I miss my Olly

thirddoor

Our first travel trailer was an EII. We loved it. Just enough space and no more.

Lived in it full time for nearly 2 years, but pandemic and a serious back injury made us re-think many things.

Built a house, sold the Olly and purchased a much larger trailer.

It’s great, bigger tanks, queen bed, dry bath, bigger fridge… very civilized.

This winter we decided to take our first long trip in the new RV. All other trips have been local (really local) and the truck and trailer did great.

This latest trip has been an eye-opener.

New trailer is an absolute wind brick. Mileage plummets above 45 (yeah, 45).

Average for the whole trip has been 8mpg!

I now realize just how fantastic the Olly was to tow.

Super obedient, never felt the wind, often forgot it was back there.

12 - 14mpg regularly.

Easy to park, clearance was never an issue.

So warm and cool (new one is NOT 4-season and basically follows ambient temps).

Seriously started looking at classifieds for a gently used Oliver.

Sometimes, you don’t know what you got until it’s gone.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 11
  • Care 1
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 2

2019 Legacy Elite II #488 - Delivery July 24, 2019
2018 F150 Platinum SC SB EB - Leer canopy

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

We did it the other way around. Had a 34' standard travel trailer with a single large slide from 1996 to 2002. Sold and went without due to other family priorities until we decided to jump back in late 20-teens. We knew we didn't want anything large this time around having experienced all the headaches of the large stick and staple camper. Settled on the LE2 and ordered just over a year ago. Fortunately we learned many lessons the first time around and couldn't be happier with the LE2. Plenty of used ones hitting the market lately so you should have no trouble picking one up. Good luck!

• Like 6

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

LOL, we went big first in a 39' Fleetwood Discoverer Class-A, then a 29' Bigfoot Class-C and now just getting into an older Oliver! It climbs the AZ highways and dirt roads nicely. I'll get use to the small bed with time! 🙂

• Like 6

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

5 hours ago, jd1923 said:

LOL, we went big first in a 39' Fleetwood Discoverer Class-A, then a 29' Bigfoot Class-C and now just getting into an older Oliver! It climbs the AZ highways and dirt roads nicely. I'll get use to the small bed with time! 🙂

Funny you mention getting used to a small bed. We sleep in a king size at home and share it with two dogs 😏. I've been practicing for the Oliver for several years as my portion of the bed is about 1/4th. I'm pretty good with it because I have no problem sharing my compact twin in the Ollie with the same two dogs. 😍

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

States Visited Map

9 hours ago, thirddoor said:

Our first travel trailer was an EII. We loved it. Just enough space and no more.

Lived in it full time for nearly 2 years, but pandemic and a serious back injury made us re-think many things.

Built a house, sold the Olly and purchased a much larger trailer.

It’s great, bigger tanks, queen bed, dry bath, bigger fridge… very civilized.

This winter we decided to take our first long trip in the new RV. All other trips have been local (really local) and the truck and trailer did great.

This latest trip has been an eye-opener.

New trailer is an absolute wind brick. Mileage plummets above 45 (yeah, 45).

Average for the whole trip has been 8mpg!

I now realize just how fantastic the Olly was to tow.

Super obedient, never felt the wind, often forgot it was back there.

12 - 14mpg regularly.

Easy to park, clearance was never an issue.

So warm and cool (new one is NOT 4-season and basically follows ambient temps).

Seriously started looking at classifieds for a gently used Oliver.

Sometimes, you don’t know what you got until it’s gone.

Hey David, I checked out your web journal and it's amazing. Stunning photos and great reviews. This is an awesome tool for folks like us that are really just getting started. Thanks for sharing your great experiences! Hopefully you guys will be back in the fold soon with another Oliver. 

• Like 5

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Thanks for this post!  Our Oliver is our first travel trailer as well.  Your experience is good info for folks like us that occasionally look at the bigger trailers and think something about them might be nice.  We’ll be sticking with what we’ve got!  Mike

• Like 8

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Our Jolli Olli is our first travel trailer. 2 year anniversary is approaching and we couldn't be happier. Came from a pop-up truck camper, and the Olli interior is perfect for us and our lab 

• Like 6

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

4 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Thanks for this post!  Our Oliver is our first travel trailer as well.  Your experience is good info for folks like us that occasionally look at the bigger trailers and think something about them might be nice.  We’ll be sticking with what we’ve got!  Mike

Bigger is not always better, especially when you get older and maintaining a massive trailer or Class A gets to be a chore.  I bought the OTT to get outdoors.  I go home to be in a big house.   Nothing beats the size, beauty and luxury of a brick and mortar home. I certainly don’t want wheels on it. 

• Like 8

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jason Foster said:

I bought the OTT to get outdoors.  I go home to be in a big house.   Nothing beats the size, beauty and luxury of a brick and mortar home. I certainly don’t want wheels on it. 

Nor do I want to drag a "home" behind me. We bought the Ollie to camp. We did not want to drive or drag a rolling "billboard" through the winds. It's definitely not fun. Been there, done that, and done with it, 16 years ago.

It's actually kind of amazing, but we spend close to six months, some years, in the space of my walk-in closet. Well, not actually.  The outdoors is huge, where we really live. 

• Like 7

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 1/23/2024 at 6:52 AM, Mike and Carol said:

There's much to like about our current trailer, but for all-around usefulness, the Olly is really hard to beat!

• Like 3
  • Care 1

2019 Legacy Elite II #488 - Delivery July 24, 2019
2018 F150 Platinum SC SB EB - Leer canopy

On 1/23/2024 at 2:53 PM, Jason Foster said:

when you get older...maintaining a massive trailer or Class A gets to be a chore.

One of the reasons we got rid of our fifth wheel and bought the Ollie. 

• Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

On 1/23/2024 at 2:24 PM, SeaDawg said:

It's actually kind of amazing, but we spend close to six months, some years, in the space of my walk-in closet.

My Oliver would actually fit in the closet I built for my wife, lengthwise, anyway.  

On 1/23/2024 at 2:24 PM, SeaDawg said:

The outdoors is huge, where we really live. 

This is where I come to life.  We live in the country, but it just isn't country enough.  The Oliver gets us out where the mall crawlers dare to tread:  campgrounds.  Although, I really like dispersed camping.  It is much harder to find good places like that.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

One of the reasons we got rid of our fifth wheel and bought the Ollie. 

There is a line somewhere that delineates camping from glamping.  One I do, the other I abhor.  I'm not really sure where that line is, but I've seen the extremes on both sides.  The Oliver is an amazingly well-built trailer with quite a few amenities, but it falls way short of glamping.  

1 hour ago, thirddoor said:

There's much to like about our current trailer, but for all-around usefulness, the Olly is really hard to beat!

The good thing is, the new Olivers have some amazing upgrades and they are starting to put them into some Dealer locations which make it somewhat more convenient to get one.  And maybe they will now take trades since they are going to dealers? 

• Like 3

We own lien free “XPLOR” Hull# 634 and our TV. With over 20k miles we have yet to see another TT that would serve our traveling needs better than our Oliver. Per OTT Sales and Service Manager Rodney Lomax “Everything you need and nothing you don’t”. 👍🏻👍🏻🇺🇸🇺🇸😊 

@thirddoor I hope you can find a well maintained gently used Oliver on your time line. 👍🏻

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

10 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

There is a line somewhere that delineates camping from glamping.  One I do, the other I abhor.  I'm not really sure where that line is, but I've seen the extremes on both sides.  The Oliver is an amazingly well-built trailer with quite a few amenities, but it falls way short of glamping.  

My wife says if you are in the trailer you ain't doing it right.

I too hate that term "glamping".  Hate it, hate it, hate it. 

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

36 minutes ago, HDRider said:

My wife says if you are in the trailer you ain't doing it right.

If the squirrels are staring at you saying “What the ..?”, then you are probably doing it wrong. 

• Haha 1