Hello! My name is Brad and I am 98% sure I’ll order a legacy elite II next week when I visit the factory

Brad Armstrong

I will be going to the Hershey RV show next Wednesday just to make sure but, I think Ollie it is. I have a few questions regarding my set up and needs and I welcome your suggestions. My tow rig is a 2021 F150 hybrid with a built in 7.2kw power supply. As for battery upgrades, I have done many in the past on RV’s  but frankly never felt the usage I got was worth the money spent. I will use my built in power supply from the truck when Boon-docking (which I will do almost exclusively) but I will use the house battery’s for standard 12v tasks like lights, blower motors etc. But is the 4 6v AGM battery upgrade worth the freedom from checking battery water hassle? I want the upgraded mattress’s on both sides for the occasional visitors but also want a couch, suggestions on couch back cushions? Any other must haves in your opinion?

thanks!

by the way, I live in the Smokey’s about 45 minutes from Gatlinburg, Dollywood, Pigeon Forge on 4 wooded acres, I have an Rv spot with full hook ups for friends and family. If anyone wants to camp for a night or two feel free to contact me and if the schedule is free, you are welcome to use my facilities. 
Brad

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum, Brad.

The Hershey show should be fun, like our Tampa RV supershow. We go most years, just to poke around and see what's new in equipment.  

Truma is showcasing the new to USA aventa ac at Hershey. I'd love to hear a report from someone who has seen and heard it in person, though I'm sure you're going to look at new trailer models. We've never found anything to tempt us to change up our Oliver.

Good luck with your decision. It's a process.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hi, at the camper show, look in the basement of these new units ( and these are the ones good enough to take to a show). Last time I went to one the plastic trim was held on with staples. My desk stapler has bigger and stronger staples. Also the wooden "studs" were 3\4" by 1", and a knot had already fallen out as it had started to twist. They sure were pretty though.

I always go through and look, because their designers sure come up with some innovative ideas. Cabinets that rise to the 11' ceiling on an electric powered track, electric fireplaces, and 2 full baths. Just what I need when boondocking.

Good luck! Hull #211

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hey Brad, welcome!  You live in a beautiful part of Tennessee.  

We had 4 AGMs for 5 years and enjoyed the low maintenance they provided.  We never had an issue with them when dry camping.  Let us know if you have questions.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

My main complaint with the 4 AGMs is mine were toast by the third season. Plus they are super heavy, nearly 300 pounds. A single lithium battery would be not much more costly, and the weight savings gives easier towing or a fair amount of extra payload. A 100 AH Battle Born is just 37 pounds.

Your built in inverter is cool, and that will replace a generator for powering the microwave or AC, but you cannot access the Ford onboard battery, am I correct? So you still need at least 200 AH in the Ollie, unless you plan to idle your truck all the time, which is not campground friendly…. but if you are boondocking and don’t mind adding a lot of hours to the truck engine, I bet it would work well.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

@John E Davies I think the Ford system lets you draw from the battery until it needs to be recharged. The engine comes on to recharge it and the process starts over. I would personally put in a couple lithium batteries vs the agm for your constant cycling of the charge system but you could probably skip the solar if you wanted to. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John E Davies said:

My main complaint with the 4 AGMs is mine were toast by the third season. Plus they are super heavy, nearly 300 pounds. A single lithium battery would be not much more costly, and the weight savings gives easier towing or a fair amount of extra payload. A 100 AH Battle Born is just 37 pounds.

Is the Oliver suspension set up for that much weight on one side? Or it counter balanced by cabinetry and components? If you reduce the weight by almost 200 pounds would you be effecting the handling characteristics going down the road?

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Is the Oliver suspension set up for that much weight on one side? Or it counter balanced by cabinetry and components? If you reduce the weight by almost 200 pounds would you be effecting the handling characteristics going down the road?

I had 4 AGMs for 5 years, about 280 lbs.  I replaced them with 2 Lithium’s, about 75 lbs, 9 months and 10K miles ago.  I don’t notice any balance issues.  The trailer sits level side to side.  I do notice that the tray is much easier to slide in and out!  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Brad: 

I spend three months a year in our Ollie.  We mostly boondock.  Over the past four summers, we have averaged 5,400 miles a summer.  Mostly out west in the mountains.  We don't have AGM or Solar.  I am not up-to-date on what the new Optional/Standard features are, so please forgive me on that.  That said, from your above first post, here is what comes to my mind:

• For A/C, we run a Honda EU2000, as well to charge our Lead Acid (L.A.) batteries during afternoons.  One trick I use is to meter the amount of fuel I put into the generator tank based upon how long I want it to run in the afternoons.  Sort of a way not to overcharge should I not be in the area.  You may want to explore if your Ford 7.2 KW generator has an auto shut off based upon the Status of Charge (SOC).  That would be really cool.
  • Pretty much all the OE2 loads can be covered by a 30 amp 120V feed.  Your 7,200 watt Ford generator can theoretically put out about twice this amount of  power.  So with the truck, you should not require an additional generator.  However, the fuel efficiency of a Honda EU2200i may be very beneficial should you do a LOT of boondocking.  With your on-board Ford generator, and it's remote start, you can easily extend your SOC (State of Charge) for morning heavy 120V electrical loads and not have to leave your bunk to do so.   Just be aware of the neighbors.
  • Overall, our lead acid batteries work OK.  I do stress them every morning with our coffee and  microwave cooking, as well as at night with microwave cooking.  They have lasted us over four years now, but I suspect that next summer I will want/need to replace.  Most likely with lithium's.  I suspect that you could save $$  by getting the standard L.A, and then waiting a few years for the Litho upgrade.
  • You will FOR SURE want to have an Anderson Charge Plug option at the front of your trailer to make easy connection from your Ford rear power point.  
  • I would also get the 3,000 watt inverter if you can.  The lead acid batteries will not make use of the extra 1,000 watt capability.  But when you get the lithium's, you WILL be glad you had that upgrade. to allow A/C, microwave and coffee pot all at the same time!  (GJ Update:  All at one time may be a bit excessive. )
  • For sure get the EZ Start for the A/C.
  • I don't recommend the mattress upgrade.  My budget solution was to purchase via Amazon a Zinus 6 Inch Ultima Memory Foam Mattress.  I got the larger one (Queen I think but double check this), and used a butcher knife to EASILY cut it long wise, and rounded the rear outside corners for a perfect fit on the twin beds.  I place my Zinus below the Ollie standard mattress, and my wife does the opposite.  Saves $$$ and works very well.  But then bedding is something that is different for everybody.  The extra height of both mattresses stacked does make the couch cushions a bit tall.  I may try not using the factory mattresses this coming summer to mitigate this issue some.  But then, the stack up sure works great for sleeping....
  • We chose to get one set of couch cushions.  Why not two?  Because one set will store at night nicely in the dinette area.  Two sets much less so nicely. 

Just some thoughts from a RoF  (Retired Ole Fart)  :-). 

• Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your reply’s and responses. First, I went to Hershey and talked with the rep for truma, they have some great looking products including a/c, a lot fired heater that the rep asked me to talk to the Oliver people about when I toured the facility (I did) and of course, the water heater that goes in the Oliver. Also they had some great portable ac/dc fridge/ freezer units that can be put in the back of a truck, suv etc and you can use as additional fridge or freezer or split the area inside for both depending on your needs. For longer boondocks I think that would be a real help. I saw nothing there that came close to the Oliver’s quality and I placed an order while I was in Hohenwald. To answer some questions about the F150’s generator, the truck is a hybrid as such the generator uses the stored power in the batteries until that is exhausted and then it turns itself on and off as nessasary to recharge the batteries and provide power in this case to the trailer. (You can not get in and drive it without the keys ) The truck idling in that way is super quiet you need to be standing next to it to know if it’s running or not so it’s far quieter than any other generator and I doubt anyone anywhere near me will realize what I am doing. On YouTube a guy with the same truck With a full tank of gas ran AC and microwave 24 hours for about 7 days in a 30 ft airstream so I think it will do much better in an Ollie. I ordered the soft start and the 4 agm battery’s  and a zamp  plug for suitcase solar panels when those battery’s die I’ll probably replace with lithium’s and add an inverter. It’s just so expensive to get them now.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 6:26 PM, ChrisMI said:

@John E Davies I think the Ford system lets you draw from the battery until it needs to be recharged. The engine comes on to recharge it and the process starts over. I would personally put in a couple lithium batteries vs the agm for your constant cycling of the charge system but you could probably skip the solar if you wanted to. 

We have solar and feel it is worthwhile.  Solar panels charge the battery while traveling, as well as when camped.  Our lithium batteries are full by mid morning after small overnight draw down from running the MaxAir fan, charging electronics and the usual phantom amp usage. 

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Brad Armstrong said:

I saw nothing there that came close to the Oliver’s quality and I placed an order while I was in Hohenwald.

So much for the 98% certainty - it changed into 100%!

Congrates! And, welcome to the family.  Enjoy working with a company that really does do business differently.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2021 at 2:06 PM, Brad Armstrong said:

But is the 4 6v AGM battery upgrade worth the freedom from checking battery water hassle?

Brad:

My wife and I have a 2022 Elite II on order.  We are weighing battery upgrade issues as well. 

Although I have no RV experience, I would not spend the extra $1200 to upgrade from wet cell to AGM.  Both wet cell and AGMs have lead/acid chemistry, and will likely last anywhere from 3-5 years.   Like most folks, I have wet cell batteries in my vehicles, but until recently, used 12V AGMs to power my CPAP machine on extended wilderness river trips because they are sealed (I now use 12V LiFeP04 batteries to save weight).   5 years is the most I ever get from either wet cells or AGMs.

It would not be worth $1200 to me ($240-$400 per year depending on whether they last 3 or 5 years) to avoid topping off the wet cells for that period of time.  When they die, I would then replace the wet cells with AGMs, because the price differential between wet cell and AGM is not that much.  You can buy highly-rated 100Ah AGM batteries today for about $200, so about $800 for 400Ah. 

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Battery-Marine-Off-grid-Applications/dp/B075RFXHYK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=7JH0DV2V7EOD&keywords=100ah+agm+deep+cycle+battery+12v&qid=1636300229&sprefix=100ah+agm+deep+cycle+battery%2Caps%2C279&sr=8-3

That said, we are presently planning to spend the extra $$$$ on the Lithium Pro Package, for many reasons:  (1) we view it as "future proofing" (it's a lot easier to have the more robust 3kw inverter and wiring infrastructure installed during construction); (2) we hope to be able to run the AC with just our 2kw generator, which requires the Micro Air Easy Start (which is also much easier to install in the factory before the AC goes on the roof);  (3) we want to be able to run the AC, albeit for only a short time, on the batteries; (4) LiFePO4 accepts a full charge much faster than lead/acid, and so is more efficiently recharged with solar; (5) 390Ah of LiFePO4 provides much more usable battery capacity than 400 Ah of wet cell, because only about 50% of lead/acid capacity is usable before recharge compared to 85% with LiFePO4; (6) payload,and therefore trailer weight, is an issue with our 2019 Tundra 5.7L Double Cab tow vehicle, and LiFePO4 saves a couple hundred pounds vs. lead/acid and (7) the increased cost is offset to some extent by the 10-year probable life of LiFePO4 batteries.

If I had a 7.2kw, relatively quiet and efficient, generator built into my tow vehicle, I may view the lithium upgrade differently.

Hope this helps.

Ralph Pond

Edited by Rivernerd
typo
  • Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg