Boondocking Pictures

Mike and Carol

@jd1923 I did a day long scouting trip up into the Allegheny National Forest in Northwest Pennsylvania yesterday, looking for dispersed camping sites. The ANF is the only large tract of federal land in Pa,, and allows dispersed camping, as do the BLM lands so common in the west. The park rangers had been very helpful, giving me a number of forest roads to check out, but their  biggest and most helpful piece of advice was to get the Avenza app and download the Allegheny national Forest map ($5) into it. A number of times we were “off grid“ without cellular service, but the Avenza app kept us clearly located via its GPS capabilities, moving our little blue dot along the forest Road on the app as we drove along. We would have been lost several times without it. You are also able to drop a marker on that map, as we did for about a half dozen sites that we wanted to come back and visit with our Ollie. We would’ve been lost without it! 
Geoff

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Geoff and Becca Chapman * Pittsburgh 

Legacy Elite 1 Hull #731 * TV GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Time to add a few from our most recent month-long trip to Moab (mountain biking), Valley of the Gods (annular eclipse), North Rim of the Grand Canyon (supposed to be more mountain biking, but we got smoked out by a nearby prescribed burn), Valley of Fire, and a Paso Robles HipCamp (wine tasting, of course!).  The rest of the trip was staying with friends, and we’re currently high-tailing it home!

As always, the Ollie performed above and beyond — we never once plugged in, but still used the convection microwave and a/c whenever needed.  And even though we spent several nights in sub-freezing temps, we had no issues with frozen lines. I love VellOllie!

IMG_2057.jpeg

IMG_2071.jpeg

IMG_2090.jpeg

IMG_2125.jpeg

IMG_2174.jpeg

IMG_2179.jpeg

IMG_2246.jpeg

IMG_2282.jpeg

IMG_2201.jpeg

IMG_2055.jpeg

IMG_2250.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

Not all the photos loaded for me, but the ones that did are great!

Kirk

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, SomeDaySoon said:

Same here.  Great shot of watching the sun go down with your dog on your lap. 

three of a kind.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+

I got 4 of the 11 posted pictures.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

11 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I got 4 of the 11 posted pictures.

ugh.  I’ll try again when I have more signal than I can get while, literally, driving down the road. 😉

• Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Any pit toilets and/or potable water nearby?

There are pit toilets about a half mile from this location but no water.  There are 14 campsites in the NF and they are really spread out.  I learned a hard lesson here-  the battery on my RVLock keyless entry apparently died when I went out for a lunch hike one day and I had to get a locksmith from Auburn, AL to come out and pick the lock. ($200).  Now I'm keeping a key in my truck!

• Wow 2
  • Sad 2

2023 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull #1405, "Rocinante"  TV: 2022 F-150 5.0 V8 4x4

States Visited MapMap of Provinces I Visited

• Moderators

Our home electronic locks give a low battery  warning a few days before the batteries actually die. Is that not a feature on the electronic  rv lock?  Disappointing. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

28 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Our home electronic locks give a low battery  warning a few days before the batteries actually die. Is that not a feature on the electronic  rv lock?  Disappointing. 

I don't recall any sort of warning or different sound from the lock.  I would think that if it doesn't have the juice to unlock it would refuse to lock.  I haven't looked it up in the lock instructions, but I agree, it is disappointing.

• Thanks 1

2023 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull #1405, "Rocinante"  TV: 2022 F-150 5.0 V8 4x4

States Visited MapMap of Provinces I Visited

36 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Nope. I have to replace batteries twice a year. In fact a couple weeks ago we went to check on the trailer. I got in OK, but the batteries died and had to use the key to lock it. Have it on our list when we bring it home to load up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

• Moderators

Almost every time I read a thread here on the Forum or watch a video about these locks I consider "upgrading" my old fashion key jobs.

But, then I see a story such as this about being "locked out" or worse - the lock simply will not operate and I try to remind myself of why I like to keep things "simple".  Simple seems to fit well with my brain!🤪

Even though I still do the key thing the old fashion way, I do keep a set of keys in both the tow vehicle and the Oliver.  Plus I have a couple of extra sets in the event I need to give a key to someone else that is going in a different direction than I am.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

My RV Lock makes a funny extra (music type) sound when the batteries are low and then still makes the normal (music) sound during unlocking or when the RV Lock is locking. This has been like that for about a month now while the trailer is waiting for spring. Normally, when the batteries are good, I hear a sound with each depression of the 4 password numbers. When the RV Lock accepts the password, it make a music sound during unlocking as well as when locking. So the RV Lock gives plenty of advance notice that the batteries need to be replaced.

I really like the RV Lock myself. I keep the key forb and key in my pocket or in the TV. It is nice to just come back from a hike and put in the code and unlock the door without finding a key. I would not be concerned with upgrading to a RV Lock as you can always use the actual key just like on a regular lock.

• Thanks 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine