Overwintering AGM Batteries

Our previous trailer was a little teardrop with a single marine battery. In the winter the battery just went into the basement on a trickle charger.
We're--sadly--starting to think of our first winterization with the Oliver and aren't sure how to maintain a deep-cycle AGM--let alone 4 of them.  The Oliver will be indoors without heat or electric.

What's best for the batteries? Thank you!

Doug & Dan

Des Moines, Iowa

(waiting on a ) 2020 LEII

Mine sits outdoors, uncovered, and the solar keeps everything charged. Even with some ice and snow on the panels we seem to get a charge. We do top off the water, well before a freeze, in the fall and spring. Can you put a portable panel outside in the sun and plug it in?

• Like 1

How far is the storage area from your house or an outdoor 120 volt outlet? Can you run a small extension cord across to that spot? If you shut off all inside breakers except the converter, that cord should easily handle the current and it will keep your batteries in great shape. Make sure the batteries are fully charged before you put it inside, otherwise the converter may draw too much power for a small cord to safely handle. It will handle a maintenance (trickle) charge, no worries...

Install a Victron smart bus; it allows you to check on the battery condition from fairly far away via Blutooth. It provides great peace of mind and saves needless trips to go check in person. Here is “Mouse”, I checked the battery condition about a minute ago while lying on the living room sofa 50 feet away. Once I checked and it was down 96%, alarmed, I went out to see why and I found out that I had accidentally turned off the converter breaker instead of the one for the water heater. 

9D930CC5-2482-4FF9-A5B7-C86130892C7F.thumb.jpeg.d5c790fa7d9ece529acd5cfaff464f6b.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.