How to keep from losing your water hose connection fittings

I posted this back in 2018 but was reminded of this again this morning. While disconnecting my hose I noticed my city water female hose connection fitting was loose.  The picture below shows the fitting after I removed the strainer/ washer.

A5204E14-0118-4E46-83BE-BB82A5ACD250.thumb.jpeg.1058553e3a7efd0a4a594597d9044525.jpeg

You need to carry a 1/2 inch hex key (Allen wrench) or you’ll have to use a bolt with a head that fits a 1/2 inch wrench. Just snug this fitting up after removing the strainer/washer. 

638CBD43-C502-474D-BC98-7BA17F7C49AF.thumb.jpeg.8836b686161deb3d063f3418d5efc13b.jpeg

Be sure to replace the strainer/washer after tightening the fitting. 

Here is the post that I made about this back in 2018. Just disregard the threadjacking in the middle of the original thread.

• Thanks 6
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Adding a link to the article with the SPEC's of those water fittings...Craig

• Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

I figured out one of mine was loose because it was spraying water when I hooked the hose to it…  didn’t have a 1/2” Allen wrench at the time, but I do now.. 

any project requiring a new tool is a good one as far as I’m concerned. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 7/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, Townesw said:

You need to carry a 1/2 inch hex key (Allen wrench) or you’ll have to use a bolt with a head that fits a 1/2 inch wrench. Just snug this fitting up after removing the strainer/washer. 

My City Water connection started leaking A LOT and my neighbor took a look and said I was missing the check valve -- but after reading the forum posts related to this subject, I learned that my check valve is moved inboard, and I was able to fix my City Water connection with borrowed hex key and plumber's tape.

Now to buy my own hex key. Also -- I don't have fingernails long enough to grab that outer red rubber strainer, so I used a sewing needle to gently pull it out. I plan to buy spare strainers and O-rings that go on the other side, especially since there are 3 of these connections (City Water, Fresh Water and the Boon Docking inlet) -- can anyone tell me what size the O-ring is? I'm not sure how it's measured. 

Thanks for all the help, Forum family!

IMG_3407.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

55 minutes ago, Boudicca908 said:

there are 3 of these connections

Actually 4 including the black tank flush 

• Like 3

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

@Boudicca908
I purchased these Ely quick connects and really like them. https://www.eleyhosereels.com/search?q=Quick+connects

They make connecting to water inlets sooooo much easier and quicker and are solid brass.

Patriot🇺🇸

IMG_9322.thumb.jpeg.b219f0e6e5a3333c2b6fea54b6736ec7.jpeg

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Patriot said:

I purchased these Ely quick connects

Thanks for the reminder! I have at least one quick connect and a friend took it off, thinking he was going to solve my leak problem. I'll reinstall it now.

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

I went with 6" extensions, since I really dislike craning my neck to reach under! They connect easy, hand-tight without leaking. The 4-pack is perfect for an Oliver.
Amazon.com: Hourleey Garden Hose Protector, Hose Extension Adapter with Coil Spring (4 PCS) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Hose extensions.JPG

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators

I like the spring guard. Let us know how it works out for you. 

I also see that you have plugs in the openings. 👍👍👍 good plan. 

Where do you keep the plugs when connected to city water or filling tank?

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Thanks for all the help, Forum family!

It is, indeed. A family. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I like the spring guard. Let us know how it works out for you. 

I also see that you have plugs in the openings. 👍👍👍 good plan. 

Where do you keep the plugs when connected to city water or filling tank?

They're flexible too, so if you hit something, np. I've used these before, had them on a class-c, decent quality and inexpensive, not much to go wrong.

Good eye! I was going to remount those funny little chains, but didn't want to take the time, at the time. I removed the bottom screw to remove them and replaced the screw in the hose bib. Last time I just placed the cap inside the rear storage bin where we keep the hoses. Thanks for asking!

• Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Every time I buy a (blue) Camco in-line hose water filter, I save the old short white spring hose.  And each year, I put one on the Ollie.

The rear port is fairly accessible/exposed and this hose “attached” may not be best between (in-route) uses. 

I like the white hoses, as it provides a bit of a shock absorber to the connection on the OTT side, if someone who is 75 y-o and pretty much all legs, catches a foot on one of those hoses.

Just get a beaded chain extension and attach to the existing black screw plugs already there and put them in the end of the white hoses while underway.

B~Out

• Like 5

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

15 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I went with 6" extensions, since I really dislike craning my neck to reach under!

Great mod, thanks for sharing!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX