Camp Stoves: What is your favorite outdoor camp stove? -- I'm looking at stoves that will be compatible with the Oliver QuickConnect

Boudicca908

I searched extensively to find a quality propane grill with dual burners and separate controls.  I selected a Napoleon TravelQ TQ285 Grill.  This grill is currently $295 on Amazon (vs. $319 direct from Napoleon).  I managed to catch a sale for $250 on Amazon.  This grill has a clamshell style body with porcelain coating and weighs just under 30 pounds.  I also purchased a PORTAL Outdoor Folding Portable Picnic Camping Table to serve as a stand for the grill. The table was $80, but now listed on Amazon for $72.

Compact size was a critical selection criteria for both the grill and table, since I needed them to fit in a rear mounted cargo carrier.  Our tow vehicle is not a pickup truck, but a BMW X5.  I did not want to carry the grill within the TV.

Upon receipt of the grill, I modified the fuel feed to enable use of quick connect fittings for use with the low pressure propane connections on our LEII.  I also purchased a DOZYANT 18 feet Low Pressure Propane Quick-Connect Hose, $25 from Amazon.  Below is a photo showing connection for both high and low pressure propane supplies.

image.thumb.jpeg.71d8007037064d3a9153bf94193453a9.jpeg

The high pressure connection is on the right with a 1 lb. fuel container attached.  The low pressure quick connector is located to the lower left of the regulator.  The red handled valves control selection of the desired propane source.  The grill is shown with its folding legs extended.

This setup has proven quite satisfactory.  The grill easily reaches any temperature you would reasonably need for cooking.  The grates are cast iron.  There is also a griddle available for one side, which we have not purchased.  This grill lives in our rear mounted carrier, with a Champion Dual Fuel generator (also configured to use the low pressure propane connections on our LEII). See the packing arrangement below, including stabilizer bases, chocks, etc..

image.thumb.jpeg.db9699e87245ece9d69cffa8cfd9d8d6.jpegP

Prior to using the grill, I line the interior with aluminum foil.  The grill comes with a grease catch pan under the center, which I also line with foil.  The aluminum foil is easily discarded after use.  I scrub the grates with a grill brush and wipe them with paper towels.  I also wipe out the grill interior to remove any grease prior to storing the grill back in the cargo carrier.  We don't notice any odors from the grill following this procedure.

I highly recommend this grill.

Don

image.png

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, HDRider said:

II am trying to get a sense of how much heat it generates. 

It generates a lot of heat.  There are tons of videos on YouTube that can give you an accurate assessment of its cooking capabilities.  It gets hotter than the Weber.  Mike

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 6/22/2023 at 8:37 AM, Wandering Sagebrush said:

If I were to buy another camp stove, which I am not going to do, it would be a Partner Stove, probably their 18” two burner.  

We have that burner in a slide out tray in the back of our truck. It is a great stove. Plus, it's made here in Idaho! 

Kirk

• Like 7

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Thank you everyone for the great input, and also to other's questions about alternative uses, the use of pots and pans, weight, ease of storage, etc -- I am looking for one device that can grille and/or griddle but also cook in a pot. Unfortunately, I lost my father's 60-year-old gas Coleman and an inherited Weber Q-style in Hurricane Ian; I hadn't personally used either of these, so I'm starting from scratch. 

I keep thinking that I want a camp stove (for smaller size and weight, but mostly because burners are more conducive to using pots and pans, including a cast iron skillet).
Having read this review https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-many-btus-do-you-need-334918 I see that BTU measurements don't tell the whole story... 

For those who use the Blackstone, is it enough heat to truly sear a steak?  Do you recommend it with or without the hood?  Is it really carbon steel without a nonstick coating? That would be great -- oddly, I can't find that information on the website. 

The Coleman Road Trip also looks interesting; it produces 11,000 btus. I do see on the website it appears that the burners are adjustable to use either one side or the entire length; maybe it's only showing that one control is for the center burner and the other is for the outer ring?  https://www.coleman.com/grills-stoves/grills/roadtrip-225-portable-tabletop-propane-grill/SAP_2000033047.html

Someone mentioned a CampChef (in a related post) -- is it this? https://www.campchef.com/rainier-2-burner-grill-%26-stove-combo-|-camp-chef/CC-MSGGX.html  or this 

The Partner Stoves are very nice looking and light weight, but sadly out of my budget. I love that they are made here in the US. 

My brother suggested I could just buy a one-burner outdoor propane ring...  I see that many of those are high-output only, so might not be suitable for simmering (there are online complaints that the flames go out unless full-bore)... 

I looked at a Weber Traveler yesterday and it appears to be one burner across the entire section (all on or all off?) - I feel it would be too much for me as a single person. It's also a lot larger and heavier in life than I imagined; I would probably struggle getting it in and out of the back of my truck, with the current limitations from my hip replacement.  

Thanks @dhaig for the great photos of your hose assembly setup. I'm hoping that I can figure this out, whatever device I end up buying! There is one trailer supply place, about 45 minutes from me, and I'm gathering my info before I make a call and a trek out to them. 

• Like 3

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

6 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Someone mentioned a CampChef (in a related post) -- is it this? https://www.campchef.com/rainier-2-burner-grill-%26-stove-combo-|-camp-chef/CC-MSGGX.html  or this 

The Partner Stoves are very nice looking and light weight, but sadly out of my budget. I love that they are made here in the US. 

I did mention a Camp Chef Ranger 2 burner. This one is from Cabela's  https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/camp-chef-ranger-ii-2-burner-stove .

This model has the regulator in the hose line.  I removed the regulator and hose and put on a quick disconnect male fitting, so I could run a quick disconnect hose from the Oliver quick disconnect directly to the grill.  We use Cast iron skillets for all of our cooking inside and out.

The link you had above goes to a Camp Chef Rainer 2burner.  This model uses the bottles and it is high pressure and  will NOT work with the Oliver quick disconnects low pressure fittings. Some people do carrier an extra propane bottle, or hook directly into one of the Oliver tanks. Then you can use a high pressure propane line directly to the stove.

• Like 4

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

• Moderators

If all you want is cooking on cast iron (skillet, Dutch oven, smallish griddle), I'd stick with your brother's recommendation.we used to have a cast iron two burner. It was awesome. Left it with my cousin in Alaska, four or five years back. It was probably 40 years old then, and likely to do another 40, for someone else.

There are a few dual fuel butane/lp single burner small, super light burners out there. I've used the small butane, catering. No experience with lp. 

I hope you find your perfect solution.  My only lp single burner in my pack  is a jet boil backpack copycat. It's great, van  camping  in Iceland, and outages here, but requires a special canister. Not suitable for your purposes. Super small spider, mostly for emergencies,  or backpacking.

I'm sorry for your losses in the last hurricane, @Boudicca908.  Glad you and your trailer made it through. We're back in hurricane season, here in sw Florida.   Hugs and prayers for making it through the next big one.

Some folks in your area are still not home. It's totally devastating when there's a direct hit. 😢 

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Great thread!  Thanks to all for all the grilling/cooking perspectives - we love this exchange of information.  

We're on a road-trip this week (ABQ - DEN) and trying out our new custom "Disk-it" for the first time.  Made and patented by a friend who owns a fabrication shop in Albuquerque.  Comes with either a griddle or wok (we ended up getting both).  The custom "piece" comes in when one orders their laser-cut "symbol" on the Disk-it stand and on the griddle handles.  D opted for a "tree-of-life" symbol and our names on the handles.  Oops, sorry - probably quasi TMI; but this kit rocks!  The piezo-light 2-stage burner pumps out north of 75k BTUs.  The rig connects to the OTT front LPG port, folds-up and stows nicely in the truck bed.  

Griddled spicy shrimp, stuffed jalapeños, and mixed stir-fry last night - yum!

70925206123__4D022865-136E-431B-B5A9-306AD8378B27.thumb.jpeg.a7da20338d05a5010a9b272aecb03521.jpegIMG_7538.thumb.jpeg.e5cdd0af2e3744a01669e7e3a042cd7f.jpeg

"Ravel-On!" 

Cheers...

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

16 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

If all you want is cooking on cast iron (skillet, Dutch oven, smallish griddle), I'd stick with your brother's recommendation.we used to have a cast iron two burner. It was awesome. Left it with my cousin in Alaska, four or five years back. It was probably 40 years old then, and likely to do another 40, for someone else.

There are a few dual fuel butane/lp single burner small, super light burners out there. I've used the small butane, catering. No experience with lp. 

I hope you find your perfect solution.  My only lp single burner in my pack  is a jet boil backpack copycat. It's great, van  camping  in Iceland, and outages here, but requires a special canister. Not suitable for your purposes. Super small spider, mostly for emergencies,  or backpacking.

I'm sorry for your losses in the last hurricane, @Boudicca908.  Glad you and your trailer made it through. We're back in hurricane season, here in sw Florida.   Hugs and prayers for making it through the next big one.

Some folks in your area are still not home. It's totally devastating when there's a direct hit. 😢 

@SeaDawg thank you -- I decided on the Blackstone, all things considered, and after all my research, I feel sure I'll be very happy with it.  Though I love cooking and do bring my own carbon steel, cast iron, Futura pressure cooker, etc, I can see advantages in simply cooking directly on a griddle much of the time. I can't wait, because it will be moving all that heat and grease splatter out of my Oliver! And part of the beauty of the Blackstone is double-duty during powerless hurricanes and other emergencies....   I also ordered the conversion kit from propanegear.com (hat tip to Oliver Owners Forum for the BEST information and links!) -- those people were very helpful and I'll have it by next week. 

Campstoves -- I have my favorite backpacking stove (Trangia) that I kept from my cross-country bike-camping days. For Hurricane Ian I bought fuel for it. 

Regards Hurricane Ian, thanks for the kind words -- I feel pretty darned lucky, actually. Many friends are still homeless, and lost everything. Many households have taken in family and friends. We must be in the same general vicinity. 

Thanks everyone! 

• Like 4

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

PIT BOSS PB336GS Two Burner Portable Flat Top Griddle - Cover Included.

I store it in the front basket strapped down with bungee cords. When cooking I remove the cover, hook up the gas, and cook with it sitting in the basket.

image.png.954090ba74f51ab332c1b82f54fd8fec.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

David & Kim | Chattanooga, TN | 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4, Hemi 6.4 | Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull# 1213

OllietimeCanadianProvinces.jpg.1e1f1e5bcc91acfa35375b7652b3b852.jpgOllietime US States.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 4:33 PM, Ollietime said:

When cooking I remove the cover, hook up the gas, and cook with it sitting in the basket.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable lighting a flame right in front of my tanks.  

My Blackstone was initiated last night when I reached my destination in North Dakota. I'm very pleased with it! 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Ditto.

I'm always suspect of the sticky trailers with the "slide-out" grills, or cleats to mount a grill, right next to the wall. 

Not for me. I like a bit of space from the camper.

Glad you like the Blackstone. 👍

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 7/17/2023 at 2:36 PM, Boudicca908 said:

My Blackstone was initiated last night when I reached my destination in North Dakota. I'm very pleased with it! 

For my self, I am not fearful of propane, just have a respect for it.   My father was a serviceman for propane installs and service of propane appliance.  I grew up with a respect of propane, and being cautious with propane. I'm always making sure  line connections are good and lines are in good condition, and try to be cautious with everything I do .  I am more worried about the propane lines running under the trailer that they could be nicked by rocks/road debris , or rubbing and wear of the lines in a moving vehicle/TT.  I don't like cooking right next to the trailer, because of the grease splatter.  That is what picnic tables are for.  I also carry a small table to set the grill/stove on if a picnic table is not available. I am just as respectful of the 2 burner propane stove in the camper.  With all of the electrical things in the trailer, a leak anywhere could be dangerous. ( always makesure you have good ventilation when cooking inside.

When I was is my mid 20's. I came home one night and smelled Natural gas outside of the house (1953 home).  I was unable to determine where the leak was at, and I didn't enter the house. I contacted public service from the neighbors, within 20 minutes a technician arrived. About 1.5 hours later they were tearing up the street with large equipment. They had a 20 foot section of the street  torn up to replace a section of  main line pipe. They then ran a new feed line from the street to the house and meter. It was an older subdivision, and they checked the rest of the subdivision and found no other leaks.  We had multiple leaks in the street and across the yard. They started digging at 10PM and finish by 7AM the next morning.  I was the talk of the neighborhood that week.  Safety first.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

What is your favorite outdoor camp stove?

Mine is NOT compatible with the Oliver's propane, but this is my cooking setup.

Snow Peak Iron Grille Table (IGT) with a variety of inserts depending on what we're cooking.

IMG_9476.thumb.jpeg.8f79ffe7c2af1f587d22642f8dd53400.jpeg

IMG_9485.thumb.jpeg.bad89aceb604b32f405caee1d98b9e72.jpeg

IMG_7735.thumb.jpeg.f63b970a7d6d52c0746d3a666705b807.jpeg

IMG_7312.thumb.jpeg.66875ad6abceacde219d1dedf38ba5cc.jpeg

IMG_7497.thumb.jpeg.3f7fdb7203bb1ef5b444250f69562ac7.jpeg

• Like 7

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators

Wow!  That’s quite a set up, I’ll bet some tasty dishes have been created there.  I’m more of a caveman, steak on the grill with a veggie, glass of wine, voila - dinner.  Mike

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Why is it so hard to find low pressure grills and stove?

This year We started using the Nomadiq grill. https://www.amazon.com/NOMADIQ-Portable-Lightweight-Tabletop-Tailgating/dp/B08588PLK8/ref=asc_df_B08588PLK8/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416696576536&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=961126175319737280&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003291&hvtargid=pla-900043571940&ref=&adgrpid=92049668097&th=1

It's low pressure out of the box, no regulator built onto the grill itself. It comes supplied with hose and regulator to work off a small Coleman LP bottle.  I opted to purchase their adapter hose to allow direct hookup to Ollie. https://www.amazon.com/nomadiQ-Adapter-Hose-Portable-Grill/dp/B09MDJ5M75/ref=pd_bxgy_sccl_2/138-2326693-0637356?pd_rd_w=z118w&content-id=amzn1.sym.26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_p=26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_r=ADVPY0FTH99QWGZCH486&pd_rd_wg=t3Oiv&pd_rd_r=82bf38df-5095-4974-9182-eb1158b627de&pd_rd_i=B09MDJ5M75&psc=1

It works great for us, Cooks really well, lightweight and small foot print when folded. When I want to use the cast iron skillet, I have a one burner low pressure stove https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFL5D3R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that fits the bill.

• Like 3

Jeff Simone and Katie Thibodeau

2021 Oliver Elite II Hull # 802

Tow Vehicle; 2018 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 6.0 Liter Vortec

We love our electric nonstick  Blackstone! We have both the gas and electric but prefer the electric. We also have a Weber 1200 grill but we always end up just using the Blackstone. 

IMG_6512.jpeg

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

I opted for the 17" Blackstone with the lid. Normally, I would just leave it sitting on the picnic table, but I'm thinking about critters (rodents) that might decide to help themselves, and the lid doesn't fit tightly enough to prevent their entry. The fabric bag won't stop any rodent that is determined to get in there. Does anyone have a solution to this, besides moving the grill each night? 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Boudicca908 said:

I opted for the 17" Blackstone with the lid. Normally, I would just leave it sitting on the picnic table, but I'm thinking about critters (rodents) that might decide to help themselves, and the lid doesn't fit tightly enough to prevent their entry. The fabric bag won't stop any rodent that is determined to get in there. Does anyone have a solution to this, besides moving the grill each night? 

We’ve been using the 17” Blackstone when camping for several years.  No lid.  I do have a cover that fits pretty well.  It needs to be covered, not necessarily for varmints but because dust, leaves, twigs, etc will end up on the cooking surface.  In areas where bears are present I put the grill in the bed of the truck under the tonneau cover.  Other areas I’ve never had an issue with critters getting under, or through, the cover.  I just ensure it’s clean after use and we’ve been fine.  At home I use a 22” Blackstone (with cover) that sits outside and no issues either.  

• Like 5

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Is your grill on a solid table surface (not slats)? I'd probably find a big storage bin, cover it with the bin upside down (no lid) after it cools, and put a weight/rock on top.

Not had a problem with our grill. Yet.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

20 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Is your grill on a solid table surface

The picnic table has skinny slats but I think I'll just cover the surface, close the lid and strap it down when I'm not using it. We have some crazy winds here, and things move around in the night. I'm working on buying another propane tank and hose with regulator to dedicate to the griddle, since my quick-connects are not an option and my friend and I want to go boondocking on our days off from the volunteer job. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes, you do have crazy winds in the Dakotas. 

We've driven through ND and SD in motorhomes, and felt like the wind could overturn us at times. Steely knuckles. 

Same in other windy locations.

Never open more than one door at a time. Try to park where the door opens on the leeward (downwind) side. Especially those days when it's blowing like crazy. You can crease, fold back, or lose a door. I've seen it. Fortunately,  not let it happen to us.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

9 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Never open more than one door at a time. Try to park where the door opens on the leeward (downwind) side. Especially those days when it's blowing like crazy. You can crease, fold back, or lose a door. I've seen it. Fortunately,  not let it happen to us.

This is great advice -- I've never heard of a vehicle or trailer creasing. Nothing like witnessing an event to drive it home. I watched a (poorly loaded?) travel trailer sway on the interstate and roll, taking the TV into the ditch. I'll never forget that. Winds are curious because they do unexpected things around static objects (buildings, other vehicles). I have some great straps for tie-down, and lots of big rocks, and they're necessary for daily living here. In spite of that, I've noticed very little blown debris on the roadsides. I had forgotten what it was like to drive down a highway and see pristine landscape, whether farm field, forest or rolling plain. 

• Like 2

For anyone with a Blackstone Griddle (17" or 22") -- I had an issue the other day: when I went to remove the 1-lb cylinder from the regulator (so I could drive down the road and not have it bouncing around) the brass tip of the regulator came OFF the regulator and stayed IN the cylinder. This meant that all the remaining propane came spewing out. No fun, and wasteful. The odd thing was that when I retrieved the brass tip (using needle-nose pliers, because the nut section was recessed into the well in the can) I didn't find any sort of gasket or see any residue of pipe dope, and I thought it was odd. I placed a ticket online with Blackstone hadn't heard back. My friend and I kept thinking that SURELY there would be a gasket in there; it's brass to some other gray-colored metal on the regulator.

I had already searched Blackstone's website and manual for better information and photos or diagrams of that regulator. Then I decided to search online for other websites with photos -- Amazon, the ubiquitous search machine, provided a key photo that showed that end of the device and I could see a black gasket in there. THEN I remembered a black gasket I found near my truck, I pulled it out of my little 'lost and found' container...  how about that!  I called Blackstone's number to see if I could verify that there wasn't another gasket or pipe dope missing. Their phone service person kept referring to the brass tip as "broken" and saying that "this happens a lot and we just send you a replacement" and I kept trying to explain to her that it didn't "Break Off" it had merely come unscrewed (threaded same direction as the propane cylinder).  She asked if I would send her photos, and I obliged and she exclaimed, "OH! I didn't know that piece was threaded because all I could see was that black thing."  

So for all the bad reviews and complaints on the regulators not working -- I have to wonder what percentage have this happen. I'm going to attach photos in case anyone runs into this. If a person didn't pay attention, the brass tip might be tossed with the spent cylinder.

I'm still not certain whether it needs pipe dope or tape, and also not certain how tightly I should screw this down. I don't have a tool that fits OVER the tip and INTO the well (I checked) so needle-nose pliers are all I have to work with... thoughts and suggestions welcome. 

brass tip separate from regulator.jpeg

image of replacement reg.jpeg

gasket on brass tip.jpeg

reassembled unit.jpeg

• Like 3

• Moderators

Seems like there should be a gasket in there.  I don’t use the small cylinders, camping I put the Blackstone on the trailer QC and at home I use a 20lb tank.  Maybe someone who uses the cylinders can comment.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2