Solar awning?

SeaDawg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, mountainoliver said:

I don’t remember that there were any wires pre installed in the ceiling but know that there were #6 cables and the temperature sensor wire running from the basement area just aft of the pantry up the wall between the window and pantry, into the open area where the radio is located. Oliver service connected to the #6 cables near the radio and ran those back to the attic area up between the roof panels and to the location where they mounted the combiner box. 

I replaced my Zamp PWM CC with a Victron MPPT CC which I installed beneath the street side bed and I had to connect the wiring from the solar panels to the wiring going to the Victron CC. That splice was done behind the original Zamp CC location.  And I found that solar panel wiring ran from the original Zamp CC location back to the attic and up into the inner/outer hull cavity and onto the combiner box.  It seems to be the same route mountainoliver mentions above.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Its the "snap" of the rubber gloves that always gave/gives me the "willies".  Of course there is always that sly smile on Steve's face when he says things like that!🥺

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

12 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

As early as April, 2015 they were molding wire chases into the upper inside hull to run the wiring down between the hulls to the rear attic space. I shot these photos on 04-29-2015.

image.png.f8d1061d1a4c89f41f111116656115f3.png

Steve:  Again you are providing a gold mine if great info.  THANK YOU!

So, with twin cast in place conduit runs, am I correct in thinking that as shown in the above "N9" picture:

• The left conduit (Street side) is provided for the pre-wired solar system feeds to the attic.
  • The right one,(Curb Side) that runs from the front closet area to the attic feeds attic area miscellaneous electrical needs.

I will for sure be up top this summer looking for that dimple.  I seem to recall seeing it and wonder "What's dat for?"  If so, it marks the "X" on the spot for buried treasure.  

Made my day!

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 4/15/2024 at 2:52 PM, Geronimo John said:

My trailer is supposed to be pre-wired for solar. 

I found a bundle of wires tucked away below the street side bed at the juncture of the upper wheel well and battery box against the outer shell. My thought at the time was these wires were part of the solar pre-wire setup. 

• Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

1 hour ago, Ronbrink said:

I found a bundle of wires tucked away below the street side bed at the juncture of the upper wheel well and battery box against the outer shell. My thought at the time was these wires were part of the solar pre-wire setup. 

That’s where I found the #6 welding cable and battery temperature sensor cable. I think that was the extent of the “solar pre wire” for my trailer.

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

1 minute ago, mountainoliver said:

That’s where I found the #6 welding cable and battery temperature sensor cable. I think that was the extent of the “solar pre wire” for my trailer.

I’ll have to take a closer look at the bundle next time I go to the Cow Barn. I kinda recall being told at time of delivery that the terminal ends can be accessed on the roof at a certain spot, as well as the aluminum plates for panel mounting, if ever solar was to be installed. 

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

On 1/3/2024 at 6:03 PM, Geronimo John said:
  On 1/3/2024 at 5:26 PM, jd1923 said:

I would mount mine with 3M VHB tape

I contacted RougeRV about their solar panels.  Ryoma's responses to my questions were:

A: The tape of this solar panel is mainly made of butyl rubber. We will sell this tape separately in the near future.
   B: 3M VHB does not seem to be stable enough to fix the solar panel frame to the car roof.
   C. We do not recommend excessive longitudinal bending >15°.

D,  It has 12 bypass diodes which have less impact on partial occlusion for partial sun/shade use.
    E. Its working environment range is -45
. There is such a risk if it exceeds or reaches the critical maximum temperature.

Basically they shot down my hope of a full coverage solar panel on our OE2 roof space from the max fan forward to the antenna and side to side to our awning mounts.  Also using 3M VHB tape to install.  

So, back to this layout.

image.png.b2689fe84fd49a88d21261fb66efaa3a.png

Edited by Geronimo John
typo
  • Sad 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

1 hour ago, Geronimo John said:

B: 3M VHB does not seem to be stable enough to fix the solar panel frame to the car roof.

AM solar has been using 3M VHB to mount solar panels for many years without issues from what I’ve heard. 

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderators

There are many types of vhb tape.

Anyone know which type AM Solar uses?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

There are many types of vhb tape.

I had no idea.  Yep you are right!  I'm not even going to ask how many butyl tapes there are.  Nope, not me.....

GJ

image.png.40c555cf89ef48916c9ab2aec27460f5.png

Edited by Geronimo John

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Yes, unless they have changed what they use now in the last 12 months, they have always used 3M VHB 4950. However, 4611 has a higher temperature range and is also commonly used. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

Further to my above post, here’s a thread from the AS forum with good info about VHB tape.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/3m-vhb-tape-204288.html

…and a Google search revealed VHB tape #5962 is actually best for fibreglass applications. That said, I also remember reading on a AS thread a few years ago where 3M stated VHB tape should be used in conjunction with mechanical fasteners. However, like I said before AM Solar have been using VHB tape, as well a bunch of people in the AS world without issues. 

• Thanks 1

Truma water heater & AC

40 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

Yes, unless they have changed what they use now in the last 12 months, they have always used 3M VHB 4950. However, 4611 has a higher temperature range and is also commonly used. 

I used 3M VHB 4950 on the panels on our (ex-) Bigfoot. The project was 4-5 years ago. I double the standard solar mounts, 8 vs. 4 to be extra safe. Each panel had eight times 3x1" VHB tape ONLY, no screws.

VHB is CERTAINLY all you need! Still holding strong and you don't have to put Dicor mess over top of it as VHB resists sun and weather nicely. 

Solar front view.jpg

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators
15 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

The type that came pre installed on the mounts I bought from AM Solar.😂🙈😂 And I also used Dicor to protect the VBH tape per AM's instructions.

Mossey

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 12:00 PM, mossemi said:

I replaced my Zamp PWM CC with a Victron MPPT CC which I installed beneath the street side bed and I had to connect the wiring from the solar panels to the wiring going to the Victron CC. That splice was done behind the original Zamp CC location.  And I found that solar panel wiring ran from the original Zamp CC location back to the attic and up into the inner/outer hull cavity and onto the combiner box.

We did the same by replacing our ZAMP PWM with the more efficient Victron MPPT unit, but we mounted ours on the forward bulkhead inside the compartment behind the Furrion.  The wiring for the solar modules were right there like @mossemi and @mountainoliver describe.  

Access was gained both by removing the Furrion and going through the deck plate on the forward bulkhead of the overhead storage compartment aft of the pantry.  Both were needed to get "hands-on" the mounting location.  Pic below taken from the overhead storage compartment looking forward through the deck plate opening:

Screenshot2024-04-19at6_14_57AM.thumb.png.40cc30b7d1e1646d6e311fc97444b674.png

We added Victron's remote gauge to monitor solar energy production in addition to their 7" touch screen.  The pic below isn't a very good snap but you can see the 7" screen (with protective cover attached) above the Furrion and to the right is a partial view of Victron's circular solar monitor:

Screenshot2024-04-19at6_23_34AM.thumb.png.d7ac0a6631f77e05b24235bd353daf67.png

We like the Victron features...

Cheers!

• Like 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

14 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I had no idea.  Yep you are right!  I'm not even going to ask how many butyl tapes there are.  Nope, not me.....

Idle ramblings of a rabbit hole opportunist!

• Haha 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

5 hours ago, mossemi said:

The type that came pre installed on the mounts I bought from AM Solar.😂🙈😂 And I also used Dicor to protect the VBH tape per AM's instructions.

Mossey

Dicor is generally used as an RV roof sealant, where the roof is penetrated, vent openings and screws holes. Using VHB only, there are no holes, no need for a roof sealant. Add Dicor if it makes you feel better, but it's unnecessary.

3m writes this re VHB 4950: "Resistance to solvents, temperature extremes, and U. V. Light make VHB products suitable for many interior and exterior applications." 4950.WD6 (3m.com) 

6 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Pic below taken from the overhead storage compartment looking forward through the deck plate opening:

Screenshot2024-04-19at6_14_57AM.thumb.png.40cc30b7d1e1646d6e311fc97444b674.png

I see you mounted the Victron CC flat, Victron recommend to install it vertically with the electrical terminals facing downwards. How long have you had it installed flat and any issues? Asking because I’m looking at adding a solar suitcase with Victron 100/30 CC mounted somewhere near the current 100/50 CC and 3000W inverter. 

Truma water heater & AC

@rich.dev am I seeing things, or are you? Hard to see the orientation fully, but it looks vertical to me. Notice the curve of the Oliver shell and the Furrion which is laid flat in the cabinet. Yes, the vertical direction allows air flow to aide in cooling.

On 6/29/2023 at 2:45 PM, SeaDawg said:

The belly in their photo is ridiculous. 

If it hold water, then their design would have challenges.

My concern with this one...

image.png.3931f579c2bc7c9f45f5fd0d3eb7f590.png

Is that it has a lot of moving parts and pieces = high maintenance starting the day after the warranty expires.....

I'm still holding out on the flexible direct adhered panels... except for the heat issue on fiberglass.   

GJ

5 hours ago, jd1923 said:

am I seeing things, or are you? Hard to see the orientation fully, but it looks vertical to me. Notice the curve of the Oliver shell and the Furrion which is laid flat in the cabinet. Yes, the vertical direction allows air flow to aide in cooling.

Oh my goodness yes, now I see it!😃 For whatever reason when I looked at it earlier today I was thinking it’s a view from the top down!🤪 

• Like 2

Truma water heater & AC

On 4/17/2024 at 5:52 AM, Ronbrink said:

On 4/17/2024 at 7:06 AM, mountainoliver said:

On 4/17/2024 at 7:13 AM, Ronbrink said:

I’ll have to take a closer look at the bundle next time I go to the Cow Barn. I kinda recall being told at time of delivery that the terminal ends can be accessed on the roof at a certain spot, as well as the aluminum plates for panel mounting, if ever solar was to be installed. 

To whomever is interested, perhaps someone can further explain the significance of these wires.

IMG_5552.thumb.jpeg.5f8f36bfac99e1df95e279f0f3730192.jpeg

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

To whomever is interested, perhaps someone can further explain the significance of these wires.

It looks like a bundle of Zamp Solar Panel to Charge Controller wire on top of the wheel well under the street side bed.  Edit:  I should have also mentioned that the wires are like a lamp cord in that both positive and negative are joined together.  Zamp sold the bundle of wires in 25 or 30 foot lengths, but I’m not sure which.  They run vertically up the wall to the radio cavity aft of the pantry.  The solar charge controller is usually located above the radio and the wires would be cut in the cavity and attached to the CC input and output.  The bundle in your picture would eventually go to batteries.

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 4:34 PM, jd1923 said:

Hard to see the orientation fully, but it looks vertical to me.

Exactly correct!  It's an optical illusion, but the CC is vertical... and seems to be happy in there!

• Like 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg