-
Posts
7,791 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
467
Everything posted by topgun2
-
Ouch! Obviously this issue is the reason for that aluminum plate on the door behind the rubber bumper. A number of us have installed a grab bar that attaches to the screen door so that there is something to hold onto in the event of a strong wind - screen door grab bar The only downside to these is making sure that people don't use them for "support" when getting in or out of the camper. Bill
-
Humidity inside a structure that doesn't "breathe" can be a problem. The obvious answers are to allow it to breathe or to reduce the source of the humidity. This means to either get air circulation with less humid air or remove the source. Opening a window - sometimes a crack will do and sometimes you might need to go "all in" by simply opening it. Turning on the MaxAir Fan with a cracked window. Use the air conditioner. Use supplemental fans. Use products like "Damp-rid" or an actual de-humidifier. Take your showers in the campground shower house. Cook outside. Certainly open that MaxAir fan when you cook inside - it helps reduce humidity and odors. Remember that while your Oliver furnace takes in outside air for combustion an then expels that back to the outside, any other propane devices you might use (propane cooktop, propane heaters such as the Mr. Heater) produce moisture as a by product of combustion. I've found that the "answer" to this problem depends on the conditions. But the first think I do is crack that window. Bill
-
You're welcome - it did take me a bit of time to find it. Bill
-
jo79RI - Just because you will not have your Ollie until 2021 is no reason for not attending the Owner's Rally. The State Park has both rooms in the Lodge and they have cabins. Just think how far above the learning curve you would be if you joined us. Certainly you are welcome and I think that you'd learn a bunch along with having a good time. Bill
-
Here's a pic of Mainiac's mod which I copied after he posted it back in 2017.
-
Elite I Hull 583 picked up February 6!
topgun2 replied to Brian and Maria's topic in Delivery Day Photos
Wow! Nice, new, clean, happy people, happy pups - what else could you hope for? By the time Spring actually gets here you will have it entirely sorted out. Hope to see you at the 2020 Owner's Rally. Bill -
How to stabilize the front of an Elite II
topgun2 replied to TenRing's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
Nan - I assume that you are just using your jacks for stabilization and not for lifting the trailer to change a tire. If that is true then you should not have to worry about 6x6 blocks splitting no matter if you are with or against the grain of the wood. I rarely use my rear jacks. However, I almost always use one of these 6x6 blocks under my front jack. -
How to stabilize the front of an Elite II
topgun2 replied to TenRing's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
Nan - Of course, in situations where the height of the 8 inch block that Mike uses might be too tall, he can always simply turn that block on its side thus reducing its height by approximately 2 inches. Probably that is the reason he's smiling in the picture? Bill -
On your tow vehicle - normally to the right and left of the actual hitch receiver - there will be a hole or slot that is large enough for a chain or hook/clip to fit through. The ends of the safety chains/cables normally have a hook on the end that is then "hooked" to this hole/slot. Perhaps if you viewed this YouTube video you'd understand better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARZhXW5g_7c Bill
-
MarkC - I do not believe that John's wear was "normal" for the Andersen system and as I recall, I posted pictures of my hitch ball that didn't have any of the same type of wear patterns as John's showed. However, your real question is do you need a weight distribution hitch with a one ton truck and the answer is no. As far as "being smart" in using a larger ball - I agree with Mike. The standard 2 inch ball is fine and I've never heard of even one failure with it. Is the larger ball better? Certainly if someone were to give me the larger ball, I'd take and use it. But, for my needs - what I tow, where I tow, how I tow - I would not pay for it. Obviously, if you plan on loading your Ollie to the max, tow on very rough roads, otherwise plan on abusing (meaning rough treatment) the hitch system, then the larger ball just might be a better way to go for you. Bill
-
The chains/cables being discussed here are designed to be able to keep the tow vehicle and trailer attached to each other in the event of some type of failure of the hitch system (i.e. the hitch receiver, the hitch itself, the bulldog coupler assembly, the front of the frame of the trailer, etc.) This is why these are sometimes referred to as "safety chains/cables". Bill
-
MandD - Sorry about your wife, sorry for you, sorry for the moose, and sorry for the Jeep. Ouch! on so many fronts. When you mention that the Jeep moved 4 feet sideways, I assume that the Ollie simply followed right behind and didn't exhibit any kind of sway or other "strange" movement? Thank you so much for posting your bad experience - it is fair warning to all of us. Bill
-
There are now companies that make "Andersen style" blocks https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Yellow-Stabilizer-Jack-Support/dp/B076BRXLL4/ref=pd_sbs_263_4/146-3628680-5199367?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076BRXLL4&pd_rd_r=71c9b40e-198c-475a-b9ed-9cbd9f75047a&pd_rd_w=E3FuD&pd_rd_wg=fXUek&pf_rd_p=7cd8f929-4345-4bf2-a554-7d7588b3dd5f&pf_rd_r=5JHMKC2MAS7W7H987HJN&psc=1&refRID=5JHMKC2MAS7W7H987HJN And "Andersen style" ramps https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-2-Pack-Camper-Leveler-Handles/dp/B076X5W1LZ/ref=sr_1_8?crid=CW2VBL2WAZ9K&keywords=andersen+levelers&qid=1581523807&sprefix=andersen+%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-8 that are much less expensive as compared to the Andersens. Bill
-
jo79RI - Yes, new Olivers come with a "stinky slinky" that attaches to the Oliver and then the other end is placed in the sewer opening. However, while the new Oliver also comes with a drinking water hose, it is NOT what you want to use for rinsing your black tank! My recommendation is that you purchase a length of garden hose that is NOT white (I've got a grey one but virtually any color other than white is OK so that you don't accidently mix up your drinking water hose with the one you use for your black tank). There are plenty of YouTube videos on this subject and it really isn't any big deal. Bill
-
Welcome! A good day to start a build. Hopefully you will be able to join us at the Owner's Rally in May and by that time you will be seasoned Ollie owners. Bill
-
Perhaps a mini-rally in Western NC? Or, at the very least a "meet-up" at 12 Bones? Bill
-
Welcome! The Ollie sure does beat sleeping with the horses! Let us know if you have questions. Bill
-
David - I don't think that anything much larger than the 2000/2200 will fit in that storage area. Hopefully members with direct knowledge will chime in here. Other than that - get its footprint measurements and compare to the interior measurements of that tray. Bill
-
Warning - Warning! Watch out for Matt Ducan - he can seriously play some golf.
-
Ram 1500 Hemi with e-Torque engine idea
topgun2 replied to GraniteStaters's topic in General Discussion
I don't think that this was the question you were asking, but, be aware that for (at least) some places - like Yellowstone NP running a vehicle in order to charge a battery is considered exactly the same as running a generator. Therefore, if generators are not allowed then charging via a vehicle isn't either. Bill -
Yep - certainly not the first time I've tried to be humorous and have been called on it. Obviously, if one would not want something done to them then just why would they even consider doing it to someone (or something) else? Nature and all animals (to include the human kind) deserve to be treated with kindness and respect. I sure wouldn't appreciate it if one (or more) of those ground squirrels decided to pipe their "grey water" into my Ollie . Bill
-
Glad to hear that you will be joining us! Bring bikes (if you have them), a good pair of walking shoes, and a camera. It really is a very nice facility and with all the Olivers to look at plus the seminars to attend, you will have a very full number of days. I'll try to make it a point to stop by and say hello. Bill
-
Is this screen room for the Dometic what you were thinking about? https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/climate/rv-awnings/rv-awning-accessories/dometic-veranda-room-_-164343 Bill
-
My shower tent has a floor in it with mesh drain all around. I use it for both the shower (along with a solar shower bag) and for a toilet (using "double doodie" bags). Allowing grey water to disperse on the ground is even allowable in some of the campgrounds in Yellowstone and affords some privacy and keeps the bugs at bay. The shower tent I have was purchased at WalMart about thirty years ago and will soon need replaced. WalMart still carries them for about $45. Using a solar shower bag is a great way to save on propane too. In all cases - if you are not sure about dumping grey water on the ground - ASK prior to doing it. Bill
-
Please don't tell PETA on me, but, when boondocking out West I'll find a ground squirrel hole, place my "grey water hose" into it and open the valve to dump my grey water. Perhaps the squirrel doesn't like it but the plants enjoy the moisture. On the other hand, the ground squirrels tend to give me dirty looks. Bill
