Jump to content

Fresh Water


Bill and Nancy

Recommended Posts

This may be a stupid question but I was wondering what most people do in between trips when the Ollie is sitting idle for a few weeks at a time. Should I fill my fresh water tank, empty it or don’t worry about it until it’s time to winterize?

Bill

  • Like 1


Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

It depends. If it is always filled with chlorinated city water, that is fine. If you are filling from unknown wells, that can be very risky. Always use a basic filter at your inlet port, change it at least annually. Shock treat with bleach  annually. In between, it’s up to you to decide if you want to dump or treat more often. What is your risk tolerance?

On short weekend trips I fill up only at home with softened city water, and I leave the tank partially full until the next trip, when I run about 30 gallons  of extra water through to flush it out. On long trips I try to choose my water sources wisely. For long term storage, I keep only soft water in my system to avoid mineral buildup. I no longer bother to winterize  because my indoor storage stays warm. And with soft water I don’t have to use vinegar any more. Soft water sitting or flowing in pipes actually cleans them over the space of six months.

BTW it isn’t a stupid question at all.
 

John Davies

Spokane WA

  • Like 6

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After each trip when returning home we empty our fresh tank. We refill again with home tap water the day we depart on our next trip. We sanitize usually once a season. We do not drink water from our fresh tank. We carry plenty of bottled water.

Patriot🇺🇸

  • Like 8

 

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have chlorinated city water at our house so when we get home after camping trips I drain the fresh water tank to empty out any water left from our last campground hookup, then I run our house water through the trailer city water connection to flush all the faucets and toilet, then I fill the fresh tank, drain it, then fill it again and run all the faucets again using the trailer onboard pump.  This gets our chlorinated house water into all the trailer lines (and I leave the fresh tank full with our house water).   

 I repeat this process once a week or so, including draining and refilling the fresh water tank if the trailer is sitting at home for any length of time between trips to keep the water fairly fresh.  I also plug into shore power about once a week at home to keep the trailer batteries charged, and I get the propane tanks refilled.  

It’s easy to do (I have quick connect hose couplings on all of the trailer water connections) and this way I have a 30 gallon emergency fresh water supply at the ready if anything happens at the house with city water being turned off due to borough water line maintenance, etc.  Plus the trailer is ready to go on short notice if needed (think of the situation of the folks in East Palestine Ohio that had to evacuate after the train derailment). I like being prepared for emergencies as much as possible, and a stocked & ready Ollie provides a good backup for a lot of situations.

We do drink and cook with the water from our fresh water tank while camping, but we always use a multistage filter system.  I do winterize as recommended during winter months, and I do the bleach sanitizing process in the spring after de-winterizing.  

  • Like 8

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

We usually leave water in the fresh tank.  If it’s only a month or so between trips we’ll just go with what we have.  If it’s a couple of months or more I will empty and refill right before we leave.  I do the bleach thing once a year.  We don’t drink or cook with our fresh water.  I also carry a small water softener for when we’re on city water.  Mike

  • Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bill and Nancy said:

This may be a stupid question but I was wondering what most people do in between trips when the Ollie is sitting idle for a few weeks at a time. Should I fill my fresh water tank, empty it or don’t worry about it until it’s time to winterize?

Bill

I use a portable 3-stage water filtration system for ANY water going into my baby. I also do the annual bleach cleanse. We fill up at home regardless of the distinations hookup arrangements (just in case). Most of the time we drain it after each trip, unless we're blessed with another trip within a couple of weeks. I'm in Bakersfield, CA, so freezing is not a concern, but due to heat in the summer, all water is drained after every trip.

  • Like 4

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Frank C said:

 I also plug into shore power about once a week at home to keep the trailer batteries charged, and I get the propane tanks refilled.  

Frank: 

Great water process and planning for an emergency BugOut.

The only caution I would suggest to new owners is to be aware that if they have LiFePO4 batteries, to know their specific charging requirements.  For our Battleborns, it is not recommended to keep floating them to 100% for both use or for storage.  Each mfg has specific charging and storage requirements for their batteries, and some, such as Battleborn, especially so for unattended deep cold winter storage, and it is not anywhere close to 100% SOC.

Thanks for sharing your process.  I'll be copycatting some of your thoughts into my routine as a result.

GJ

  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

  image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

Frank: 

Great water process and planning for an emergency BugOut.

The only caution I would suggest to new owners is to be aware that if they have LiFePO4 batteries, to know their specific charging requirements.  For our Battleborns, it is not recommended to keep floating them to 100% for both use or for storage.  Each mfg has specific charging and storage requirements for their batteries, and some, such as Battleborn, especially so for unattended deep cold winter storage, and it is not anywhere close to 100% SOC.

Thanks for sharing your process.  I'll be copycatting some of your thoughts into my routine as a result.

GJ

I should have mentioned that I have the good old fashioned lead acid wet cells.   

  • Like 1

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the information this is our first year with the trailer we bought it last October and only got to use it for about 10 days. It sat for 3 months winterized and we just flushed and bleached everything. So the tank is now empty and I will leave it empty until our next trip hopefully the weekend after easter. Its been plugged into shore power all winter so I guess we need to run the lithium batteries down and re charge them. Thats next on the list of things to do

Bill

  • Like 1


Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're the HOT weather campers so.... Will the 7 cup fit in the door of the Dometic OEM frig?

