Twin or Standard

jo79RI

Just a single data point.  We drove to Hohenwald for a plant tour expecting to order an Elite II with the larger, single bed.  After seeing both, we ordered a twin.  Our decision was based on the ability to get in and out of bed without having to slide off the end and probably disturbing the other person. I almost always get up once in the middle of the night.  It also looks like the beds will be easier to make and the trailer feels a little roomier with the twins. Our current motorhome has a queen bed in the back and you have to slide off the end to get in or out.

We haven't taken delivery yet (May) so I don't know if we made the right call, but we have experience with the queen bed in our MH and decided to make a change with the Oliver.

Depends on your lifestyle. We have the standard. Sometimes the wife thinks she would have wanted the bunks. With the bunks it is easier to get into the cabinets, especially as the body ages. 

We met up with two other couples from different parts of the state. Where we met, as usual, it was rainy. We dined together, potluck style. Guess what? The only place where the was room, for the six of us on those rainy days, was in the Oliver. The tables in their SOBs (some other brand) was small and like an old wobbly ironing board. Now, normally, we leave ours made up as a bed most of the time, but is nice to know the table is there. The fur baby loves it that way. And the dinette serves us fine when not outdoors.

Edited by Mainiac
Author error
  • Thanks 1

Hi. We had the same discussion.  Mainiac was kind enough to show us his Ollie.  We discussed both floor plan  options.  Ultimately, we chose the twin plan and did a modification of adding a lagun table mounted on the side.  Check out Overland's thread in the Ollie modifications.  We can't seat 6 for dinner but  we can seat 4 and we have the night stand with basement door.  We use the lagun table daily.  It can also be easily stored in the closet.  When I saw Overland's modification, it provided a good solution for us.  

• Thanks 2

My wife and I took the tour in October and chose the twin bed option because of accessibility to the cabinets and not having to deal with taking the bed up and down each day we camped.  We still questioned our choice so we went back in February and spent several hours in the Ollie.  We are very comfortable with our final decision on the twin beds.  The only real advantage of the king bed would be diminished every time I had to climb down the bed at night.  We do want the access door and the Lagun table so I will have to make the modification after we take ownership in July.  Not being real comfortable with my craftsmanship skills I will probably find someone to do the Lagun table install. (I am hoping the decision is made to offer both by Oliver.  It seams like a no brainer to me)

• Thanks 1

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

8 hours ago, Mattnan said:

Hi. We had the same discussion.  Mainiac was kind enough to show us his Ollie.  We discussed both floor plan  options.  Ultimately, we chose the twin plan and did a modification of adding a lagun table mounted on the side.  Check out Overland's thread in the Ollie modifications.  We can't seat 6 for dinner but  we can seat 4 and we have the night stand with basement door.  We use the lagun table daily.  It can also be easily stored in the closet.  When I saw Overland's modification, it provided a good solution for us.  

Can one order this modification?

Nope!   You can oder the Lagun table installed between the 2 beds at the end of the aisle.  If you do order the Ollie with the Lagun table, you can not have an access door to the basement.

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

1 hour ago, gatorewc said:

Nope!   You can oder the Lagun table installed between the 2 beds at the end of the aisle.  If you do order the Ollie with the Lagun table, you can not have an access door to the basement.

What is the use of that door?

59 minutes ago, jo79RI said:

What is the use of that door?

It is harder to reach stuff in that part of the storage compartment without an inside access door. It’s a very long reach from the outside, street-side opening; many owners use one or two milk crates for their smaller items and tie a rope onto them, to pull them out easily.

An inside door is handy but in no way mandatory. I don’t have one.

OTH if you often camp in a wet climate, you could access stuff without having to go out into the foul weather.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We have the access door to the basement, and we really like it. I even put it in myself! But the basement access door is a minor feature compared to the nightstand drawer!

I think it would be foolish to buy Oliver’s lagun table option, as currently configured. With the lagun table in place, you can’t open the nightstand drawer

I hope Oliver will adopt Overland’s excellent design for factory installations of lagun tables, because it is a better solution!
Edited by DavidS
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

7 hours ago, DavidS said:

We have the access door to the basement, and we really like it. I even put it in myself! But the basement access door is a minor feature compared to the nightstand drawer!

I think it would be foolish to buy Oliver’s lagun table option, as currently configured. With the lagun table in place, you can’t open the nightstand drawer

I hope Oliver will adopt Overland’s excellent design for factory installations of lagun tables, because it is a better solution!

Great points David, That is exactly why we passed on the Lagun table. So we opted for the door to the basement. The side mount of the Lagun table is a better design.

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Oliver says, that most of there new production models, customers are ordering the twin bed option. This is also true in Casita and Escape is to offer a twin model in there 21 footer, which customers have been asking for. Plus I like the center cabinet between the beds, we use it a lot for our electronic, etc. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

10 hours ago, Trainman said:

Oliver says, that most of there new production models, customers are ordering the twin bed option. This is also true in Casita and Escape is to offer a twin model in there 21 footer, which customers have been asking for. Plus I like the center cabinet between the beds, we use it a lot for our electronic, etc. 

trainman

Isn't the twin less comfortable for a tall man?

2 hours ago, jo79RI said:

I need to test one. I am 6 foot 2 inches.

Last week we finalized our OLEll order at Oliver. We live in Western NC, so a quick second trip back to Hohenwald made total sense for us. While there I stretched out on the Oliver twin bed again in one of the demos. I am 75 1/2” tall or 6’3 1/2. I don’t have any comfort concerns about sleeping on the 75” twin or 30” wide bed. Full on side sleeper here so all is well for me. 

You are wise to stretch out on a twin check and be sure. Comfort level is very subjective. What suits one certainly may not suit another. Good luck with your choice!

Edited by Patriot
added bed with.
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 3:46 AM, Trainman said:

I'm 6'1" and it works ok for me. 

trainman

At 6'6" the twins are too short for me.  Not a big fan of the Standard layout as it makes the cabin feel a whole lot smaller.  Wishing Oliver would make a longer version which has a few more inches in the bath area and the living area.  For now, this situation is keeping me on the sidelines.

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• Moderators

Mountainman198 - 

Sorry to hear about the "sidelines".  Perhaps looking on the bright side - most of us tend to get shorter as we age.😉

Bill

• Sad 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"