Newbies taking the plunge - Are we missing anything

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Any feedback?

The Andersen ramps are great.

But - you can certainly make the Andersen "Blocks" a bunch cheaper.  Find or buy a treated 6x6 piece of lumber.  Cut into a couple of pieces of between 10 and 11 inches.  If you want to get fancy you can put a handle on them and give them a coat or two of sealer.

Then, unlike the Andersen blocks you can use these on end for 10 to 11 inches (note that this is about the distance to the bottom of the jacks on level ground minus an inch or two) or you can lay these on their side for a 5 to 6 inch height.

Keep your eye out for someone building a new house and/or deck.  Many time this is the place where you can ask for "cut-offs" that are just the right size for your purpose.

Bill

p.s.  another "benefit" is that if you ever drive off without them you don't have to beat yourself up over the cost of getting new ones.😃

P1000871.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Dennis and Melissa

The Anderson link you provided seem a lot of $$$. You really do need to get the blocks to go under the electric jacks so the jacks are not out really long. As topgun2 said you can cut some 2x6 wood for using to go under the wheels to level the trailer when on camp sites that are not level. You will also want to get some wheel chocks. I guess if the $$$ do not bother you then your suggested link items gives you all the items you would need.

I have the Proven Lock system to lock up the bull-dog hitch. I recommend it. It cost a little more than what you are proposing but is far more secure.

Also, I did get the Oliver shower curtain. Their curtain not only keeps the compost toilet area dry but it can also extend to in front of the door so you can leave the bathroom door open during a shower. I like OTT shower curtain a lot and IMO works better than anything that I could have installed myself.

What battery (or solar) package did you decide on?

Happy camping. Time will go by fast now that you have ordered.

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

1 hour ago, dewdev said:

Dennis and Melissa

The Anderson link you provided seem a lot of $$$. You really do need to get the blocks to go under the electric jacks so the jacks are not out really long. As topgun2 said you can cut some 2x6 wood for using to go under the wheels to level the trailer when on camp sites that are not level. You will also want to get some wheel chocks. I guess if the $$$ do not bother you then your suggested link items gives you all the items you would need.

I have the Proven Lock system to lock up the bull-dog hitch. I recommend it. It cost a little more than what you are proposing but is far more secure.

Also, I did get the Oliver shower curtain. Their curtain not only keeps the compost toilet area dry but it can also extend to in front of the door so you can leave the bathroom door open during a shower. I like OTT shower curtain a lot and IMO works better than anything that I could have installed myself.

What battery (or solar) package did you decide on?

Happy camping. Time will go by fast now that you have ordered.

"I have the Proven Lock system to lock up the bull-dog hitch. I recommend it. It cost a little more than what you are proposing but is far more secure."

I have the same lock.  It's heavy, but more secure than just a padlock.

John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

WE need - demand - pictures.

If you can't prove it - did it ever actually happen?🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

City Water newbie question (I've searhced the forum, but fear what I read is dated)

Do y'all use: Water Pressure Regulater and/or External water filter??

P.S. I have no pictures yet 😞

2024 OLEII - Hull MDIV, born 3/13/24

Ram 1500  5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, 6’4” box, crew cab

visited-united-states-map.png

Yes to both.

IMO the water pressure regulator is important as you never know what water pressure is going to be at a campground. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

I believe that Oliver does still provide a water pressure regulator at delivery (check with your Oliver Sales person about this).

However, even if Oliver does still supply this - it is a fairly generic one and there are better ones available that allow you to set the pressure that you want to come into your Ollie (the generic ones are usually pre-set at 45 psi) plus they allow you to see what the pressure is at the source (like THIS ONE).  I highly recommend getting or at least using the one from Oliver at all times.  

Water filters are another matter.

If you only fill your fresh water tank from a known quality source and/or only use the city water inlet from that same source then you do not necessarily need to have a water filter.  But, this is not the normal situation and a water filter can help protect you from getting all sorts of things into your Ollie water system.  The "all sorts of things" will depend on where you get your water from.  A couple of years ago I had to pump water into my fresh water tank directly from a stream.  I was glad that I had a filter to keep any possible creepy crawlies out of the tank!    In addition, there are those that couple a water softener with the filter.  If you live and/or travel in hard water areas of the country this is something to consider too.

Bill 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

We always use a pressure regulator.  I carry the simple brass non-adjustable as a back up, but use an adjustable regulator.  Why a backup?  We were camped in AZ and the weather was only supposed to get down to the mid 30s so I left everything hooked up.  When we got up it was 28 and my hose and regulator were frozen solid.  The hose thawed out fine but the regulator was stuck at what it froze at.

If we’re only going to be someplace 1 or 2 nights and I need to connect to city water I usually just use the big blue filter.  If we’re staying a while, I use the Culligan filter and our water softener.

BTW, some campgrounds require/recommend a pressure regulator due to high pressure water supply.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

3 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Yes, and yes.  Water quality and pressure vary widely from campground to campground. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

2 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

We will arrive at the mothership with these in the truck:

We took those same two items (a quality pressure regulator with gauge and an inline water filter) with us when taking delivery in November, 2022.  We used them at every campground stop on the way back to Idaho.  I put the pressure regulator on the "upstream" side, with the water filter immediately downstream of the regulator, then a short length of hose to connect to the city water inlet.

FWIW, I noted that water pressure varied significantly at the places we camped.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Yep - #2 not #1.

Or, you could ask the campground where you have the reservation if they could move you or if the site you have reserved also has a 30 amp plug at the pedestal - many do.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

What about an external surge protector?  I know the 24s come with an internal one.  I'm assuming that's all I need.

See this thread:

There are two views:  (1) the EMS built into your Oliver is enough, and it's immune to theft and, the contrary group (2) double protection helps some of us sleep better at night, even at the risk of an external protector "growing legs." 

As noted in the above-referenced thread, I carry a Power Watchdog.  It not only provides peace of mind, but it has detected bad wiring at more than one campground pedestal (by just not allowing power to get to the trailer).

On the topic of "What are we forgetting":  I recommend a quality 50-ft. 30A power cord.  I bought ours in case we ended up having to park the trailer further from the pedestal than the stock Oliver 30A cord would reach.  I  have not yet needed it for that purpose.  But, I use the stock Oliver 30A power cable to keep our Hull #1291 plugged in to the 30A receptacle in the shed where I park it.  Last fall, I was glad to have that backup 50-footer stowed away in the "basement" of the Oliver when we arrived at our state park campsite, because I found I had absentmindedly left the shorter Oliver cable in the shed when I disconnected it from the shore power receptacle!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Belt and suspenders is never an issue.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

My wife likes suspenders.  So, I think we've decided to go with this set.

If I'm thinking clearly, it will allow me external surge protection for both 50 and 30 amp hookups.

image.png.51bcbea31136ae1856072bc1b733878f.png

• Like 1

• Moderator+
19 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

My wife likes suspenders.  So, I think we've decided to go with this set.

image.png.51bcbea31136ae1856072bc1b733878f.png

Those are nice suspenders. But will they hold your britches up?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

On the topic of "What are we forgetting":  I recommend a quality 50-ft. 30A power cord

Given the few times that I've ever needed the extra length, I purchased a 12 gauged 50 foot extension cord.  Sure, the two times in 8 years that I've needed it I could only use one electric device at a time (i.e. you can only use the air conditioner OR the microwave but NOT both at the same time).  This cord is lighter, smaller and a bunch less expensive.  Presently Harbor Freight has one on sale for $30.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

If I'm thinking clearly, it will allow me external surge protection for both 50 and 30 amp hookups.

That is correct!

Mossey

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

12 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Those are nice suspenders. But will they hold your britches up?

That, detective, is the right question.

We will all find out in about a month. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Given the few times that I've ever needed the extra length, I purchased a 12 gauged 50 foot extension cord. 

That works great, if you have both:  (1) a 30A female to 15A male adapter and (2) a 15A receptacle on the pedestal.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg