might be losing/have lost prime.

Anybody have any tips?

• Moderators

It could be that the bypass pressure needs to be adjusted. The telltale sign is a sort of whooshing sound right at the end of the cycle.

It’s a very easy adjustment to make.  On the front of the pump there are two small hex screws: the one in the center adjusts the maximum pressure, and the one below changes the bypass pressure. Adjust it in ¼ turns until you can’t hear the whooshing anymore. 

0C0E9934-DACB-4201-861E-BFE7D3B2BE5F.thumb.jpeg.066dedb0d8b86653097d2830b6958b09.jpeg
The other possibility is that the rubber diaphragm (or some other part) needs to be replaced. That’s a little more complicated but I wouldn’t call it difficult. You can find fairly inexpensive repair kits for the pump on Amazon. 

Edited by Overland
  • Like 3

Snowball • The world's only spherical Ollie

Thanks for the tip. No whooshing here. Sounds more like a woodpecker. I'll record it when I get a chance.

Going to order a new pump and a repair kit today. The pumps are not that expensive to have on the shelf and one thing I've learned this year is parts on a shelf beats relying on the "supply chain". ;)

Edited by nrvale0
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, nrvale0 said:

Going to order a new pump and a repair kit today. The pumps are not that expensive to have on the shelf and one thing I've learned this year is parts on a shelf beats relying on the "supply chain". 😉

That said, I would try Overland's adjustment first. Also, check pump mounting to make sure it's not rattling.  Maybe play with the other pressure adjustment screw, 1/4 turn at a time. 

Before I tore into a rebuild. Or replacement.  We don't have a bladder on our system. So, some of my experience is limited. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

There was quite a bit of plastic shaving in the filter -- I assume I must have hit some rough roads that shook things loose that didn't shake loose when I first set sail. Cleaned that out and it does seem to have helped a little bit but see attached video.

I'll order a rebuild kit today and maybe film the service to post here after I'm done.

• Like 1