SARS-Cov-2/Covid-19 and Travel

HMD1056

I am curious about the effect the SARS-CoV-2 virus (covid-19) is having on OTT owners and their travels plans...those traveling at present and those planning trips.  The OTTs are self contained and appear to be easy to keep the inside clean and sanitary.  Traveling with your own transportation and RV seems to be safe as the owners control the sanitation.  So, questions:  Has anyone canceled plans to travel with their OTT because of the virus outbreak?  If you are traveling at present, what precautions are you taking as you travel?  Staying in campgrounds?  Or avoiding crowds and boondocking?  Are there any extra precautions you are taking now to further protect yourself as you interact with others?  Thank you for any feedback!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Nope, not canceling any plans. We just returned today from the Texas gulf coast. The state park was full. Not sure if we’ll camp before the rally.  If we do and the virus is real bad we might just go somewhere remote. 

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Added a small canister of wipes for gas pump handles to the cab, to supplement the hand sanitizer that i always keep in the door pocket.

Camping in your own trailer is probably the safest way to travel today, I think. 

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, HMD1056 said:

I very much agree, Sherry.  In some ways, it is easier than staying at home with less spaces to keep clean/sanitized.  

And, uv light (sunshine)  is the great sanitizer. Open air is very healthy. Just another reason I love camping.  With or without corina virus.

My pioneer relatives lived mostly into their 90s,  without benefit of modern medicine. Country life is good, or , at least, so said my grandfather. He was probably right.

Sherry

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Not changing plans, just not gonna hug or touch anyone.......perhaps my SO...........     6' circle of personal space, upstream.... 

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Not changing plans, just not gonna hug or touch anyone.......perhaps my SO...........     6' circle of personal space, upstream.... 

6' meets the cdc guidines,  from what i have read. we'll probably all keep a bit more distance, for awhile.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We are leaving for a two week adventure to Canyonlands and Capital Reef at 6 am tomorrow. The precautions we are taking is to avoid crowds and wash our hands every time we go to a rest stop, pump gas, or handle anything else that is publicly used and not frequently sanitized. We are both healthy so not terribly worried. We plan to never eat out and limit access to our Oliver. IF anyone asks to see it we will only do so if they look healthy and then just allow a peek inside. We will not let them wander around inside. My computer has lots of inside photos for them to enjoy.  

We did take some advice from CDC and stocked up on Mucinex, OTC cough suppressants (with expectorant), as well as tylenol and naproxen in case we get sick. We made sure we had enough grub for our trip including the driving days. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

The older you are, the more care you need to take. I am 67 and trying to limit my public exposures, but it won't stop me from camping. No way will you find me intentionally hanging out in big crowds.... My wife and grown daughter are on their way to New Zealand for a three weeks vacation. They are worried mostly about International closures, though I think if they were to get stranded, they would much prefer NZ to some other locations. Tourism is down in NZ, and the Kiwis are anxious for tourism dollars, before their season ends. It's a great time to be visiting, unless bad things happen...

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I see many companies shutting down.  Also along with canceling the rally, Oliver has a large number of workers they should shut down production? And suspend deliveries due to customers coming in from around the country.  

Edited by Landrover

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Landrover said:

I see many companies shutting down.  Also along with canceling the rally, Oliver has a large number of workers they should shut down production? And suspend deliveries due to customers coming in from around the country.  

Shutting down production is a business decision for Oliver with significant consequences.  Postponing the rally results in some inconveniences and disappointment.  Two different categories.  I don’t think they should shut down production as long as there isn’t a virus outbreak manifested in the region.  Postponing the rally was prudent and should help “flatten the curve”.

• Like 3

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I pretty much agree with rallies being postponed for the time being, I think as far as going camping we will still be doing that as we have control over many things at campsites, cooking, distances between sites, and probably the smaller amount of people camping. One thing rallies do have is large groups of people in small spaces and this is what most of us seem to want to stay from which camping on our own we can somewhat control this. I don't like this anymore then most do, but probably for us older people it probably the better choice for the time being. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

My wife and daughter got through customs in NZ on Wednesday, with an uncomfortable delay, but no problems. NZ has announced that starting Sunday everybody entering, including NZ citizens, will have to “self isolate” for two weeks.

I don’t think they will have any worries traveling, it should be pleasant due to no crowds, but if they get stuck there ,it could become problematic from a financial standpoint, I guess they could both emigrate and just stay there LOL..... 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Shutting down production is a business decision for Oliver with significant consequences.  Postponing the rally results in some inconveniences and disappointment.  Two different categories.  I don’t think they should shut down production as long as there isn’t a virus outbreak manifested in the region.  Postponing the rally was prudent and should help “flatten the curve”.

Yup its all about the money.

6 minutes ago, Landrover said:

Also flatten the curve? When are we going to flatten the curve on 1600 people dyeing  from cancer every day. 900 deaths a day in vehicle fatalities. On an on. Social media blitz to up ratings. I’ll still be at the park on those days and will enjoy the quite.😎

Edited by Landrover

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Landrover said:

I disagree.  Postponing the rally is about keeping people safe and well.  In fact, there might be a monetary loss in doing so.  Keeping production going keeps people in their jobs with income and provides products to people who want the Oliver product.  I have confidence that the Oliver leadership team is making wise decisions not just trying to chase a dollar.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Landrover said:

Also flatten the curve. When are we going to flatten the curve on 1600 people dyeing  from cancer every day. 900 deaths a day in vehicle fatalities. On an on. Social media blitz to up ratings. I’ll still be at the park on those days and will enjoy the quite. 

As far as camping during this crisis I agree 100% that those that can should camp!  We just got back from a trip and we’re already working an alternative trip this spring.

Cancer and other chronic diseases don’t have the spike in cases that COVID-19 has had in other countries, such as China, Italy and others.  We also spend millions of dollars on those diseases, cancer, heart disease, etc.  The federal and state governments are trying to prevent a similar spike that we see elsewhere.  

If we could get people to stop drinking and driving vehicle deaths would be reduced.

I agree the social media and news media are making this worse and taking advantage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike and Carol said:

As far as camping during this crisis I agree 100% that those that can should camp!  We just got back from a trip and we’re already working an alternative trip this spring.

Cancer and other chronic diseases don’t have the spike in cases that COVID-19 has had in other countries, such as China, Italy and others.  We also spend millions of dollars on those diseases, cancer, heart disease, etc.  The federal and state governments are trying to prevent a similar spike that we see elsewhere.  

If we could get people to stop drinking and driving vehicle deaths would be reduced.

I agree the social media and news media are making this worse and taking advantage.

Yes just trying to make a point there are many diseases out there that are claiming hundreds if not thousands of lives every day some like cancer have been with us for decades. Yes it is fast spreading. So were many others.  This will pass.  If anything maybe this will bring back common sense that somehow  has been lost.

• Moderators

I guess they could both emigrate and just stay there LOL..... 

Perhaps, but New Zealand's financial requirements for emigration are fairly serious 😐.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We are in Holbrook AZ, camping today and Sunday. Still surviving in our Covid 19 survival pod #572. While in Holbrook this morning we saw an LE2  at the Safeway. Pulled in next to them and met another board member AngusT and wife from MA. 

We have been very careful to stay distant from other people and using only the facilities of our survival pod. We brought enough food for our entire trip. Using nitrile gloves at fuel stops, then disposing and Purell.

Everyone be safe out there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Overland said:

This is neither the topic for amateur epidemiology lectures nor philosophical dissertations on the inevitability of human mortality.  There are in fact no topics on this forum for either subject. 

Please limit the discussion here to the rally.

Sorry if i hit a nerve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Landrover said:

Yes just trying to make a point there are many diseases out there that are claiming hundreds if not thousands of lives every day some like cancer have been with us for decades. Yes it is fast spreading. So were many others.  This will pass.  If anything maybe this will bring back common sense that somehow  has been lost.

This thing is for sure blown out of proportion but if any company should be keeping their customers from gathering right now its probably Oliver.  Lets be real, not a lot of spring chickens in this group!  

• Like 1