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

  image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

We're the HOT weather campers so.... Will the 7 cup fit in the door of the Dometic OEM frig?

GJ

You can’t travel with the filter pitcher full of water, it will leak like crazy, but you could store it anywhere empty….just keep a small full juice bottle in the fridge for chilling and refill it as needed. Or a gallon milk jug. When you stop for the day, fill the pitcher and it is ready to drink in five minutes.

John Davies

Spokane WA

  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/27/2023 at 2:23 PM, Bill and Nancy said:

Its been plugged into shore power all winter so I guess we need to run the lithium batteries down and re charge them.

Our situation is similar.  We took delivery in mid-November, drove our Hull #1291 back to Idaho, then garaged and winterized it for the winter.

Per Lithionics' protocol, I did the "run down and recharge" cycle a couple of weeks ago.  For our Lithium Pro package, I was surprised that, after shore power was disconnected, it took a couple of days with just the 12V lights and the battery heater drawing power to run the batteries down to reserve status.  Next time, I plan to turn on the inverter and run a 120V space heater to see how much that speeds up the "run down" process.

I recommend you make it a priority to do the "run down and recharge" cycle soon, to maximize the life of your lithiums.

  • Like 2

 

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/27/2023 at 2:34 PM, Frank C said:

We have chlorinated city water at our house so when we get home after camping trips I drain the fresh water tank to empty out any water left from our last campground hookup, then I run our house water through the trailer city water connection to flush all the faucets and toilet, then I fill the fresh tank, drain it, then fill it again and run all the faucets again using the trailer onboard pump.  This gets our chlorinated house water into all the trailer lines (and I leave the fresh tank full with our house water).   

 I repeat this process once a week or so, including draining and refilling the fresh water tank if the trailer is sitting at home for any length of time between trips to keep the water fairly fresh.  I also plug into shore power about once a week at home to keep the trailer batteries charged, and I get the propane tanks refilled.  

It’s easy to do (I have quick connect hose couplings on all of the trailer water connections) and this way I have a 30 gallon emergency fresh water supply at the ready if anything happens at the house with city water being turned off due to borough water line maintenance, etc.  Plus the trailer is ready to go on short notice if needed (think of the situation of the folks in East Palestine Ohio that had to evacuate after the train derailment). I like being prepared for emergencies as much as possible, and a stocked & ready Ollie provides a good backup for a lot of situations.

We do drink and cook with the water from our fresh water tank while camping, but we always use a multistage filter system.  I do winterize as recommended during winter months, and I do the bleach sanitizing process in the spring after de-winterizing.  

Awesome write-up, Frank!  We've been using Berkey Water Filters in our campers for years.  Our house water is supplied by an artesian well and tastes great without any weird smell to it - so that's what we start of with on our camping trips.  For the Ollie, we like the Travel Berkey - smallest one they make (19"H x 7.5"W), and easy for carrying in the Oliver, we move it around but it usually lives on the night stand.  We typically don't drink from the fresh water system but I'm sure we've cooked with it.  The Berkey system is simple - no moving

parts, gravity drains.  Here's a pic off their website:image.thumb.png.99387fc040ffb76e216868c5727062f1.png

So it holds 1.5gal and can filter up to 2.75g/hr depending on how frequently it's filled. This feature makes the it a great solution for emergencies when your water source is questionable.  Like you, we keep our rig watered, fueled, and loaded with dedicated kit just in case something "HTF".  We like to keep the fresh water tank as sanitized as possible - so it gets treated 2-3x annually.  We also carry a Katadyn KFT Expedition pump filter - works great when the situation presents itself.  Water is the next "gold", IMHO.  

  • Like 4

image.jpeg.d2bb1fb57cf69bbe58358f874b3bbff4.jpeg

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

  • 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

We've been using Berkey Water Filters in our campers for years.

We’ve been using a Travel Berkey for several years also.  When we are getting ready to leave our campsite, we drain all the water into a jug and put in the fridge, fill our travel water bottles, etc.  Then we remove the upper half of the Berkey, invert it and nest it in the lower half.   Set it in the sink and pad it with some towels.  It travels nicely that way.   We haven’t figured out a convenient place to put it inside the cabin while camping, so it’s usually outside on a portable table, unless it’s freezing. 

  • Like 3

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

We’ve been using a Travel Berkey for several years also.  When we are getting ready to leave our campsite, we drain all the water into a jug and put in the fridge, fill our travel water bottles, etc.  Then we remove the upper half of the Berkey, invert it and nest it in the lower half.   Set it in the sink and pad it with some towels.  It travels nicely that way.   We haven’t figured out a convenient place to put it inside the cabin while camping, so it’s usually outside on a portable table, unless it’s freezing. 

HA!  That’s exactly how we do it!  Great minds…, rights?👍🏼😎

  • Like 1

image.jpeg.d2bb1fb57cf69bbe58358f874b3bbff4.jpeg

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

  • 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

KFT Expedition pump filter

Those are great filter units.  Which one do you carry in your Ollie?

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

  image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Those are great filter units.  Which one do you carry in your Ollie?

GJ

We've got the Katadyn Expedition base camp filter.  Super heavy duty and not light weight (about 12lbs); fairly compact.Expedition.thumb.png.bf9aad05fde9ef157369bb7ce3445606.png

  • Like 1

image.jpeg.d2bb1fb57cf69bbe58358f874b3bbff4.jpeg

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

  • 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...