Garmin GPS Recommendations?

Passing the wait time for our new Oliver shopping for a Garmin GPS.  There are so many models, I'm confused.  I found reference here for the  61LMT @Trainman and RV660LMT @John E Davies.  Any other Garmin users care to share your experiences?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin Hull# 699 - delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

14 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

Make sure whatever you get lists any overpass that is 10' or less. Oliver's have a tendency to travel back roads and places with low trees and bridges.

I wonder if it's necessary to get the RV or truck version to have that function?

Ray and Susan Huff

I have the RV660LMT and really like it. It is a slightly older model, and a larger screen would be welcome. The RV mode is needed to warn you of low bridges, steep grades, etc and it is SUPER ANNOYING. I turned it off the second day of our first trip. It kept popping up constant alerts that I already knew about “curves ahead!!!”, duh, I have been driving on curves for an hour. “Steep grade ahead!!!” True, but many miles away. The RV database is clunky, the icons are big and block details. In general I think it is simply poor programming.

For low clearance, use the eyeballs you were born with, anything posted 12 feet or under, stop and double check before proceeding. I have a height placard hanging down to remind me as I drive.

21B68893-3A3B-4DE9-A5E3-D91EE94BE967.thumb.jpeg.b06b181d765d7774e12bc1cb838a5d47.jpeg

You can add additional map layers to this series Garmin. I have 24K topo maps which I can add to the existing road map when out in the boonies. Instead of a single line against a totally blank background, I get elevation contours and other features. The big plus is that the Topo maps are routable.

You can add up to four low res camera inputs to the main display, I use one for my trailer backup camera. 

The Garmin Connect phone app is pretty lame, I never use it. 

I am a big Garmin fan, for the most part. I won’t buy another brand. The only thing I dislike about mine, other than RV Mode, is the external flash card sticks out the bottom, no recess or guard, and it is easy to accidentally press and eject it. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

I see Garmin now has Drive Smart 65 which is bluetooth compatible.  Can this be paired to the vehicle system to send the voice directions through the dash speakers?  My husband has a hard time hearing.

Ray and Susan Huff

Those with Garmin drivesmart (61 or 65):

1. How does the unit plug into vehicle power - USB or 12v socket?  (I'm new to these devices) and how does it charge?

We want to use a beanbag type mount, but there are so many, it's confusing.  I don't think all will work with the 6.95" display.  Which one do I need?  Or, is there a better type of mount?  Our pickup dash has a flat recessed top where this would work well.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Susan - 

Research, research, research!

What's good for me is not necessarily good for you and GPS units are no exception.

Garmin's new 8 inch screen and the model 890 is getting good reviews.  Garmin's website used to have a matrix that compared their various models and features.

Several years ago I upgraded to a NUVI 2797LM that has a large 7 inch (diagonal) screen and have liked it very much.  But, I usually travel alone which makes the large screen much easier to see and interact with while driving down the road.

Good luck on your search.

Bill

p.s.  I have a bean bag mount 

https://www.amazon.com/Bestand-Dashboard-Portable-Friction-Garmin/dp/B01N6KWHSC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=A2F2DL4BGFDE&dchild=1&keywords=garmin+bean+bag+dash+mount&qid=1601297711&sprefix=garmin+bean%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN09LQTRFSlhGWU5BJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTQ1MDE3MUg3REo0U0Q0R0JYWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQxMzgyMlBBTktOVERUTERYOSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

that works great and is very stable.  Of course there are also vent mounts, magnetic mounts, suction cup mounts and (if you have a CD slot in the dash of your truck) a CD slot mount.  Before we sold our Volvo XC70 last year, this CD mount was my favorite in that it got the Garmin off the top of the dash but was still high enough to be able to see the Garmin easily.

Edited by topgun2

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Susan - 

Research, research, research!

What's good for me is not necessarily good for you and GPS units are no exception.

Garmin's new 8 inch screen and the model 890 is getting good reviews.  Garmin's website used to have a matrix that compared their various models and features.

Several years ago I upgraded to a NUVI 2797LM that has a large 7 inch (diagonal) screen and have liked it very much.  But, I usually travel alone which makes the large screen much easier to see and interact with while driving down the road.

Good luck on your search.

Bill

p.s.  I have a bean bag mount 

https://www.amazon.com/Bestand-Dashboard-Portable-Friction-Garmin/dp/B01N6KWHSC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=A2F2DL4BGFDE&dchild=1&keywords=garmin+bean+bag+dash+mount&qid=1601297711&sprefix=garmin+bean%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN09LQTRFSlhGWU5BJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTQ1MDE3MUg3REo0U0Q0R0JYWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQxMzgyMlBBTktOVERUTERYOSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

that works great and is very stable.  Of course there are also vent mounts, magnetic mounts, suction cup mounts and (if you have a CD slot in the dash of your truck) a CD slot mount.  Before we sold our Volvo XC70 last year, this CD mount was my favorite in that it got the Garmin off the top of the dash but was still high enough to be able to see the Garmin easily.

Thanks!  Good info.  Hmmmmm , , , , , I like the sound of the CD mount . . . . . we don't use the CD player in our PU. . . . . . will check it out.

What size screen are you using with the above mount?  Do you use it on the dash?  If so, can you see the screen well, with sunlight?

So now there is an 8" option . . . . . great . . . . . another decision!

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

7 inch (diagonal) screen - I would never go back to a 5 inch screen.

Yes, mine is on the dash of my F-150.

No issues with sunlight.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

19 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

7 inch (diagonal) screen - I would never go back to a 5 inch screen.

Yes, mine is on the dash of my F-150.

No issues with sunlight.

Bill

It seems the mounting options are limited with the 8" screen.

Ray and Susan Huff