Jump to content

Ollie by March


Recommended Posts

Hello, my wife Sondra and I joined the forum last month.  After reading through many posts, we reach out to a couple of you directly to ask specific questions about your rigs, but, now that we have placed our order, we felt it was a good time to introduce ourselves to the community.  As you can tell from my display name, we live in NC.  I’m an NC native, who grew up in Mukilteo, WA, and Sondra is from Tinton Falls, NJ.  We’ve been looking for a retirement RV for a couple of years and knew from the start we wanted something small, reliable, and reasonably four season capable.  Our journey will probably sound familiar.  We started with class Bs and smaller Cs, but quickly moved to truck campers then even more quickly to molded fiberglass ones.  We really like Northern Lite and Bigfoot, but their weight meant we would likely need a 1 ton dually, which we didn’t want.  That led us to molded fiberglass travel trailers and we narrowed that down to Bigfoot, Escape, and Oliver.  We really liked how Escape allows for a great deal of customization.  We were able to view a couple of them and until last month, we were certain that’s what we were going to buy.  But, before placing an order with Escape, we wanted to at least take a look at the Elite.  @Brian and Maria graciously opened their trailer to us and we knew we had found our retirement RV.  Oliver being a family owned business and being relatively close to home were also big for us.  Our Elite will be ready this March and we are looking forward to meeting you on the road.  I guess we need to put our reservations in for Hiawassee 🙂

  • Like 7
  • Love 1

2023 Elite II (March 2023)

2019 Tundra 4x4 5.7L with tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum, I lived in Mukilteo for about ten years starting around 1984. If you haven’t been back in a while, you will not believe how that entire area has changed 😳

Do you have any towing or RV experience? Did you ever look at an Elite 2? The littler one is a great trailer but it is going to be cramped for two people and all their stuff on longer trips. If you have not seen the bigger one, try to get an appointment, it might change your mind. 

John Davies

Spokane WA, the Dry Side.

  • Like 2

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you @John E Davies.  I left in 79 when I joined the army, but I've been back twice, in 86 and 97.  The somewhat isolated house I grew up in was still there in 97, but was surrounded by a much larger neighborhood.  I heard there's even a commuter rail between Mukilteo and Seattle now.  It was lumber mills and Boeing when I left.  Now it's a bedroom community.

We were going to look at the LE2 as well, but the timing with the owners didn't work and we had already seen the Escape 19 and 21C, the latter being about the same size as the LE2, and decided it would be more of a challenge backing it up our narrow, curved, uphill driveway and squeezing it next to the house.  We've done some camping in our friends and family's RVs, but this will be our foray into owning one.

  • Like 2

2023 Elite II (March 2023)

2019 Tundra 4x4 5.7L with tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bryan in NC said:

We were going to look at the LE2 as well, but the timing with the owners didn't work and we had already seen the Escape 19 and 21C, the latter being about the same size as the LE2, and decided it would be more of a challenge backing it up our narrow, curved, uphill driveway and squeezing it next to the house.  We've done some camping in our friends and family's RVs, but this will be our foray into owning one.

That is a valid concern, but easily fixed for very little cash:

683B8753-1FCE-45B3-9B03-3B9A8721F0BA.thumb.jpeg.af4490036cead8ef1ce1a1beefd032d5.jpeg

Driving any trailer into tight spots is super easy from the front, as long as there is physical room for the bigger one at the parking area. However the Elite does have a number of other advantages over the larger trailer, especially for boondocking and those small National Park and forest service campgrounds.

Watling Engineers Front Towbar Demonstration

John Davies

Spokane WA

  • Like 6

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Congratulations on your order and welcome to the forum.  It’s all about owners helping owners here.  We’ve been to plenty of campgrounds that were tight and we’ve been able to get into them every time, especially some National Parks campgrounds.  Let us know how we can help!  Mike

  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bryan in NC said:

Hello, my wife Sondra and I joined the forum last month.  After reading through many posts, we reach out to a couple of you directly to ask specific questions about your rigs, but, now that we have placed our order, we felt it was a good time to introduce ourselves to the community.  As you can tell from my display name, we live in NC.  I’m an NC native, who grew up in Mukilteo, WA, and Sondra is from Tinton Falls, NJ.  We’ve been looking for a retirement RV for a couple of years and knew from the start we wanted something small, reliable, and reasonably four season capable.  Our journey will probably sound familiar.  We started with class Bs and smaller Cs, but quickly moved to truck campers then even more quickly to molded fiberglass ones.  We really like Northern Lite and Bigfoot, but their weight meant we would likely need a 1 ton dually, which we didn’t want.  That led us to molded fiberglass travel trailers and we narrowed that down to Bigfoot, Escape, and Oliver.  We really liked how Escape allows for a great deal of customization.  We were able to view a couple of them and until last month, we were certain that’s what we were going to buy.  But, before placing an order with Escape, we wanted to at least take a look at the Elite.  @Brian and Maria graciously opened their trailer to us and we knew we had found our retirement RV.  Oliver being a family owned business and being relatively close to home were also big for us.  Our Elite will be ready this March and we are looking forward to meeting you on the road.  I guess we need to put our reservations in for Hiawassee 🙂

Congratulations!  I went so far as to place a deposit on an Escape before finally deciding to purchase the Oliver.  I also considered Bigfoot for a short time, but did not want to buy through a dealer.  Hopefully we'll both be happy with our decision.

  • Like 4

Southern Arizona | 2021 Ford F-150 | 2023 Oliver Elite II on Order 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Bryan in NC said:

Thank you @John E Davies.  I left in 79 when I joined the army, but I've been back twice, in 86 and 97.  The somewhat isolated house I grew up in was still there in 97, but was surrounded by a much larger neighborhood.  I heard there's even a commuter rail between Mukilteo and Seattle now.  It was lumber mills and Boeing when I left.  Now it's a bedroom community.

We were going to look at the LE2 as well, but the timing with the owners didn't work and we had already seen the Escape 19 and 21C, the latter being about the same size as the LE2, and decided it would be more of a challenge backing it up our narrow, curved, uphill driveway and squeezing it next to the house.  We've done some camping in our friends and family's RVs, but this will be our foray into owning one.

Bryan:

When I was in the market for a RV, I looked first at the Elite. I thought that would be what I would buy until I saw the Elite II.

I would suggest that you look at a Elite II prior to Oliver starting production. You may change your mind. Even though you have your order into Oliver, that is just a place holder in production. You could change to the Elite II if you decide to. The Elite II is obviously a little longer, but has a lot more inside storage space for both food (with the pantry) but also for your belongings. I find it better fit for extended camping trips.  

You could use John's idea of a front trailer hitch to move the Elite II into you yard. I also find that the Elite II with the double axle is easier to back up then my single axle trailers.

Either way, you have an order into one of the best RV's manufactured and the best customer service company. 

  • Like 4

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2018 RAM 1500 Rebel 4 x 4, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear ratio

Maine

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats NC neighbors!! Your delivery day will be here before you know it!

Patriot 🇺🇸

  • Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634   TV -2021 F 350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate “Tremor”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to the forum! 
I agree with the others to see a Elite II before your final decision. 
We previously had an Airstream Nest but found it was way too small for any extended trips and the climb over bed situation got old real fast!
We love the twin beds and so much more storage in the E2. 
Towing with the dual axle is so nice and what a difference from our Nest in backing it up (smaller definitely wasn’t easier)! 
We too fell in love with fiberglass campers and considered an Escape but the Oliver quality and customer service just can’t be beat! 
Whichever you decide you will love your Oliver!❤️

  • Like 5

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

There are a few of us out there who still own and enjoy our original 2008 and 2009 Elite shorties. So, 15th season for us, (and several others I know)  something like 150k miles, couldn't tell you how many days used, but over 150 last year, and 100+ (so far) this year. Then again, I know a couple people who sold their shorties, and bought the bigger trailer later. 

Whether it suits you as a trailer or not really depends. If you're over 6'1", you may find it problematic, especially if both people are tall. The full size bed is cozy, and warmer in the cooler months, but, sure, I'd love to have the few inches extra space of a queen. The crawl-over hasn't been a big deal for us, yet. Maybe when we get older. We'll see. I'm the short one, so I get the inside post, and I  don't find it to be a big deal, yet.

If you have big dogs, or multiple dogs, you may find the space gets very small, especially in bad weather. We've had two small dogs, usually just one. We leave the big dinette set up as a bed, and use three big bins under the bed for extra storage. The dog(s) sleep(s) on the small dinette seat(s), on their own bed(?s). 

Otherwise, we have everything we need, in miniature, and then some, to enjoy our time camping. Life in miniature suits us. We don't carry a lot of "extra" stuff. Actually, we carry less every year. If an item isn't part of safety or first aid gear, or essential spares, and hasn't been used in the season, it gets culled at the end of season. Poof-- disappears to the garage archives, or goes to the Salvation Army.

Disadvantages of the Elite are few, imo, as I think it's a great boondocking unit, and it tracks exactly behind the truck on narrow mountain roads.  A 1500 pickup tows it like it isn't back there, and no Andersen required.

Disadvantages-- for its size, it's rather heavy, and of course, it's pricey. A bit less rooftop space for solar, and less space for batteries in the smaller compartment.

On the other hand, it's two less tires to replace every five years, and a bit less surface to wax and clean, and with the underbed bins, probably as much or more storage than the elite 2 with twins. Fits into spots designed for tenters, and too small for even an elite 2. 

As far as backing, couldn't say compared to a 2, but we've not had issues. The distance between ball and axle make it much easier than my squirrely old sunfish and trailer, which had a very short tongue.

I've watched my husband, and also one of our friends, back our little trailers between trees with barely 6" on each side to spare. (We do this routinely at home!) Yes, they're experienced.  But, you will be someday, too. 

You get the same marine quality fiberglass and gelcoat, same fixtures, etc. with the shorty.  I have no desire to move to the bigger trailer, but that's a personal choice.

Every trailer lives big on the outside.

 

  • Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2022 at 7:06 PM, John E Davies said:

That is a valid concern, but easily fixed for very little cash:

683B8753-1FCE-45B3-9B03-3B9A8721F0BA.thumb.jpeg.af4490036cead8ef1ce1a1beefd032d5.jpeg

Driving any trailer into tight spots is super easy from the front, as long as there is physical room for the bigger one at the parking area. However the Elite does have a number of other advantages over the larger trailer, especially for boondocking and those small National Park and forest service campgrounds.

Watling Engineers Front Towbar Demonstration

John Davies

Spokane WA

That's a cool receiver John!  I'll keep it in mind if we decide to upsize down the road.  And, yes, boondocking and rustic campgrounds are the way we prefer to camp.

  • Like 1

2023 Elite II (March 2023)

2019 Tundra 4x4 5.7L with tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, Mike and Carol said:

Congratulations on your order and welcome to the forum.  It’s all about owners helping owners here.  We’ve been to plenty of campgrounds that were tight and we’ve been able to get into them every time, especially some National Parks campgrounds.  Let us know how we can help!  Mike

Thanks Mike!

  • Like 2

2023 Elite II (March 2023)

2019 Tundra 4x4 5.7L with tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2022 at 9:21 PM, AZ Wonderer said:

Congratulations!  I went so far as to place a deposit on an Escape before finally deciding to purchase the Oliver.  I also considered Bigfoot for a short time, but did not want to buy through a dealer.  Hopefully we'll both be happy with our decision.

Thanks!  Having to buy from a dealership was also one of our reasons for not getting a Bigfoot.  The others being the size and age of the used units we saw.

  • Like 1

2023 Elite II (March 2023)

2019 Tundra 4x4 5.7L with tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 9:50 AM, Patriot said:

Congrats NC neighbors!! Your delivery day will be here before you know it!

Patriot 🇺🇸

Thanks neighbor!

  • Like 2

2023 Elite II (March 2023)

2019 Tundra 4x4 5.7L with tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 11:56 AM, Katjo said:

Hello and welcome to the forum! 
I agree with the others to see a Elite II before your final decision. 
We previously had an Airstream Nest but found it was way too small for any extended trips and the climb over bed situation got old real fast!
We love the twin beds and so much more storage in the E2. 
Towing with the dual axle is so nice and what a difference from our Nest in backing it up (smaller definitely wasn’t easier)! 
We too fell in love with fiberglass campers and considered an Escape but the Oliver quality and customer service just can’t be beat! 
Whichever you decide you will love your Oliver!❤️

Thanks @Katjo!  I definitely agree with the quality difference between Escape and Oliver.  We'll be okay with a single axle.  I've towed them in the past and they were difficult to back up in the beginning, but it should come back to me quickly.

  • Like 2

2023 Elite II (March 2023)

2019 Tundra 4x4 5.7L with tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 3:37 PM, SeaDawg said:

There are a few of us out there who still own and enjoy our original 2008 and 2009 Elite shorties. So, 15th season for us, (and several others I know)  something like 150k miles, couldn't tell you how many days used, but over 150 last year, and 100+ (so far) this year. Then again, I know a couple people who sold their shorties, and bought the bigger trailer later. 

Whether it suits you as a trailer or not really depends. If you're over 6'1", you may find it problematic, especially if both people are tall. The full size bed is cozy, and warmer in the cooler months, but, sure, I'd love to have the few inches extra space of a queen. The crawl-over hasn't been a big deal for us, yet. Maybe when we get older. We'll see. I'm the short one, so I get the inside post, and I  don't find it to be a big deal, yet.

If you have big dogs, or multiple dogs, you may find the space gets very small, especially in bad weather. We've had two small dogs, usually just one. We leave the big dinette set up as a bed, and use three big bins under the bed for extra storage. The dog(s) sleep(s) on the small dinette seat(s), on their own bed(?s). 

Otherwise, we have everything we need, in miniature, and then some, to enjoy our time camping. Life in miniature suits us. We don't carry a lot of "extra" stuff. Actually, we carry less every year. If an item isn't part of safety or first aid gear, or essential spares, and hasn't been used in the season, it gets culled at the end of season. Poof-- disappears to the garage archives, or goes to the Salvation Army.

Disadvantages of the Elite are few, imo, as I think it's a great boondocking unit, and it tracks exactly behind the truck on narrow mountain roads.  A 1500 pickup tows it like it isn't back there, and no Andersen required.

Disadvantages-- for its size, it's rather heavy, and of course, it's pricey. A bit less rooftop space for solar, and less space for batteries in the smaller compartment.

On the other hand, it's two less tires to replace every five years, and a bit less surface to wax and clean, and with the underbed bins, probably as much or more storage than the elite 2 with twins. Fits into spots designed for tenters, and too small for even an elite 2. 

As far as backing, couldn't say compared to a 2, but we've not had issues. The distance between ball and axle make it much easier than my squirrely old sunfish and trailer, which had a very short tongue.

I've watched my husband, and also one of our friends, back our little trailers between trees with barely 6" on each side to spare. (We do this routinely at home!) Yes, they're experienced.  But, you will be someday, too. 

You get the same marine quality fiberglass and gelcoat, same fixtures, etc. with the shorty.  I have no desire to move to the bigger trailer, but that's a personal choice.

Every trailer lives big on the outside.

 

Thanks @SeaDawg and WOW, a 2008 Elite with 150K miles!  What memories you must have!  I agree with all the points you made.  Sondra and I sort of qualify as minimalists.  Sort of, because we'd still be in a tent if we were true minimalists 😂

2023 Elite II (March 2023)

2019 Tundra 4x4 5.7L with tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 9:03 AM, dewdev said:

Bryan:

When I was in the market for a RV, I looked first at the Elite. I thought that would be what I would buy until I saw the Elite II.

I would suggest that you look at a Elite II prior to Oliver starting production. You may change your mind. Even though you have your order into Oliver, that is just a place holder in production. You could change to the Elite II if you decide to. The Elite II is obviously a little longer, but has a lot more inside storage space for both food (with the pantry) but also for your belongings. I find it better fit for extended camping trips.  

You could use John's idea of a front trailer hitch to move the Elite II into you yard. I also find that the Elite II with the double axle is easier to back up then my single axle trailers.

Either way, you have an order into one of the best RV's manufactured and the best customer service company. 

Thanks @dewdev!  We did look at couple of Escapes that were very close in size to the LE2 and still decided we wanted a smaller trailer.  The twin bed floor plan is nice, but having a smaller and lighter trailer is more important to us right now.

  • Like 4

2023 Elite II (March 2023)

2019 Tundra 4x4 5.7L with tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
18 hours ago, Bryan in NC said:

Thanks @SeaDawg and WOW, a 2008 Elite with 150K miles!  What memories you must have!  I agree with all the points you made.  Sondra and I sort of qualify as minimalists.  Sort of, because we'd still be in a tent if we were true minimalists 😂

There are several of us out there, still loving our little trailers, 15 seasons in. @bugeyedriver probably has more miles than we do with his 2008 Wonderegg. 

And scubarx has owned both models,  for a total of as many years.

  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Brian and Sondra, congratulations on your upcoming Oliver purchase!!  It will open up a new world of exciting road trips and wanderings ahead.  An Elite will provide years and years of enjoyment across this beautiful land. 

The last two years have really slowed down my traveling . . . only 139,000 miles on The Wonder Egg so far.  So far, I've camped in 48 states, (missing Delaware), 10 provinces, one territory, have seen unbelievable giant Redwoods and Sequoias, monuments, canyons, ancient ruins, pueblos, Viking settlements, and camped with an iceberg grounded in a cove right behind the campsite.

The Wonder Egg still looks like it just rolled off the factory floor and is ready for 15 more years of 4 to 7 month wanderings each year . . .  roll on!!  

  • Like 6

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.


Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com


ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
20 hours ago, Bryan in NC said:

Incredible @bugeyedriver.  Our goal of visiting all of the US national parks and as many of the forests as possible, seems trivial now.  What a testament you, @SeaDawg, and others have written!

Visiting all the US National Parks and forests is a commendable goal . . . not trivial at all.  Have at it!  You will also, serendipitously, experience many other wonders in your travels.  Enjoy!

  • Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.


Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com


ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...