Water Softener - Is it needed?

Oliver Owners,

It was mentioned to us when picking up our Oliver that we might want to consider purchasing a portable water softener for use with the trailer.   We arrived on pickup day with a water filter but never considered the need for a water softener before.  Not sure if others on this forum have had issues with hard water  but our orientation rep indicated that they had several trailers in the shop for decalcification while we were there.    Upon returning home I purchased an inexpensive kit to measure the hardness of our water here at home and was surprised to find we were on the upper end of the scale.   Hence, we went ahead and purchased a portable water softener to use while traveling.   I have listed what we purchased below but there are several other options out there to consider.   We have found it easy to use, simple to regenerate with table salt, hooks inline easily when attaching the trailer to a water supply and have even used it when washing the trailer to reduce water spotting.   Something you might want to consider if you find yourself frequently hooking up to hard water supplies at the campgrounds you visit.   

image.png.0b6487ea6ab4b92f4604ae12b9dfa8e9.png On The Go OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softener

Please note that when you use a water softener, a little bit of soap goes a long way when washing hands, hair, dishes, etc.   

Edited by QuestionMark
typo
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2018 F150 XLT Supercrew 5.0 4x4  

2020 Oliver Legacy Elite I  *  Hull #664

Located SE Texas Region

• Moderators

I know that the Lonestar Oliver has a water softener/filter system and I'm certain that there are several others too.

Yours looks like a good small unit.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Like 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We've never had one, but others have found great benefits.

We load our trailer with collected rainwater, when we leave home. So, no softener needed there. 

Along the way, we are picky about where we take on water. We also primarily work from the tank, not city connections.  

I think if we traveled more out west, I'd look at a softener.  Yours looks good .

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

• Moderators
2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I know that the Lonestar Oliver has a water softener/filter system and I'm certain that there are several others too.

Yours looks like a good small unit.

Bill

Bill is correct, we’ve been using a water softener for several years.  We originally bought a 16K grain from ABCWaters on Amazon.  I have since downsized to a 3.2K grain softener, also from ABCWaters.  The small one is lightweight and fits nicely in the basement standing up.  I kept the 16K grain softener to wash cars and to wash the Oliver.  We have softened water at home, so it is nice to have the same in the trailer.  The small one stays charged for a long trip (4-6 weeks) and is easily recharged with at container of Morton table salt.  Amazon has a decent selection of portable softeners.  I wouldn’t go bigger than 8K grain, they tend to get heavy!  Mike

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMDMAMSMOMT