Storing an Oliver

SYoung

7 minutes ago, Bryan in NC said:

@Patriot, very nice setup.  Are you accepting reservations 🙂 

Thanks @Bryan in NC it really makes a huge difference having our Ollie covered. Washing and waxing in the shade makes the work a bit more enjoyable. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderators
6 hours ago, CRM said:

@SeaDawg Did you upgrade to the two step steps, or did yours come that way? Our Hull 45 came with a single step only and was wondering if it's a simple upgrade or if they attach in a different manor requiring fabrication?

Our 2008 came with the original single step, and we used a stool as a second step for several years. My short legs, and one flip of that sturdy stool, for me, at a crazy hilly campsite in Tennessee,  prompted us to upgrade to the double step when it came available. 

It's a bolt on. A great "upgrade" for us, standard for all the new folks. Best double step in the marketplace. Superbly constructed. Way overbuilt, but that's the Oliver way.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
On 8/5/2023 at 4:55 PM, Boudicca908 said:

Do you mind sharing what product you use? 
Also, what you use for washing? 

We used 3m marine  ultra paste wax for many years, boats and trailer,  early spring and fall. Amazing uv protection. It's been, sadly, discontinued.

When we used up the last of our 3m ultra marine, we switched to another Practical Sailor tested, and highly recommended paste wax, Collinite. 

Collinite is definitely more difficult to apply, but great testing and reviews. 

There are other products from Collinite,  and other brands, available in a liquid form, for easier application.  We're old school, and hate to mess with success, but, we'll consider those, as it gets harder to do the paste wax. 

Check out Practical Sailor testing and reviews.  Imo, it's important to remain consistent with product. And,xthere are many great products our there, today. 

Ps, you asked about wash. We use the west marine pink soap. We don't want to wash the wax away.  I don't remember the name, but I can look it up in the bills. 

Edit to add: it has a very fancy name, so I didn't remember it. "boat soap," lol.

This one. It goes on sale several times a year. It's quite concentrated, so a gallon lasts a long time, even with regular washes. You can carry a pint or quart in a small container when traveling, instead of the whole big jug.

It's biodegradable, and doesn't strip wax like some cheap soaps (and dish detergent.)

Maguire's, Starbrite, and other big names in the marine world offer really good options, as well. We've found the West Marine to be pretty cost effective for our little "fleet" of fiberglass vessels and trailer. 

Screenshot_20230806_200021_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Back to the original op idea.

Is it wonderful to have a dedicated,  shaded, enclosed storage solution for your Oliver.

Sure. I often have "storage envy." 

We lesser mortals, and those with lot  line constraints,  and hoa, city constraints,  can definitely make it work. 

Wax on, wax off. 😃

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 8/5/2023 at 8:32 PM, SeaDawg said:

<snip>. We lesser mortals, and those with lot  line constraints,  and hoa, city constraints,  can definitely make it work. 

Wax on, wax off. 😃

Paraphrasing Groucho (with considerable license), any neighborhood who would allow a resident like me, I wouldn’t want to live in anyway.

At this stage in life, any town with a stoplight is far too big.

Here’s another soap/wax that does a reasonable job.  Far easier than Collinite.

image.jpeg.41b206472e153d57745af495df7625fb.jpeg

• Care 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

We store ours in an old warehouse, converted to RV and boat storage. Paid $90/mo in 2022 and $100 for 2023.

Just had it washed and coated with Magiar's ceramic coating. I can plug in to keep the batteries full, and the battery warmer on in the winter. No room to build and strict HOA rules

PXL_20230809_150138341.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

25 minutes ago, John Dorrer said:

We store ours in an old warehouse, converted to RV and boat storage. Paid $90/mo in 2022 and $100 for 2023.

Where do you live, and how far a drive? That price is crazy cheap compared to major cities. That looks like a really nice facility. I assume it has security cameras?

One reason we added an RV bay when we built our house seven years ago was the cost of secure INSIDE storage.  It is $350+ here. I figured the bay paid for itself already, it was a $30k option, but that charge included fully sheet rocked walls there (and in the garage at no extra cost.) Add the cost of fuel and lost time in traffic for going to a storage place, those factors can really hurt.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane  WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

No question - covered storage is the best!  Having that kind of storage at your home has to be absolutely wonderful.

Unfortunately, I've got neither close to me.  However, several years ago I found a place 10 miles from the house with fenced storage and 24 hour camera for $200 per year!  The CalMark I bought for the Ollie 8 years ago is still going strong.  Can't complain too much.

Bill

• Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Here’s another soap/wax that does a reasonable job.  Far easier than Collinite.

image.jpeg.41b206472e153d57745af495df7625fb.jpeg

I assume that the small bottle is liquid wax?

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

39 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Where do you live, and how far a drive? That price is crazy cheap compared to major cities. That looks like a really nice facility. I assume it has security cameras?

One reason we added an RV bay when we built our house seven years ago was the cost of secure INSIDE storage.  It is $350+ here. I figured the bay paid for itself already, it was a $30k option, but that charge included fully sheet rocked walls there (and in the garage at no extra cost.) Add the cost of fuel and lost time in traffic for going to a storage place, those factors can really hurt.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane  WA

We live in Carmel, IN. The storage place is up I-69 in Muncie, IN. This was a very lucky find. There wasn't one open spot come winter. Also, you can't just come and pick-up or drop-off your trailer. I text the manager a couple days ahead and he has the bay doors open and is waiting for me. I can have it at home for a few days before or after a trip. The hour drive each way is a bit much, but I would be paying $300+/- for just a covered roof and no shore hook-up.

• Like 2

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

• Moderators

@Wandering Sagebrush, if I were going to change to a liquid wax, I'd study practical sailor tests, which would probably lead me to a Starbrite, or Collinite,  product. 

I think the woody wax likely requires multiple coats. Since we store outside, I really need the uv protection built into the wax. 

If you like it, all good. I'm not at all familiar with that particular product. 

Woody wax for nonskid deck applications is highly rated, on all the sailing forums, where you don't want to slide barefoot on the deck!

In 2009 (I know, a long time ago), practical sailor tested both liquid and paste waxes in the florida sun, near me, in Sarasota. 

I tend to follow their recommendations from testing, as they don't take promotions from advertising.  Kind of like the consumer reports, of the fiberglass world.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

All this discussion about storing our Olivers has me re-thinking things again. For the first 5 years of ownership we kept ours in a covered, not enclosed, RV storage facility until they raised their prices to absurd levels. We pulled out. For this winter I am thinking about leaving our Ollie down in the SW probably Utah. Have a trip planned to rendezvous with an old buddy for some adventurous hiking and just might store for the winter rather than bring it back to MT. 

• Like 3

Legacy Elite II #70

Construction is just starting on our detached garage for the Ollie and truck. We were shocked at how much construction costs have risen. So much so that we had to downsize our plan from 3 bays to 2 and a half and cut the footprint by 6 feet in both dimensions. Even with those changes it's still going to cost us $80-90,000. For a garage! 😕

• Wow 4
  • Sad 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Ouch! 😳  That is expensive!  

Lessons I’ve learned from our recent purchase of new home and shop are keep the doors as wide and tall as you can. The truck camper clears the 12’ tall door with about an inch to spare, and the old trailer had about 6” clearance on each side.  Both had my pucker factor at high alert due to uneven terrain.  It’s so much easier with the Ollie!

• Like 7

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

So much so that we had to downsize our plan from 3 bays to 2 and a half and cut the footprint by 6 feet in both dimensions. Even with those changes it's still going to cost us $80-90,000. For a garage! 😕

Quite true. Wood/lumber goes up and down. Steel, aluminum, gypsum   and cement are all so much higher than several years ago, when we built a barn in NC. 

One of my brothers sells pole barns. It's a battle keeping "current " with pricing. 

Prices locally are all over the place. One lumber yard a couple days ago quoted me $18.50 a stick for 2 x 6 x 12 southern yellow pine. I wound up paying $12 a stick,  for nice, prime grade, syp, at a different yard. (We picked up.)

With the Canadian fires, I think all builders are questioning what the prices will do in a few months. It's a roll of the dice.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well, construction has finally started on our 30x30' garage. Unfortunately those excavators are blocking access to our yard so "Eggcelsior" is homeless for the moment and living in a campground nearby.

PXL_20230825_163739803.thumb.jpg.3ce31df2f0380368a1089f695c92e177.jpg

Cement work is supposed to be next week. After that Eggcelsior can come home again.

• Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:
4 hours ago, routlaw said:

I would be lying if I didn’t say I am so jealous, a 30x30 garage! Good luck 

Me too.

Me three!

• Like 1

Near Asheville, NC

@Steph and Dud B:  Congrats on your new build project, guarantee that you'll love your new Ollie-dedicated garage!  

We have a 30'x30'-er as well and it serves as our workshop and general "Man-cave".  Gone are those days of winterizing!  Consider an exterior 30AMP plug, soft water, and septic access for that occasional visitor...

image.thumb.jpeg.0e0fba006245c860b43f1c7921af06e9.jpeg

Please keep us posted regarding your build project progress...

Cheers!

• Like 5

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Starting clearing for our 30'x36' garage a few weeks ago as well! Probably not going to finish it this year before the snow flies here in northern Minnesota though which brings up some other issues. I did secure a winter indoor storage facility for $100/month though and they will let me plug it in which is a bonus! 

Question for the collective minds though, they only have 15 amp receptacles on the wall and, will that allow it to keep the batteries full and warmed by the battery heaters? The facility is not heated so I'm concerned whether or not I should remove the batteries for the winter as we quite often get below 0F in January and February. 2021 LE2 with the platinum solar package. I will have 24/7 access if need be and will still have to winterize the plumbing systems.

Garage Clearing.jpg

2021 LE II - Hull 922 - "Ollie Be Back"

2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)