Trip planning software

• Moderators

Here’s a thread that discussed camping apps:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3957-useful-camping-apps/?tab=comments#comment-38531

Are you interested in mapping and route planning or in campground locations and facilities?

For campgrounds, I like the Allstays group of apps, Campendium and Ultimate Public Campgrounds.  For route planning I like InRoute as well as Apple Maps and Google Maps.  We also use the Harvest Hosts app since we’re members and like to use them occasionally for one night stops.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

7 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Here’s a thread that discussed camping apps:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3957-useful-camping-apps/?tab=comments#comment-38531

Are you interested in mapping and route planning or in campground locations and facilities?

For campgrounds, I like the Allstays group of apps, Campendium and Ultimate Public Campgrounds.  For route planning I like InRoute as well as Apple Maps and Google Maps.  We also use the Harvest Hosts app since we’re members and like to use them occasionally for one night stops.  Mike

Thanks Mike and Carol. I am more interested in route planning.

2022 Oliver Elite II Hull#1047 "Saunter"

2014 VW Touareg TDI

ALAZILINKSMIMONVNMNCOHSCTNTXVAsm.jpg

I think you need to tell us if your truck has Apple CarPlay or Android Auto…… Not all apps or devices will work with these. For example, my GAIA nav app will only work from an iPhone…. for some weird licensing reason. I do not yet have a TV with CarPlay, but I would really want to connect my iPad Mini4 to it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

13 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I think you need to tell us if your truck has Apple CarPlay or Android Auto…… Not all apps or devices will work with these. For example, my GAIA nav app will only work from an iPhone…. for some weird licensing reason. I do not yet have a TV with CarPlay, but I would really want to connect my iPad Mini4 to it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John my TV will be VW Touareg TDI that does not have Apple Airplay. I currently use the GAIA app for hiking trails and like it. Looking to plan a trip in south least US after Ollie pickup and March and a future trip around Lake Superior. I am considering one of the Garmin GPS units mentioned in other posts.

2022 Oliver Elite II Hull#1047 "Saunter"

2014 VW Touareg TDI

ALAZILINKSMIMONVNMNCOHSCTNTXVAsm.jpg

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, DaveM said:

I am considering one of the Garmin GPS units mentioned in other posts.

Dave - 

I've mentioned the Garmin 890 in a couple of posts and I continue to like it for both planning purposes and for actual travel.

Having said this, just like all of the GPS devices on the market of which I'm aware, the 890 is not without its "issues".  During a 2 month road trip out West this summer there were two occasions that my 890 tried to route me on roads that I know do not exist (any longer).  In addition, I found out that there is no "simple" way of changing a trip that was planned in the 890 from "car mode" to "trailer mode".  Other than losing the benefit of the Garmin knowing your length and height and weight (generally these are all no problem when towing the Ollie but they certainly could be) there is no harm in this.  In addition, having a fairly large POI information base plus Ultimate Public Campgrounds, Tripadvisor, Foursquare, KOA, iOverlander, National Parks plus other "apps" already in the unit make changes "on the fly" and when planning much easier.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I would just add one more to this list. I agree allstays and campadium are good but they are iOS only. So if you are an Android person you are a bit out of luck unless you want to stay only on their website. The Dyrt is another great campground finding/reviewing app. With the Pro version it provides trip planning capabilities along with offline mode so you can keep your route and information even when you lose your connection. I also just became aware of these which can be very handy.

Highway Weather - Shows you the weather along your route and can even give you recommended departure times to avoid most the weather. 

TruckMap - For those that have taller longer trailers it is more helpful as it provides routes that support your size of rig. 

• Like 1

If you want to try sticking with your phone for turn-by-turn type directions but don't want the limitation of needing to be connected to the internet to get a route, take a look at the TomTom Go app - they have been a strong competitor of Garmin's (and other routing tool makers) since forever and they've basically taken most of what they do in their dedicated devices and put it into an app for phones that allows you to download the entire map sets per country (as well as for inter-nation ferry connections). AFAIK it doesn't include any option to set a height clearance and have that taken into account with respect to the routes though, so Garmin's RV unit seems to have a leg up there (see comment above on that not always being perfect though! I think one of those truckers' paper based atlases may remain a key tool in the arsenal).

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

For those that do have Apple Car Play,  I like using the GAIA app on my iPhone, which in turn is plugged into the TV and displaying the map and route on the large built-in vehicle screen.   GAIA has an offline mode, which is essential because where it is most useful, you often won't have a cell signal.   I read John Davies advice in this forum about it's use with Apple Car Play, and I gave it a try.   I prefer to use an older Garmin 785RV  GPS for turn-by-turn on the civilized roads, but GAIA is excellent for back country dirt roads, forest service roads, finding  boondocking sites, hiking routes, backcountry lakes, etc, and it has lot's of topo filters &  functions.   Thanks for the advice John!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

Gaia is also fantastic for hiking and backcountry skiing. When I've skied with guides (four trips in the last five years) the guides are using Gaia or the equivalent for the country we were in instead of dedicated GPS units (which they did also have but at the bottoms of their packs). I especially liked having it for hikes out across the blank sandstone slickrock shelves in Utah

• Like 2

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709